New Diaw article on CNNsi.com

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
A Fresh Start

Ian Thompson

An early candidate for the most improved player award is the Suns' multilingual playmaker Boris Diaw, a Frenchman who sees the bright side of everything -- including the two years he spent with the Atlanta Hawks. When the Suns decided to participate in the controversial sign-and-trade that sent Joe Johnson to Atlanta, they sought two No. 1 picks and Diaw, whom GM Bryan Colangelo coveted even as Diaw spent all but 18.2 minutes a game last season wasting away on the Hawks' bench.
Diaw fell out of favor with the Hawks because he would rather pass than score. "But I understand that," says Diaw, the No. 21 pick in the 2003 draft by Atlanta. "If the team is not winning, you need everybody to score if you're going to win that night. It's not depressing. Of course it's tough when you're losing games, but you try every night anyway -- you don't have any choice."

The Suns are counting on the 23-year-old Diaw for the kind of all-around performances that made him arguably the best player in the European Championships last September in Serbia, where his team-high 13.7 points and 3.4 assists a game led third-place France to its first basketball medal in almost 50 years. Diaw smiles when asked about his reputation for lacking a killer instinct. "I don't want to score every time I come down the court, so maybe people say, 'OK, he doesn't want to kill people,'" Diaw says. "But for me, making the right pass at the right moment is a killing play. That's how I kill people."

Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni is convinced that Diaw can be a "major" player for the Suns: "He can rebound, he can shot-block, he's very cerebral about what he's doing." The Suns will use him as a power forward and occasionally at center, where he will employ quickness and guile to help make up for his lack of size.

In Atlanta Diaw was a wing player, the same position he held for his previous employer, the French championship club Pau-Orthez. But in Phoenix the 6-foot-8 Diaw will help fill in for the injured Amaré Stoudemire as a point-forward on offense and help Kurt Thomas on defense as a surprisingly effective shot-blocker.

"I was playing '3' (small forward) most of the time in France," said Diaw. "But every time in practice the coach said something to a big guy, I listened to it, too, and tried to keep it in mind."

"I don't want to necessarily classify him as [another] Joe Johnson," said Colangelo, "but Joe Johnson came here in a deal we made with Boston under very similar circumstances -- he was very skilled, very talented, but 'he didn't have a killer instinct, didn't play hard all the time, didn't seem to care about the game,'" added Colangelo, referring to the negatives he used to hear. Johnson outgrew those labels while playing for Phoenix, and Colangelo believes that Diaw could undergo a similar transformation this season. "Boris is coming into a very similar situation," said Colangelo. "There's little bit of difference in the type of players they are, but you're talking about two guys -- one 6-8, the other 6-9 -- who were considered somewhat passive in their approach to the game. We were pleased, obviously, with Joe, and so far we're moving in the right direction with Boris. He's a young player with a ton of upside."

:thewave: and that last paragraph is the one i have been waiting for from someone in the Suns front office. I have thought they were similar for the last couple months and that is a small bit of validation. i really believe that Diaw can turn into a major player for this team in about 2 seasons worth of time. Depending if he can learn to shoot as well as Joe, he could be even better. Obviously his stats are not much yet but i think most of us watching the games have seen that he is a smart player (even smarter then Joe) and an even better defender with his length and shot blocking ability. I'm not saying Diaw will definetly turn into a player of Joe's caliber but the two scenarios due seem very similar.....

Good job Suns, this will end up looking better than haveing traded for Childress and maybe even Josh Smith in the long run....

So the changing of the guard is here.....Joe Johnson, we had some good times.....you were my favorite player and i used to pimp you to any Suns fan who would listen even right when we traded for you...but now you are gone and i have to pick a new player to be my cofavorite with STAT.....

So yes, its official.....i am on the Diaw bandwagon.....:thumbup:

nowagimp

Reaction score
I think the statement of passivity is where these players are most similar. Boris has a long way to go to be as good a shooter as Joe. I do not expect him to be as good a long range shooter. I do expect him to be a better defender(ultimately) and finisher at the rim, due to his athleticism. He will also develop into a better passer, because he has the skills, smarts and as we now know, he is less selfish (he wont mind playing "second fiddle to the MVP"). He will also be a better teammate to STAT.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If he can keep finding Marion cutting to the basket and getting him easy alley-oops then Amare is going to love playing with this guy. I think there are a lot of similarities between Boris and JJ (when he 1st came over from Boston). They both handle the ball well. They both pass well (although I think Boris is much better so far). They both seem to defend well, but at different positions. They both play quiet and kind of emotionless, but they're effective.

One of the main differences between JJ and Boris is that when JJ 1st came over from Boston, his shot looked really good (form-wise) but it didn't go in that often . I haven't seen Boris shoot that often but I don't think his form on his shot is as good as Joe's. They both lack confidence in thier shooting, which JJ eventually overcame. Hopefully Diaw can do the same thing by the end of next season (when his contract is up) and we can resign him.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Diaw has never shown the stroke that JJ did even though their percentages may not have been much different. While Diaw may never shoot like Joe, I don't think Joe will ever distribute the ball like Diaw.

Diaw is very much a "point forward". JJ is a big 2 guard that can handle well enough to play the point but I don't think he will ever flourish at PG.

I think once Diaw is more comfortable in the system he will be a very valuable and dynamic piece for this team.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
If he can keep finding Marion cutting to the basket and getting him easy alley-oops then Amare is going to love playing with this guy. I think there are a lot of similarities between Boris and JJ (when he 1st came over from Boston). They both handle the ball well. They both pass well (although I think Boris is much better so far). They both seem to defend well, but at different positions. They both play quiet and kind of emotionless, but they're effective.

One of the main differences between JJ and Boris is that when JJ 1st came over from Boston, his shot looked really good (form-wise) but it didn't go in that often . I haven't seen Boris shoot that often but I don't think his form on his shot is as good as Joe's. They both lack confidence in thier shooting, which JJ eventually overcame. Hopefully Diaw can do the same thing by the end of next season (when his contract is up) and we can resign him.

He is signed until 2007-2008 season.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Suns Exercise Fourth-Year Options on Barbosa, Diaw

Posted: Oct. 27, 2005

The Phoenix Suns today extended the contracts of Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw by exercising the fourth-year options of their rookie scale contracts. Both players will remain under contract with the team through at least the 2006-07 season with the Suns holding the right of first refusal when Barbosa and Diaw become restricted free agents in the summer of 2007.

“Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw are two very exciting and talented young players,” said Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “We look forward to their continued development and contributions.”

Barbosa, 22, whose draft rights (28th overall in the 2003 NBA Draft) were acquired from the San Antonio Spurs for a future first-round pick on June 26, 2003, owns career averages of 7.5 points, 1.9 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 133 games (52 starts) over two seasons with the Suns.

In the 2005 preseason, Barbosa is averaging 9.7 points, 2.7 rebounds and 3.8 assists (tied for 27th in the NBA) in 24.5 minutes in six games.

The 6-3, 188-pound guard led his native Brazil to the gold medal last summer at the 2005 FIBA Americas Championship in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and was named to the All-Tournament Team after averaging 20.3 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 2.1 steals in eight games.

Diaw, 23, who was acquired from the Atlanta Hawks in a sign-and-trade deal along with two conditional first-round draft picks for guard Joe Johnson on August 19, 2005, averaged 4.6 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 142 career games (62 starts) in his first two NBA seasons with Atlanta.

In the 2005 preseason, the 6-8, 215-pound swingman is averaging 5.9 points, 3.6 rebounds, 4.4 assists (16th) and 1.57 blocks (18th) in 22.6 minutes in seven games.

Diaw earned a bronze medal at the 2005 European Championships last summer and was named to the All-Tournament Team after averaging 13.7 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists in seven contests for France.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I for one don't think JJ and Diaw are that close as players. I do think Jones and JJ are a much better comparison. And Jones has a much better shot than JJ as of right now. If Jones gets his confidence and athleticism up he will be a big part of this team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone notice how Mike D'Antoni referred to Diaw as "6-9" and JJ as "6-8"? I know its only one inch, but if Diaw is really 6-9 and 225, playing as a pf or even a c doesn't seem as much of a stretch.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
SweetD said:
I for one don't think JJ and Diaw are that close as players. I do think Jones and JJ are a much better comparison. And Jones has a much better shot than JJ as of right now. If Jones gets his confidence and athleticism up he will be a big part of this team.

As far as the corner threes I think Jones could be at least as good if not better than JJ.
He lacks JJ ability when he has to put it on the floor though. So far he is not a though cover but if you leave him open he will hurt you.

I expect once Amare returns he will be getting open more often.

JCSunsfan said:
Anyone notice how Mike D'Antoni referred to Diaw as "6-9" and JJ as "6-8"? I know its only one inch, but if Diaw is really 6-9 and 225, playing as a pf or even a c doesn't seem as much of a stretch.

He is pretty effective in the point center role.

Not much of a stretch but a stretch it is.

Against other forwards playing center he is fine.