New Foo -- rocks!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://wastinglight.foofighters.com/

You can listen to the whole thing for free at the site.

White Limo featurning Lemmy is some old school punk, y'all. There are lots of good tracks.

RnR Hall of Fame is going to have to build a Dave Grohl wing. Everything he touches is magic. He should just go in right now.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Foo Fighters will wind up as one of the best of all time IMHO.

Thanks for the link Matt.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Matt. Love the Foo Fighters. Saw them back in the day in Camden. They totally rocked.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Foo went low-tech for this recording: 2" tape! Old school. They converted tape to digital for post, but the sound is so freakin' big. That's what tape does. Wish more bands did it. The drums sound like Bonham.

http://emusician.com/interviews/feature/foo_fighters/

Love this quote:

“Digital editing has robbed drummers of their identity, just like that. I’m heartbroken by what heavy-handed producers have done with drummers over the last 10 years.”

“A drummer walks into a studio,” he continues, like he’s telling a Borscht Belt joke. “He says, ‘This is how I play the drums,’ and the producer says, ‘That’s not good enough. I am going to make you sound like a machine.’ That’s f**king lame! I am not the greatest drummer in the world, but when I record drums, it doesn’t sound perfect and I am all over the place and the cymbals wash a little hard, but that’s how I play the drums. If you don’t like it, don’t call me back. I wish that every drummer would tell their producer, ‘That f**king machine doesn’t make me sound like me. It makes me sound like you, and you’re not the drummer, motherf**ker.’ We’ve got Taylor Hawkins—who is the greatest f**king rock drummer I’ve ever played with—why not let Taylor sound like Taylor? So that’s why we used tape and no computers.”

Ghraxx

Reaction score
Sounds very good. I've liked Dave Grohl for awhile now. Ever since the best of you came out ive followed his work

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I love this recording, I've been listening to it nonstop since I bought it.

A couple of performances from a recent SNL appearence.

Then there's the official video featuring LEMMY!

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good post, O. You just convinced me to get the album. I have always liked the Foo.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a damn good rock and roll album. Not nearly enough of these nowadays. I read an interview with the band last week and they were complaining that they have a much harder time finding stations that will play their songs now. I don't think rock will ever die, but it's sick if a band with an album this good is struggling to get on the air.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a damn good rock and roll album. Not nearly enough of these nowadays. I read an interview with the band last week and they were complaining that they have a much harder time finding stations that will play their songs now. I don't think rock will ever die, but it's sick if a band with an album this good is struggling to get on the air.

I think we live in a post-radio world and Foo is far beyond that. It will probably go platinum without a single on the radio. If it gets air time on a popular TV show, maybe double-platinum.

I'm confident sales are brisk already because everyone in my world is talking and raving about this one. A lot of the comments have been along the line of "Foo is saving rock and roll for the next generation." I bet Foo has the largest age demographic of any current popular arist. People in their 50s and 60s and buying this stuff ...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we live in a post-radio world and Foo is far beyond that. It will probably go platinum without a single on the radio. If it gets air time on a popular TV show, maybe double-platinum.

I'm confident sales are brisk already because everyone in my world is talking and raving about this one. A lot of the comments have been along the line of "Foo is saving rock and roll for the next generation." I bet Foo has the largest age demographic of any current popular arist. People in their 50s and 60s and buying this stuff ...

What they meant is that there are far fewer rock stations than when they started. And, when they go different places, there just aren't many rock stations. Other formats are more common. They aren't worried about sales, obviously. Think about it.... 2 million plus people in Phoenix and how many stations are going to play this album? KDKB, KUPD and that's it.

Big rock bands like the Foo Fighters are okay, but newer bands have a much bigger hill to climb than bands in the 80s and 90s did. Almost no one can make money on music sales, there are fewer places for live music, etc. Sure, you can get a Facebook page and post your stuff on Youtube. But, there is not much promotion for new acts now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05