New Head Coaches 2016 Early Predictions

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Indy is going to go big on their head coach. It is the best opportunity in the game. Sean Payton, Chip Kelly, and Brian Kelly are the first names that come to mind. Essentially, the Colts want someone to get the most out of Luck.

I'm not shocked that Bradley gets another year. The Jags need stability, and progress has been made. The offense can score. The defense will get a healthy pass rusher back in the off season. As long as they shore up the secondary, they should be primed to push for a winning record.
The rest is too "Mitch" for me to comment on. Pettine, Pagano, Chud, Shula, Gase, Marrone, and Koetter are probably to guys for a gig.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Here is one less opening.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Jaguars owner Shad Khan released a statement confirming that Gus Bradley will return as head coach next season.

I am happy for him. I think he deserves it.

I am enjoying everyone's thoughts---you are all making great points. It's going to be very interesting to see how it develops.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Glad you found that because I was gonna state how I could see them hiring a former Niner great from the past. Holmgren fits the bill & that would further toughen the NFC West.

Now let's just hope Stl don't get smart & Fire Fisher because they've got talent & if the ever get a bonfire HC & a better QB watch out

Holmgren hasn't coached a professional football team since 2008 and that was a 4-12 team that got him fired. He's 68 years old. I'd be thrilled if the hired the Walrus. Do you remember how soft those Seahawk teams of the mid-2000s really were?

What coach is the Rams going to bring in who's better than Jeff Fisher?

Buckybird

Reaction score
It won't be long until guys like Bettcher, Goodwin & Buckner names start popping up for HC jobs.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Holmgren hasn't coached a professional football team since 2008 and that was a 4-12 team that got him fired. He's 68 years old. I'd be thrilled if the hired the Walrus. Do you remember how soft those Seahawk teams of the mid-2000s really were?

You mean the Mike Holmgren that had what like 2 losing seasons in Seattle? And soft? Lol Pretty tough running the rock down almost everyone's throats for years! The guy knows football K9 don't let the age fool ya! Tom Moore...Tom Pratt...Larry Zuerlein cough cough. If Holmgren wants back in he's gonna give it his all.

Fisher is soooooo overrated dude come on. He's lived off 1 great season for 10 years like Wiz did

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Here is one less opening.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Jaguars owner Shad Khan released a statement confirming that Gus Bradley will return as head coach next season.

I was getting ready to chime in that Jax staff has next year to get something done. If they don't, they're all gone.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eagles fire Chip Kelley... NFL bottom line

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It would be awesome to see Pagano join this staff in some capacity if he doesn't return to Indy.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yet Holmgren is lobbying for the SF job. He's a dinosaur sure, but so is BA and all of his assistants. Why are you so sure he's worse than what they have? I don't think so at all, he has a pedigree. A really good one. He's learned under some of the best, and somehow made Favre relevant. Favre is probably Jeff George without Holmgren. Holmgren learned under Bill Walsh. Age doesn't matter in this scenario, I'd rather they stay put.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yet Holmgren is lobbying for the SF job. He's a dinosaur sure, but so is BA and all of his assistants. Why are you so sure he's worse than what they have? I don't think so at all, he has a pedigree. A really good one. He's learned under some of the best, and somehow made Favre relevant. Favre is probably Jeff George without Holmgren. Holmgren learned under Bill Walsh. Age doesn't matter in this scenario, I'd rather they stay put.

Holmgren was lobbying for the SF job last year. I'm not sure he's worse than what they have, but I don't think that going from Tomsula to Holmgren "makes the NFC West even tougher," either.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Holmgren was lobbying for the SF job last year. I'm not sure he's worse than what they have, but I don't think that going from Tomsula to Holmgren "makes the NFC West even tougher," either.

What SF needs is an offensive-minded HC who can revitalize their offense. Holmgren's style of offense is a very good fit for their personnel, with their o-line and with RB Carlos Hyde. That said, as you said, he was passed over for the job last year---which likely means the Yorks don't see him as a viable candidate.

The candidate that may be of greatest interest to them, if they want to make a switch, is Adam Gase. Gase will get one of the open jobs this year---possibly in NY with the Giants (Manning ties)---possibly in Detroit (to make Stafford and company consistently dynamic).

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
What SF needs is an offensive-minded HC who can revitalize their offense. Holmgren's style of offense is a very good fit for their personnel, with their o-line and with RB Carlos Hyde. That said, as you said, he was passed over for the job last year---which likely means the Yorks don't see him as a viable candidate.

The candidate that may be of greatest interest to them, if they want to make a switch, is Adam Gase. Gase will get one of the open jobs this year---possibly in NY with the Giants (Manning ties)---possibly in Detroit (to make Stafford and company consistently dynamic).

With Goff as the heir apparent at QB, gotta believe Holmgren and plenty others are licking their chops!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

How strong are those Manning ties, really? They weren't enough to get him promoted to HC with the Broncos, who likely knew him as well as anyone.

Is the traditional WCO still valuable in today's NFL? Who runs it?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
How strong are those Manning ties, really? They weren't enough to get him promoted to HC with the Broncos, who likely knew him as well as anyone.

Is the traditional WCO still valuable in today's NFL? Who runs it?

John Elway wanted a clean break from John Fox and his staff, primarily because (a) he wanted Kubiak and (b) he wanted to take the control of the offense out of Peyton Manning's hands.

Peyton has always raved about Adam Gase. Thus, it isn't a stretch to think that Peyton would endorse Gase as the right coach for Eli.

Actually, when you think about it, BA runs a version of the WCO, because of his emphasis on throwing short passes to set up the vertical passing game.

Holmgren's offense in Seattle was not a typical WCO, as in his case he put primary emphasis on the running game, and play-action off of it. This is what I was alluding to when I said that his philosophy matches up well with the 49ers' personnel.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
With Goff as the heir apparent at QB, gotta believe Holmgren and plenty others are licking their chops!

This is also why I believe that the 49ers can make a run for Stanford's David Shaw. It is highly likely that the 49ers will be in position to select Jared Goff or Paxton Lynch.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
John Elway wanted a clean break from John Fox and his staff, primarily because (a) he wanted Kubiak and (b) he wanted to take the control of the offense out of Peyton Manning's hands.

Peyton has always raved about Adam Gase. Thus, it isn't a stretch to think that Peyton would endorse Gase as the right coach for Eli.

Actually, when you think about it, BA runs a version of the WCO, because of his emphasis on throwing short passes to set up the vertical passing game.

Holmgren's offense in Seattle was not a typical WCO, as in his case he put primary emphasis on the running game, and play-action off of it. This is what I was alluding to when I said that his philosophy matches up well with the 49ers' personnel.

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't believe a two year relationship with his brother is enough for Eli to push hard for Gase to go to New York. The Giants will make a smart hire as they tend to be a franchise that thinks things thru.

In regards to offenses in the NFL, the general theme anymore is to spread defenses out to identify blitzes, and getting the ball out quickly. I'm not sure if we want to call that spread or west coast, but there are elements of both in that format of offense. Some teams are more comfortable implementing more vertical routes in that format, or more focus on running the ball, but there aren't many truly unique offenses in the NFL anymore.

The variations are more in how routes are designed and tempo vs scheme. Green Bay and Arizona are good examples. Green Bay doesn't design routes to get wide receivers open. This puts the focus on the receiver winning quickly and Rodgers throwing them open with his accuracy. Same offense is run in New York for the Giants. Arizona runs more option routes that depend on the wide receiver and QB being on the same page. This option based passing game forces Palmer to hold onto the ball longer than Green Bay, New York G, and New England. They splash in a vertical patterns, but those are still dependent on the wide receiver winning or drawing a flag. New England on the other hand schemes their wide receivers open by route combination designs. They still run a quick timing offense ala Green Bay, but their routes aren't dependent the receiver winning, they are designed to get a wide receiver open which is where Brady is supposed to deliver the ball.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05