New Los Angeles football stadium proposal

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

Roski Will Unveil Plan for NFL Stadium in Los Angeles (Update1)

By Daniel Taub

April 17 (Bloomberg) -- Developer Edward P. Roski Jr. will unveil plans today to build a National Football League stadium in Los Angeles in an effort to lure a team to the city.

The arena would be built on an almost 600-acre site in the City of Industry and include 75,000 seats and 175 suites, according to a stadium Web site. It would be surrounded by a complex including a shopping mall, office buildings, restaurants, a movie theater and a Broadway-style theater.

Roski, part owner of the city's Lakers basketball and Kings hockey teams and chief executive officer of Majestic Realty Co., has sought to bring professional football back to Los Angeles for more than a decade. Eleven years ago, Roski teamed with billionaire Philip F. Anschutz in an unsuccessful bid to gain an NFL expansion team for the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Roski plans to make the announcement this morning at Staples Center, the basketball-and-hockey arena he helped build with Anschutz. He calls his new project Los Angles Stadium. He didn't immediately return a message left at his office.

``We're aware of it and we will monitor developments,'' Greg Aiello, a spokesman for the NFL, said of Roski's plan.

Los Angeles, the second-largest U.S. city, has been without an NFL team since 1995, when the Raiders moved back to Oakland, California, after playing at the Coliseum for 13 years, and the Rams left nearby Anaheim for St. Louis.

Super Bowl Plan

The new arena would anchor 2.9 million square feet of commercial space, including 1.5 million square feet of office buildings, 833,000 square feet of retail shops, 162,000 square feet of restaurants, a 5,000-seat live theater, and movie theaters with 1,200 seats. It would be expandable to 80,000 seats for Super Bowl games.

The stadium would cost about $800 million and be ready for the 2011 football season, Roski said in an interview with the Los Angeles Times yesterday. Roski wants the NFL to provide a $150 million loan and commit to holding at least one Super Bowl there, the newspaper reported on its Web site.

Roski was ranked No. 195 on last year's Forbes list of the 400 richest Americans, with an estimated net worth of $2.3 billion. His company is a closely held developer of industrial, retail and other commercial properties. It owns, manages and leases about 70 million square feet of space.

In addition to the Coliseum, the Rose Bowl in Pasadena as well as sites in the cities of Anaheim, Carson, Inglewood and Irwindale have been pitched to the league as stadium sites by other developers.

The City of Industry location is about 25 miles (40 kilometers) east of the Coliseum.

California lawmakers yesterday pulled a proposal backed by the City of Industry to divert $829 million in county property tax revenue from basic government services to subsidize development projects, the Los Angeles Times reported today. Opponents of the measure, including Los Angeles County Supervisor Gloria Molina, said the money shouldn't be used just to attract an NFL team, the newspaper reported.

Reaction score
So they are going to build this stadium with just the hope of luring a NFL team? Is that right? With no more certainty of usage than a maybe, I don't see this happening...

But, if there are backroom discussions being held with an existing NFL owner, or perhaps even USC, then that's a different story.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which city would be the most likely candidate to lose their team?

Is there a city that has not passed new stadium funding?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night they were mentioning City Of Industry. Between the 60 and 57 Freeways.

I was asking which current team would lose their team, so that LA could get one. 32 teams is a magic number for the league, I can't see them adding more anytime soon.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There arent many teams I could see moving.

Maybe New Orleans?

What about San Francisco and all of their stadium issues?

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Jacksonville. That market is too small. They've had to block off seats in that stadium even though they are usually a playoff team. There are rumors the owner wants to sell. Given all those bad factors, I see Jacksonville as the best candidate to be in Los Angeles in the future.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I concur.

The city is in shambles and Qwest field is crap.

You mean Qualcomm Stadium, right?

I've maintained for years that the Raiders would certainly be a candidate to move back to L.A.

IMO, here are the options:

• New Orleans
  • Jacksonville
  • Buffalo
  • Oakland
  • Minnesota
  • San Diego
And, I have heard some rumors that the Rams might also be a potential franchise to move as well. Now that Georgia is gone, there might not be as much of a pull to keep the Rams in St. Louis.

And with Buffalo - they'll probably move to Toronto if anywhere, but they've been rumored for a while as well.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buffalo would move in a heartbeat.

Ralph Wilson can't fill his stadium now and the team is up for sale but has had no bidders because no new owner wants to be in Buffalo with a crap stadium and local blackouts.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Buffalo would move in a heartbeat.

Ralph Wilson can't fill his stadium now and the team is up for sale but has had no bidders because no new owner wants to be in Buffalo with a crap stadium and local blackouts.

I thought your statement didn't sound right skkorp... I always though Buffalo had a huge fan base... and the state bear that out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
I thought your statement didn't sound right skkorp... I always though Buffalo had a huge fan base... and the state bear that out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

Not if you go by percentage which is what covers blackouts etc.
RNK________________________________PCT
30 San Diego____524,019___65,502______91.9
31 Buffalo_______568,437____71,054 ____88.8
32 Jacksonville ___522,410___65,301____ 88.5

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
While I'd be fine w/ LA getting a team and a new stadium, I hope it doesn't open by 2011. I REALLY want the Cardinals/Arizona to get the Super Bowl in 2012, as that would be a great way to kick off Arizona's Centennial Year/Celebration.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think Al Davis would do it.

It would be funny though.

You don't think Al would do it? He's done it TWICE. How many other owners leave a city, then come back? Al Davis. The Raiders in LA makes too much sense. LA loves the Raiders to this day. They would easily sell out every game. If the Vikings or Jags moved there they would just be a way for the locals to see other teams each week creating a Cardinals-esque Sun Devil Stadium atmosphere. The Raiders have tradition and a HUGE fan base in LA. I hope they go back. The only thing that would stop it is if Davis is crazy enough not to do it.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do. They also have a group that is trying to buy the team and Jim Kelly is one of the investors.

http://www.wben.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=08730

They already are leaving.
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2008/04/14/newscolumn2.html?jst=s_cn_hl

And the team is now on a year to year lease.
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2003/03/03/story2.html

And there is real Toronto interest.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/analysis-nfltoronto.html

This was the blackout problem in 2006.
http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/_news/news_355359.php

And a few more in 2007.
http://www.topix.com/forum/nfl/buffalo-bills/TKKK13OBB5DPDAI66

I read an article I'm trying to find again, that for years, Toronto Bills fans have made up almost 30% of the ticket buyers and most of them are not season ticket holders so the team sweats out single game ticket sales nearly every week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05