New Los Angeles football stadium proposal

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
O/t

The Cardinals do an excellent job of drawing attendance on the road. I didn't really think that would be the case.;)

Reaction score
http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_11173000#end

Construction delayed on proposed NFL stadium
By Bethania Palma Markus, Staff Writer
Posted: 12/08/2008 09:41:36 PM PST

INDUSTRY - Construction for a proposed NFL stadium in Industry has been pushed back at least a year, officials said.
Representatives for the developer said the sports facility probably will not open until 2012, a year later than previously projected.

John Semcken, vice president for Majestic Reality Co., said officials at the National Football League want to wait until Industry fully approves the project before moving a team to Los Angeles.

Majestic is owned by Ed Roski Jr., a billionaire listed on the Forbes 500 list of the world's richest people. He is co-owner of the Staples Center and part-owner of the Lakers and Kings.

The 600-acre, $800 million project is slated for a hilly area northwest of the 57-60 freeway interchange.

"From our perspective there has been no change," Semcken said. "We never really had a schedule. The NFL just didn't give us a team."

He stressed there was no delay resulting from the current recession.

Majestic won't build a stadium without the promise of a professional football team to go with it, Semcken said.

NFL officials declined to comment on the project.

Industry city officials said they are in the process of approving the project.

But some believe the delay is proof the project has hit a roadblock.

It could be in part due to strong opposition from members of some surrounding communities, said Walnut Mayor Joaquin Lim.

So let's see...

The NFL won't put a team in LA until they build a stadium.

They won't build a stadium until the NFL puts a team in LA.

It's a perfect match! :cool:

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I was listening to a sports economist a few days ago, and he was saying that it actually makes financial sense for the NFL to keep a team out of LA. The nation's largest TV market makes more money for the NFL if they don't have any constraints on teams that they can show, or if they have to enforce blackouts on the whole area.

I think that in the end, dollars speak louder than words, and with NFL teams in SF, OAK, and SD, the NFL is going to be conservative and probably not move or expand into the LA area.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buffalo or Jacksonville will be the team that moves within 5 years.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
the more i read this thread i cant help but think thank god we got Cardinals Stadium and have had a couple of good years playing wise since moving in.

dont forget we we ALWAYS the first team mentioned when a move was being looked at.

Winning this division and getting a respected franchise together has been timed to perfection. The real hope is we push on and the kids who grow up in AZ support the cards and no one else.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the more i read this thread i cant help but think thank god we got Cardinals Stadium and have had a couple of good years playing wise since moving in.

dont forget we we ALWAYS the first team mentioned when a move was being looked at.

Winning this division and getting a respected franchise together has been timed to perfection. The real hope is we push on and the kids who grow up in AZ support the cards and no one else.

You arent kidding. Had the stadium prop not pass, thanks to Jake Plummer and Coach Mac, the Cardinals would have moved IMO.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The alamo dome was built in hopes of luring an NFL football team, and now it doesn't have a single professional sport played in it. It's biggest function is for conferences and trade shows.

I was just there this past weekend (at Sunset Station, the mostly empty event center right next to it) and I have it on good authority (from the cabbie that took me there) that's exactly what happened.

Yep, I remember good old NEM telling us that it was a sure thing we were going to San Antonio when the first stadium site fell through.

But, San Antonio screwed themselves on the Alamodome. That stadium lacked all the amenities the owners demand now, like luxury boxes, from the get-go. The whole project was very poorly thought out.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You arent kidding. Had the stadium prop not pass, thanks to Jake Plummer and Coach Mac, the Cardinals would have moved IMO.

Nope. Thanks to Aeneas Williams running a fumble back 105 yards to steal a win over the Redskins the Sunday before the election. That, and being smart enough to put funding for the Cactus league and youth sports into the proposition and making all the tax on the tourists. I'd rate those things over Jake and McGinnis, although they helped.

Reaction score
Are you saying it passed thanks to them; or almost didn't pass thanks to Jake and Coach Mac???

:D

Last edited:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If an east coast team moved to LA would they realign the divisions? Having a LA based team in the AFC East, for example, would be kind of silly.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If an east coast team moved to LA would they realign the divisions? Having a LA based team in the AFC East, for example, would be kind of silly.
There's weird divisional placement already. Such as Dallas being in the NFC East, Indianapolis in the AFC South, to name a couple.

CardinalsFan11

Registered
Reaction score
I was listening to a sports economist a few days ago, and he was saying that it actually makes financial sense for the NFL to keep a team out of LA. The nation's largest TV market makes more money for the NFL if they don't have any constraints on teams that they can show, or if they have to enforce blackouts on the whole area.

I think that in the end, dollars speak louder than words, and with NFL teams in SF, OAK, and SD, the NFL is going to be conservative and probably not move or expand into the LA area.

This actually makes a lot of sense.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think the NFL can stop a team from moving if they want to. Remember Al Davis and the whole Oak-LA-Oak deal?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
800 Million dollars for an obsolete stadium?

ROFL

Maybe they didn't pay the artists, but I didn't really see many skyboxes. No roof, No special design, just built into a hill for less steel costs....yet it will still cost 800 million dollars?

Compared to the new cowboy's stadium this one is a Pinto, and costs almost as much. This one looks like a Yugo to ours as well.

Plus anyone else not feel so good about a stadium in L.A. trying to be cheap with steel costs? Sort of like having a archaeological dig next to the leaning tower of Pisa??? Maybe worse.

edit: just re-read it, 175 suites, must be in that darkened part of the pic.

So maybe not so obsolete. But still oh so expensive.

On another glance it kinda reminds me of a cross between SDS with the open breaks and Scottsdale Stadium with the grass lawns

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I still don't think LA will ever support a pro football team like most NFL cities do. They never have.

OKCardFan

Registered
Reaction score
Reminded me of when the Cardinals moved. The Phoenix/Arizona Cards remained in the East division while Atlanta remained in the West until the 2002 realignment.

Even though the owners may be resistant to change because of traditional matchups, it seems to be a huge disadvantage to the teams.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Reminded me of when the Cardinals moved. The Phoenix/Arizona Cards remained in the East division while Atlanta remained in the West until the 2002 realignment.

Even though the owners may be resistant to change because of traditional matchups, it seems to be a huge disadvantage to the teams.

And as you know - being there in OKC - same with the Thunder being stuck in the NBA's Northwest Division...

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge hurdle passed yesterday, as voters approve a $150M measure.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3847920

Bond measure for improvements passes
Associated Press

INDUSTRY, Calif. -- Voters approved a bond measure Tuesday that would provide $150 million for infrastructure improvements at a 600-acre site near Los Angeles where a stadium has been proposed to lure an NFL team.

Voters in Industry, a tiny town about 15 miles east of Los Angeles, passed the measure 60-1, though city officials have yet to certify the plan.

The results support a proposal by billionaire developer Ed Roski's Majestic Real Estate Co. to build an $800 million stadium if an NFL team agrees to move there.

Industry is hosting the latest in a long string of plans to bring an NFL team back to Los Angeles after the Rams and Raiders exited the nation's second-biggest market.

Majestic, which helped develop Staples Center -- home of the NBA's Lakers and Clippers and the NHL's Kings in downtown Los Angeles -- is convinced a disgruntled football team would jump at the chance to play in a new stadium.

NFL officials have said the league is monitoring potential stadium developments in the Los Angeles area but have declined to comment on specific sites or teams that might move to the region.

Majestic agreed with NFL officials not to make any formal overtures to team owners until Industry officials certified the plan, which they could do on Thursday at a City Council meeting.

Neighboring cities worried about traffic and noise have threatened lawsuits to stop the stadium. And there is no guarantee the National Football League would condone Roski shaking loose a team from its current home field.

The $150 million was proposed to improve streets, lighting and sewers on the site, with repayment coming through ticket sales and parking fees. It was included in a ballot measure that called for the city to raise a combined $500 million through the sale of general obligation bonds to funds street repairs and other enhancements throughout the city.

City Clerk Jodi Scrivens said the voting results were unofficial but appeared solid. Industry has 84 registered voters, mostly old-timers whose homes were grandfathered into the city when it was incorporated five decades ago. It is zoned primarily for business and industry.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is a town that has 84 registered voters going to raise 150M in revenue?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hope this happens...

So who would it be?? Saints? Jags?? Really can't imagine any other franchise making the jump... :shrug:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05