New member saying hi and a question

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi you all,
I'm a new member who has followed this board for awhile.
There is a lot of interesting conversations, and there is no better
way to keep up with the Suns than reading all the information
and knowledge ....
I was born in Tucson and have followed the Suns from the
beginning.. it was so cool to have a big-league team in Arizona at the time. I have many friends here in Tucson that are avid Suns
fans... Anyway ... enough about me...
I was wondering if anyone had thought of using the free agent
money on Carlos Boozer? He was a 2nd round pick and thus is
very difficult for the drafting team to resign him (as was the
case with Gilbert Arenas last year). It is easier for the non-
drafting team to sign 2nd rounders...
I know he is a PF, but he is 6-8, 260 and there are times,
against teams without monster centers, that we could have
him in with Amare. Boozer is an excellent rebounder and
low-post scorer... can't have too many low-post scorers,
opens everything else up... and due to the 2nd round
pick problem in the rules, this is a time when you can steal
a good big man, especially if you are a team with cap space
(as so few teams have) and an up and coming team...
What do you all think...

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone would unanimously support Boozer...except for the fact that he isn't a free agent (I think the team has the option).

Too bad we picked Casey over Boozer.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders

Too bad we picked Casey over Boozer.

ONLY an admin guy can spit out that little factoid and live to tell the tale.

BAD MEMORY...BAAAAAD

OP
OP
D

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
I thought he was... I looked at the salaries on Hoopshype and
it didn't show any salary past this year and no team option.
I was hopin!
Thanks for setting me straight...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dylan
I thought he was... I looked at the salaries on Hoopshype and
it didn't show any salary past this year and no team option.
I was hopin!
Thanks for setting me straight...

First of all, welcome to the message board. I know you said that you've been watching the board for awhile, but please jump into the conversation. :)

I didn't do any checking really, but I believe that HoopsHype assumes that there is a generic second-round draft pick contract. According to another site that tries to keep track of the current player contracts Carlos Boozer signed a 3-year contract with a team option in 2005 when he was drafted in the summer of 2002.

http://www.nationwide.net/~patricia/contracts

I'm assuming that the team option is actually this summer, or that the team can make a qualifying offer in 2005.

There is another problem with signing Carlos Boozer. I doubt he would want to sign here in Phoenix. I've seen him interviewed many times, and it sounds like he is intent on being a starting power forward. He wouldn't be the starting power forward here in Phoenix.

Joe Mama

scotsman13

Reaction score
the problem with picking boozer over casey or even picking him up as a FA is that he plays the same spot as amare. they are both power forwards and not centers or small forwards. so when you know you are going to be basing the future of your team on one player do you draft another player who plays the same position? or do you try to fill some other needs?

OP
OP
D

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
WOW!! Thanks for the info... that is a good website to know.
See, I can go to Hoophype and Sportsline, but they didn't
really do their research. But with you guys on this board,
you go out and find the right information. Very impressive.
I will remember that website. It's hard sifting thru all of the
data out there, and I assumed (wrongly)they knew what they were talking about... glad to be on board. And thanks again.

OP
OP
D

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about two straight posts... but regarding the 2 PF's at
the same time, I definitely see your point. But I was thinking Boozer played center at Duke so he could do a little of that in the NBA. I was thinking that Amare and Carlos would be a pretty
tough inside duo, unless facing large centers... but I agree
that having Amare here would not be as attractive to Boozer
than other teams will be.
Well, it sounded good at the time!!

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dylan
WOW!! Thanks for the info... that is a good website to know.
See, I can go to Hoophype and Sportsline, but they didn't
really do their research. But with you guys on this board,
you go out and find the right information. Very impressive.
I will remember that website. It's hard sifting thru all of the
data out there, and I assumed (wrongly)they knew what they were talking about... glad to be on board. And thanks again.

I use HoopsHype as a starting point because their layout is easier to work with, but they are very limited by the fact that only post "official" numbers rather than what the agents announce.

BTW, I was another one who had Boozer as my first choice for that draft slot. His problem in college was that they had him bulked up to play center and at 6'7" he was clearly never going to be center. He lost 25 pounds prior to the draft, but most teams hadn't noticed.

In any case, Boozer is somewhat limited on defense due to his heigth. He is better fit on the Cavs because they have a 7'3" center, but it will always be a concern.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I like Boozer alot. He would be a great fit here. I dont think he would "brake the bank". Sofar Amare has missed alot ot time in his short career. pluss he gets into foul trouble often.

Boozer wouldnt start over Amare but I bet he would get pleant of min's. not to mention I can see many nights they are both on the floor together.

I would love a shot at him.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
I use HoopsHype as a starting point because their layout is easier to work with, but they are very limited by the fact that only post "official" numbers rather than what the agents announce.

BTW, I was another one who had Boozer as my first choice for that draft slot. His problem in college was that they had him bulked up to play center and at 6'7" he was clearly never going to be center. He lost 25 pounds prior to the draft, but most teams hadn't noticed.

In any case, Boozer is somewhat limited on defense due to his heigth. He is better fit on the Cavs because they have a 7'3" center, but it will always be a concern.

There's no way Carlos Boozer is only 6'7". He's probably taller than that barefoot. Besides, the Suns sure could have used an adequate backup for Amare Stoudemire this season.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
There's no way Carlos Boozer is only 6'7". He's probably taller than that barefoot. Besides, the Suns sure could have used an adequate backup for Amare Stoudemire this season.

Joe Mama

He must have grown since he was drafted. :D

Boozer was downgraded a lot due to concerns about his heigth. I felt he would be an Elton Brand type player, but he slipped more than most draft boards had him anyway.

I guess it all depends on how much. He is ridiculously cheap right now, but Cleveland has enough cap space that they should be able to pay him over $4 million and still keep Eric Williams.

The Suns could go to $6 million, but that would be a lot for a guy who probably can't play center.