new orleans

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NO is the only team with enough cap space so it is not out of the question, but seems unlikely. They drafted Chris Paul, so they would not want JJ as their PG of the future, and picked shooter up Arvydas Macijauskas through free agency. JJ might be a replacement for JR Smith, but it is hard to see this as the save the franchise kind of deal it is to the Hawks.

Silverbullet

Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
Magloire+1st Rounder (top 5 protected next year, and unprotected the following).

I would do that deal we get a solid 5 and a good pick.

thegrahamcrackr said:
I want absolutely nothing to do with Magloire. Absolutely nothing to do with him.

Whats the deal with Mags why are you so down on him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think PG is the most primary area on the Suns team that needs to be addresssed if JJ does indeed leave.

IMO. Dickau or Claxton would definetly fill the need for a backup PG for Steve Nash and hopefully prolong his career and keep him healthy. The Suns were a losing team before the arrival of Nash and is probably not much more than a .500 team without him (even with Amare).

I think JJ could really help N.O. more than the Hawks as they could use him in his post natural position as a 2 or 3 and that team has more talent. N.O. may even want to send a SG back to Phoenix. Personally I would rather have the PG and the picks which could be turned into a big. I think P.J. Brown is too old unless he is a throw-in and I just don't know about Magliore.

If the Suns could get a PG plus 2 first round picks to sweeten the deal it would be awesome. I think N.O. has more in talent, especially at PG, which the Suns need.

If I were JJ and agent, I would be talking to N.O. about a sign and trade. Also couldn't Phoenix sign JJ to a larger contract in a sign and trade.... say 6 years at 80 million to give JJ some incentive to play ball with N.O.

I would not be excited to see Vroman coming back. Please no.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
There was no mention on the New Orleans talk radio today about this. However, on draft night when they selected Chris Paul, they had Smith on the radio show and he said, "Now we need to see about getting Joe Johnson." I kind of laughed at the time, but now it's not so funny....

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Silverbullet said:
Whats the deal with Mags why are you so down on him.

He is a slow center. He doesn't rebound well for his size (Amare has a better career average I think). He doesn't play good defense.

He is the most overrated center in the game right now. Not to mention he has a couple screws loose, and basically sat out all of last season over a damn finger (which Hunter had the same thing, and played all year).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
slinslin said:
PJ Brown and Jr Smith for JJ would be fine.

i'd do that in a heartbeat. stay young with jr and get a nice post defender in pj? i think we'd be a contender FOR SURE next year.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
you guys are CRAZY if you think the hornets are going to give up JR smith, thats like asking atlanta for marvin williams or josh smith......not gunna happen.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
joshstmarie said:
you guys are CRAZY if you think the hornets are going to give up JR smith, thats like asking atlanta for marvin williams or josh smith......not gunna happen.

Then there is no point in talking with NO as far as I can see

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Then there is no point in talking with NO as far as I can see

I say yes.

There is a definite need for the Suns to get a PG that can give Nash some rest. If N.O. can spare Dickau or Claxton this would be a huge acquisition, just by itself. I can't emphasize enough the importance of Nash to Phoenix. Just limiting his minutes with a backup PG that can push the ball and give him some rest is essential.

Then the Suns can hopefully obtain some first round draft picks to get adequate compensation.

If P.J. Brown could somehow be thrown in as filler it would really make this sign and trade attractive.

Yes I know he is getting old but he is definitely the type of role player Phoenix needs in a title run.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would think the Suns could do an off-line deal for Dickau using the Voskuhl trade exemption. I'm not sure how much he's worth, but he looked pretty good when he finally got a chance to play.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
N.O. seems to be home to all of the Suns rejects!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I would think the Suns could do an off-line deal for Dickau using the Voskuhl trade exemption. I'm not sure how much he's worth, but he looked pretty good when he finally got a chance to play.

I would take Dickau as a backup for Steve Nash, but I would also want a couple of draft picks. The big question is how much would it cost to re-sign him.

Dickau did not put up great numbers overall last season, but during January and February he was great. He averaged 15.5 ppg on 45.5% shooting, 43.5% three-point shooting, 3 rebounds, and 5 assists per game. He put up those numbers in about 32 minutes per game.

Here's the hangup with Dickau. I don't see him voluntarily coming here because he isn't going to get enough minutes. Unless Steve Nash is injured Dickau would only get 15-18 minutes per game I don't think they could play in the backcourt at the same time, and frankly there won't be enough minutes at shooting guard anyhow.

I also don't believe that New Orleans would even think about giving up JR Smith.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I would take Dickau as a backup for Steve Nash, but I would also want a couple of draft picks. The big question is how much would it cost to re-sign him.

Dickau did not put up great numbers overall last season, but during January and February he was great. He averaged 15.5 ppg on 45.5% shooting, 43.5% three-point shooting, 3 rebounds, and 5 assists per game. He put up those numbers in about 32 minutes per game.

Here's the hangup with Dickau. I don't see him voluntarily coming here because he isn't going to get enough minutes. Unless Steve Nash is injured Dickau would only get 15-18 minutes per game I don't think they could play in the backcourt at the same time, and frankly there won't be enough minutes at shooting guard anyhow.

I also don't believe that New Orleans would even think about giving up JR Smith.

Joe Mama

I would think Dickau would jump at a chance to come to the Suns. Chris Paul WILL start for the Hornets because starting Dickau over Paul would make their management look like even bigger idiots than they have already proven to be. Unless Claxton is traded, Speey is still likely to get their backup minutes.

On the Suns, Dickau MIGHT become a rotation player in a contract year for him.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I would think Dickau would jump at a chance to come to the Suns. Chris Paul WILL start for the Hornets because starting Dickau over Paul would make their management look like even bigger idiots than they have already proven to be. Unless Claxton is traded, Speey is still likely to get their backup minutes.

On the Suns, Dickau MIGHT become a rotation player in a contract year for him.

That might be true if Dickau wasn't a free agent. He should be restricted, but I didn't see that anywhere.

Joe Mama

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd take Claxton, Magliore, and a pick. Heck, worst case we just trade Mags later down the road. Speedy is the perfect bridge between Nash and Barbosa if the Suns really want to turn Barbose into a PG. Speedy could help Barbs since his skills match Barbosa's more than Nash's. If Mags even played back up center for us, so Amare could stay at PF all the time it would be a win for us. :thumbup:

sunsfn

Reaction score
If the suns do a sign and trade with New Orleans and do not get JR then forget it.

Magliore is not that great of a player, and would slow down the suns.
I think JR has a chance to be a very good player, but for some of you to say that JR is going to be better than JJ possibly next year and for sure in two years you have been smoking something illegal!

I am not that high on Dickau either. He is very small and does not look to me like he could stand the NBA rigors. As a backup I can understand that and that is what he would be here, but he would have to come cheap for me or I would not be interested.
None of this is probably going to happen, but what the Hey, we have nothing else to talk about, right? :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
hmm, in jr, mags, pj, and dickau they have some intriguing parts.

mags and an unprotected, or lightly protected 1st - regardless of what any of you say, mags is a legit nba center. if he doesn't work out for us then he is a tradable commodity.

jr and a heavily protected first - jr is a nice potential replacement for jj, and the pick could be valuable, but not immediately.

pj, dickau and a lightly protected first - maybe the best combo for the suns. both pj and dickau would be nice additions for an immediate championship run. a big rotation of amare, pj and kurt is pretty good, and the pj/kurt duo is a nice defensive rotation on let's say duncan for AN ENTIRE GAME! and dickau to give nash a breather would be terrific. the lightly protected first is to ensure that we get something for the future outta the deal. in fact, maybe i'm smoking, but i like this deal much better than the atlanta deal.

i like speedy as a stop gap also. but with speedy we'd need to get pj and a medium protected first, or two firsts.

i could live with any of these.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This Hornets rumor is total BS.

I watched the channel 3 news repeat and heard no mention of this. I searched the internet for news stories and found nothing. Even Hoopshype and RealGM haven't made anything up about this.

All I found was a reporter saying the Hornets should have tried to get JJ because New Orleans is obviously a better destination than Atlanta. The same reporter wrote a column this morning and said the Hornets are through making moves.

This "rumor" is the fantasy of 123456789.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think this NO rumor does not seem to be true.

But

If there was a way to consumate a deal with a sign and trade with the Hornets, I would not mind getting Kirk Snyder and Dan Dickau,this deal was messed up at the Aug 1 date maybe we could get an exception from the league to persue Snyder and include the Suns in that 5 team trade.

If the Hornets want JJ they may not want Snyder. I would rather have Snyder than Childress or Diaw.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
If the Altalanta deal falls through, and both JJ and New Orleans would want to do a deal, we could involve Toronto into the talks as well. Magloire wants out of NO, and Toronto was interested in him around draft time. NO was wanting quite a bit for him then so a deal never happened. Something to the effect of the following could transpire:

Suns Out:
JJ (S&T for 5/$70 mil)
Rights to Vujanic
Future 2nd rounder

Suns In:
David West
Matt Bonner
Rights to Brandon Bass
Rights to Roko Ukic

NO Out:
Magloire
West
Rights to Brandon Bass

NO In:
JJ (S&T for 5/$70 Mil)
Aaron Williams
Future 2nd rounder from Phx

Toronto Out:
Bonner
Williams
Rights to Ukic

Toronto In:
Magloire
Rights to Vujanic

That would give the Suns a Back-up point that they were looking at in the Draft with Ukic, 2 good young PF's to back up Amare and KT in West and Bass, a shooter in Bonner.

It would give NO a face for thier new image with JJ to go along the backcourt with Paul and Jr Smith, and a decent center in Williams, and a 2nd rounder to help next year, or in 2007 when the draft is deeper.

Toronto gets a lot of help in the frontcourt with Magloire next to Bosh, Villinueva and Graham. Plus they get a future stud at PG in Vujanic.

This trade would help all teams involved.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
jlove said:
If the Altalanta deal falls through, and both JJ and New Orleans would want to do a deal, we could involve Toronto into the talks as well. Magloire wants out of NO, and Toronto was interested in him around draft time. NO was wanting quite a bit for him then so a deal never happened. Something to the effect of the following could transpire:

Suns Out:
JJ (S&T for 5/$70 mil)
Rights to Vujanic
Future 2nd rounder

Suns In:
David West
Matt Bonner
Rights to Brandon Bass
Rights to Roko Ukic

NO Out:
Magloire
West
Rights to Brandon Bass

NO In:
JJ (S&T for 5/$70 Mil)
Aaron Williams
Future 2nd rounder from Phx

Toronto Out:
Bonner
Williams
Rights to Ukic

Toronto In:
Magloire
Rights to Vujanic

That would give the Suns a Back-up point that they were looking at in the Draft with Ukic, 2 good young PF's to back up Amare and KT in West and Bass, a shooter in Bonner.

It would give NO a face for thier new image with JJ to go along the backcourt with Paul and Jr Smith, and a decent center in Williams, and a 2nd rounder to help next year, or in 2007 when the draft is deeper.

Toronto gets a lot of help in the frontcourt with Magloire next to Bosh, Villinueva and Graham. Plus they get a future stud at PG in Vujanic.

This trade would help all teams involved.

didn't you just essentially trade jj, vujanic and a 2nd rounder for 4 2nd round picks? that's a terrible deal.