New technical policy

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
The new technical foul policy is a freakin joke. Amare just got T'd up and he didn't say a single word, not one. You can't show any emotion? Give me a break. It's like the NBA and the NFL are trying to find new rules to implement. It's a shame

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah this policy sucks. They wanted to improve the integrity of the game by trying to make the players complain less, but it just makes the game worse because every time a ref badly blows a call there ends up being a techincal foul. Maybe the league is just trying to make more money because they get $1000.00 for every tech.

Errntknght

Reaction score
What they need is a fourth referee who plays the role of Players advocate. If the ref blows the call then he gets sent to the penalty box for 10 minutes and gets his pay docked for 10/48 ths of his salary for the game.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
David Stern and his entourage of suits are trying their best to "sanitize" the NBA.

- New ball was all about the Benjamins.

- Zero-tolerance on technicals is a joke. How about just using common sense? It really makes the refs look like a bunch of robots.

- Next thing you know Stern is going to ban Afros.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Its apparent the past 2 season that David Stern is drunk with power. He is coming to unilateral decisions on many "issues" and when many of the figure heads in the league complain, he tightens up and goes on a rant about "thats the bottom line." I cant wait 'til this guy quits

mribnik

Reaction score
I really don't mind the new rule to tell you the truth. Everyone complains about it now, but if the result is that the players don't wave their arms around in disbelief after EVERY SINGLE CALL, then I'm happy. From what I've seen so far, the refs don't call a T every single time a player shows emotion, just the times it seems disrespectful.

I think the ball is stupid though. Change the pattern if you like, but I don't remember any of the players complaining about the old ball, so there was no reason to make a new ball. If they wanted to make extra money I'm sure they could've found other ways to do that. That being said, I'm sure the players will get used to the new ball. From what it seems to me, the ball lowers 3 point percentage but might raise 2 point percentage. It seems that the ball takes more favorable bounces the closer you shoot it.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really don't mind the new rule to tell you the truth. Everyone complains about it now, but if the result is that the players don't wave their arms around in disbelief after EVERY SINGLE CALL, then I'm happy. From what I've seen so far, the refs don't call a T every single time a player shows emotion, just the times it seems disrespectful.

I agree that excessive protest should be stopped, but right now they are calling technicals on players if they look at them wrong. Marion got called for a technical for waving his hand in the refs direction while looking the other way. The refs already had absolute power with how they choose to call the games and now they have extreme absolute power. They blow calls every game (most of the time very badly) and now they quickly call a tech if you disagree with the call and swing the game even more in favor of the other team (happened twice against the jazz and probably twice in every game so far this season).

What's next? Calling techs for celebrating after making a basket? Let's take all of the emotion out of the game and have robots out there playing.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Thanks Joey, For following the rules correctly:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
love the rule - absolutely positively love it

the league has been ridiculous recently with every play protesting every call and it then leads into the stands

the suns game I went to this year I just wanted to smack all the whiney people in there - yes, your team can commit a foul and they can miss a shot without a foul

officiating in the NBA is bad though - but they don't blow every single call - hopefully by cleaning up the cyring it will help clean up all the officiating

i also love the deliberate path foul now retaining possession - don't know why they had to change the ball though

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
love the rule - absolutely positively love it

the league has been ridiculous recently with every play protesting every call and it then leads into the stands

the suns game I went to this year I just wanted to smack all the whiney people in there - yes, your team can commit a foul and they can miss a shot without a foul

officiating in the NBA is bad though - but they don't blow every single call - hopefully by cleaning up the cyring it will help clean up all the officiating

i also love the deliberate path foul now retaining possession - don't know why they had to change the ball though

Agreed. :raccoon:

The whining on every play was irritating. It'd be nice to see the game without a ton of antics.

Especially when a lot of the complaining was done at the cost of the complainer's team because he was busying jawing with the ref and not getting back on defense.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
exactly - shut up and play - if something is really poor have it addressed by your team captain and coaches

now if I could only get them to turn down the music during games - it's not that I mind the indoor lacrosse vibe - i just prefer to hear the game as well

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
I think the refs are calling techs to the extreme right now just to make a point. Even these first few games into the season, it hasn't exactly been the threatened zero tolerance -- they could have called several that they let go. Makes you wonder, though, how it will go by the end of the year and into the playoffs when emotions are sky-high.

The one thing that's most annoying about them overdoing it with the new policy is that it stops the game. No matter which side gets the T, everything comes to a screeching halt for the FT. Screeching halts are not in The Plan.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a plan...

Since the NBA is going to call more arbitrarily call more technical fouls and those fouls cost $1000...

Why not have a random drawing for the fine of each technical at the end of the game.

Think of how well attended Pistons games would be!

nowagimp

Reaction score

I think the ball is stupid though. Change the pattern if you like, but I don't remember any of the players complaining about the old ball, so there was no reason to make a new ball. If they wanted to make extra money I'm sure they could've found other ways to do that. That being said, I'm sure the players will get used to the new ball. From what it seems to me, the ball lowers 3 point percentage but might raise 2 point percentage. It seems that the ball takes more favorable bounces the closer you shoot it.

Yeah didnt have to change the ball for 35 years, but there was money to be made this year(exclusivity of manufacture by Spaulding). Did you see Barbosas comment when asked how he missed the layup at the end of the game? Paraphrase: I must have spun the ball too much ..... Nobody likes the new ball. Yeah, you can bet a grippy ball might spin off the board differently. Ever try a new, tacky outdoor ball, spinning it off the glass. I think so far, the suns 3 pt shooting has been quite poor as well(25%?), for the best shooting team in the league, that might mean something.

Stern is the emperor of the NBA, every former player either shuts up or sucks up. Even Mark Cuban is sitting in a corner, bad boy!

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I have a plan...

Since the NBA is going to call more arbitrarily call more technical fouls and those fouls cost $1000...

Why not have a random drawing for the fine of each technical at the end of the game.

Think of how well attended Pistons games would be!

I didn't know the T's were $1,000 per! You're right, Rasheed could make some good cash for the pistons fans.

What do they do witht he money? It should go to some charity, then Rasheed will be the most generous player in all of sports.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone noticed but Rasheed got tossed out his first game 23 minutes into the season...

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
futher to this I was watching the blazers/wolves last nght with steve javey - he actually seemed more tolerant than normal - kind of thought it funny he wasn't hitting them with the T

also, never watch a blazers home telecast - it's like a HS production

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
"Until we see any signs of an attempt by your team to play DEFENSE, you will be referred to as Antoni."

LOL, nice line Nash.

Ryan313

Reaction score
During the spurs and suns the announcer must have said "he better watch out he might pick up a technical right here" about 15 times. I don't belive one was ever called. This new rule seems even more inconsistant than the old way.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest joke in this is bouncing the ball off the backstop. I have seen three games now when guys bounced it off the backstop area and 3 times it has been called and two times when it has not. What is the rule? Seriously NBA...be consistent...that is all I ask for God's sake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05