NFL commissioner Tagliabue to retire in July

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...YF?slug=ap-tagliabueretires&prov=ap&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP) -- Paul Tagliabue is retiring as NFL commissioner in July after more than 16 years on the job.

The 65-year-old league leader has been in charge since 1989, when he succeeded Pete Rozelle, and agreed last March to stay to complete the television and labor deals.

He finally got that done 12 days ago, finishing the most arduous labor negotiations since the league and union agreed on a free agency-salary cap deal in 1992.

"I believe that now is a positive time to make the transition to a new commissioner," Tagliabue said in a statement.

"We have a collective bargaining extension in place, long-term television contracts, and have undertaken many other strong elements in league and club operations," he said. "I am honored to have been commissioner since late 1989 and to have been heavily involved with the league, its owners, clubs, coaches, players, fans and media since 1969."

Roger Goodell, the NFL's chief operating officer, and Atlanta general manager Rich McKay are the two leading candidates to succeed Tagliabue. Baltimore Ravens president Dick Cass is considered to have an outside chance.

Tagliabue has said he wants to avoid the kind of seven-month deadlock that occurred between him and the late Jim Finks after Rozelle stepped down in March 1989. Owners will begin the search for a new commissioner at their meetings next week in Orlando, Fla.

Tagliabue first phone call with the news went to Pittsburgh's Dan Rooney, the NFL's senior owner. The other owners learned of his retirement by email.

"We've got the best labor deal in sports. We've got the best league. He's been our leader. The whole way he's done this has been wonderful," Rooney told The Associated Press.

Tagliabue will stay on with the NFL as a senior executive and a consultant through 2008, part of the contract extension he signed last July.

His term will be remembered most for labor peace following strikes in 1982 and 1987. His close relationship with Gene Upshaw, the union's executive director, finally led to a long-term agreement after five years without a contract.

But the bargaining was hard this time, with three straight deadline extensions needed. The agreement avoided the prospect of entering free agency this year with the possibility of an uncapped year in 2007.

It came at the expense of revenue sharing among the owners, an issue that had divided high-revenue and small-revenue teams and contributed to the deadlock. He did it with what has been considered his greatest skill as commissioner, patching together a coalition of nine teams with differing viewpoints to reach a compromise considered satisfactory by all but two teams.

He also oversaw a massive stadium building program. More than two-thirds of the NFL's 32 teams are either playing in or building stadiums that didn't exist when he took over as commissioner in 1989.

Before taking on this job, Tagliabue was a league lawyer who spent much of that time as the NFL's representative and unofficial lobbyist in Washington.

"He has been a tremendous asset to our league and the direction we have taken," New Orleans owner Tom Benson said.

"We have experienced very positive growth in the area of revenue sharing and broadcast contracts, we have secured long-term labor peace and have also even encountered some of the worst of times following 9/11, but through it all Paul has been a leader, a friend and a voice that many others within our league and other leagues have followed."

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Riddance, Mr. Tagilaboo-boo.

Never forgiven for striping the Super Bowl from Phoenix for a holiday that your own Damn office doesn't even celebrate. Your sticking your nose in AZ Politics is one reason the proposition lost the first time around.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Tags did a great job while he was around. I think he left the game in better shape than when he got it. And that's saying something.

Reaction score
It has got to be tough to walk away from that job!

I know that it was said when Rozelle retired that he would be hard to follow, but Tagliabue did a great job also. Rozelle and "Tags" will be a hard act to follow.

I think the next guy in the chair will be hard pressed to follow in their footsteps; especially considering the "new breed" of owners coming into the league.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Please. The game was still about football when he came in. On his way out its about milking as much marketing and tv dollars out of the product as possible.

okcardzona

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
WASHINGTON (March 20) - Condoleezza Rice, a bona fide football fan, is not applying for the newly opened post of NFL commissioner - not now, anyhow, her spokesman said carefully on Monday.

"She thinks football is the greatest sport on earth, but even if she were approached for the job - which she has not been - she would have to decline," Sean McCormack said.

"She still has many things she wants to accomplish as secretary of state," he said.

Rice, who is avid particularly in support of the Cleveland Browns, is enjoying being secretary of state "at the moment," McCormack said.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yesterday, I received a phone call from my banker. (I don't normally get phone calls from my local NJ bank. Was I overdrawn? Did someone steal my identity?) "Whazzup?", I asked.

"Just wanted to know your thoughts on the Edgerrin James deal."

I swear this is true. And it speaks volumes about the impact Paul Tagliabue has had on the acceptance of the game. (Who'd of thunk your banker would call you out of the clear blue to talk Cardinal football).

One way to gauge the impact of an individual is to compare the way things were with the way they are now.

During the end of the Rozelle regime (in many ways as significant as the Tagliabue era), the League Office still had the mind-set of an armed camp.

- You had to sneak into the draft (which was held during a couple of business days at a midtown NYC hotel).

- In NYC you got to see the Giants, the Jets and MNF - that was it. (Sunday afternoons and Monday nights. Period). If you wanted to follow the Cardinals, you watched the scoreboard or the crawl at the bottom of of the TV screen.

- If you lived south of Exit 8A on the Turnpike, you could rotate your antenna or rabbit ears toward Philly when the Eagles played the Cards. (Or drive to the highest point possible to pick up distant radio signals from eastern NFL cities or, under ideal conditions, KMOX out of StL).

- You hoped to catch a 10-second glimpse of Cardinal highlights on Chris Berman.

- In other words, if you were an out-of-town hard core Cardinal fan, your access to and intimacy with the Cardinal family was via sporadic TV and radio coverage, snippets from the local newspaper, your weekly fix from Pro Football Weekly and the Sporting News and the annual Street & Smith type NFL Guides.

Contrast that with today -

- Every Cardinal game on Sunday Ticket

- Fans can receive daily AZ sports news from FoxSportsNet's "Arizona Sports Report."

- We have 24/7 access to NFL news via All Sports Radio stations and cable programming like ESPNews.

- The Draft is now held in large indoor arena like Madison Square Garden. Televised on ESPN. Covered extensively by the media for several weeks before and after.

- NFL Network - They even cover Senior Bowl practices and the Combine in depth now. (What's next? Complete coverage of every Pro Day?)

- The Internet and with it (a) the Cardinal website, (b) forums like ASFN, (c) fan websites like BRS, (d) official "resource" websites like nfl.com, espn.com and cbs.com plus (e) unofficial resource blogs like KFFL and Great Blue North.

What's happening is that the fan is being given more and more access to the inner workings of the league and, as a result, is becoming more and more part of a giant "NFL Family."

Soon the only thing left will be "real time" fan presence (like a fly on the wall) inside team Draft War Rooms, film sessions, weight training and salary negotiations.

There were plenty of other Tagliabue accomplishments (including labor peace, globalization etc.) But from the standpoint of this out of town Cardinal fan - when you compare our current Brave New NFL World with the tightly-guarded attitude that existed in the NFL before, this is Paul Tagiabue's most important achievement.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser