NFL Draft show on ESPN

Lomax15

Reaction score
Did anyone watch the NFL Draft show on ESPN today at noon? If so what did they cover? Was it worthwhile? I forgot to Tivo it this morning. :rolleyes:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lomax15 said:
Did anyone watch the NFL Draft show on ESPN today at noon? If so what did they cover? Was it worthwhile? I forgot to Tivo it this morning. :rolleyes:

Sorry. Apparently, nobody did.

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, Lomax, I saw it...Mel Kiper was expounding on the recent speculation that SF is going to sign QB Aaron Rodgers at #1 (because he's offering the best signability)...and that Tampa Bay is going to trade up into the #2 spot with Miami to draft QB Alex Smith...and that Tampa Bay will offer Buffalo a good player for Travis Henry...so that Tampa doesn't lose much for not drafting one of the top three RBs.

Here's what Mel thinks is going to happen:

1. SF: QB Rodgers

2. TB (from MIA): QB Smith

3. CLE: WR Edwards

4. CHI: RB Williams

5. MIA: RB Brown

6. TEN: CB Jones

7. MIN: WR Williams

8. ARZ: either RB Benson or CB Rolle

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Walter Mitchell said:
Yes, Lomax, I saw it...Mel Kiper was expounding on the recent speculation that SF is going to sign QB Aaron Rodgers at #1 (because he's offering the best signability)...and that Tampa Bay is going to trade up into the #2 spot with Miami to draft QB Alex Smith...and that Tampa Bay will offer Buffalo a good player for Travis Henry...so that Tampa doesn't lose much for not drafting one of the top three RBs.

Here's what Mel thinks is going to happen:

1. SF: QB Rodgers

2. TB (from MIA): QB Smith

3. CLE: WR Edwards

4. CHI: RB Williams

5. MIA: RB Brown

6. TEN: CB Jones

7. MIN: WR Williams

8. ARZ: either RB Benson or CB Rolle

Why would TB trade to #2 to get smith when he would probably still be there at #5, Cleveland may decide to grab a QB, but I think they have other needs and if you draft BPA then Smith is not #3.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would TB trade to #2 to get smith when he would probably still be there at #5,
Good point. If Miami needed a QB, they'd keep the pick and draft one. Latest buzz out of Cleveland is that they like Campbell enough to wait til the next round to get him. If Smith dropped to them, they very well could trade down. Chicago isn't thought to be interested in a QB.

But here's the rub: Even if Cleveland and Chicago aren't interested in drafting a QB at #3 and #4, they could very well trade the pick to another team that does, thereby pre-empting Tama Bay. Gruden's best shot at getting one of the two QB's is to trade up.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Most mocks Ive seen have Cleveland taking QB at 3. Now the Bucs trading up to draft Ronnie Brown doesnt make sense, which Ive also seen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
today's show basically said that the buc are hot and heavy to get henry AND trade up to get the #2 pick to get smith. said that miami is gonna try to go w/ feeley for one more year considering they gave up a 2nd for him. figure that miami may still land ronnie brown at the bucs' slot.

doctor

Registered
Reaction score
did anyone hear what player tampa is dangling for henry! if this happens do we keep shelton?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doctor said:
did anyone hear what player tampa is dangling for henry! if this happens do we keep shelton?

Maybe they want Henry so they can trade him to us for Shelton. :D

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
doctor said:

they never mentioned a specific player, but rather said that they had a number of attractive players they could dangle.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Maybe they want Henry so they can trade him to us for Shelton. :D

Now that is some good thinnking...TB gives up 3rd. rounder and switches with Buffalo in 2nd rd.

TB trades us Shelton straight up for Henry, everyone gets what they want and Donohoe can go--You know what...

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
I was just watching ESPN and Kiper/Clayton said they had Az taking Cadillac Williams at #8.... Benson went to #7 Minn, and Brown earilier in the draft.. Pac Jones went futher down in the draft.....

I personaly would take a top CB no doubt.. that is our biggest need ....., the go after the best RB at 2nd rounder... shipp/hambrick /scobey with do above average.. and I could even see Scobey getting the starter slot after training camp...
go cards...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ah, the continued love for Scobee, the RB who does nothing when given a chance. He's lucky to be on the roster, thank you very much, and may not be for much longer.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the great thing about the cardinals situation is that the best player avaible and team needs are going hand in hand. whether they pick rb or cb it is all good.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
jrjbritt said:
I personaly would take a top CB no doubt.. that is our biggest need ....., the go after the best RB at 2nd rounder... shipp/hambrick /scobey with do above average.. and I could even see Scobey getting the starter slot after training camp...
You must be registered for see images attach

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
TB trading up to get a QB? What am I missing here. They signed Greise to a fat renewal, they love Simms, and they need another wideout and/or a RB at this point. If Smith was truly a can't miss prospect, I'd get it but - I don't see where this happens. Besides, he'll be there at #5.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TB trading up to get a QB? What am I missing here.
Check out this angle - TB may have a trade or trades lined up where they part with one or more of their surplus QB's.

If so, they could (a) swap their #5 to move up to #2 for Smith, (b) include Griese or Simms in the deal with Miami instead of more picks or (c) give up the picks and trade Simms and/or Griese to some other teams in order to (c) recoup some of the picks they gave up to Miami.

If a QB was included in the Miami deal, the Dolphs would wind up with a more experienced young QB in Simms or Griese to push Feeley and still have the #5 where they could draft a RB.

And TB would have their QBOF and eased their log jam of experienced young QB's.

Sweet.

Final note - If the deal gets done this way, TB could get their QB without sacrificing any draft picks. They could then include their #36 or #71 in a trade for Henry.

Of course, they also could send Griese or Simms to Buffalo for Henry - either with or without any swaps of picks. Either of these 2 QB's could take the heat off Losman.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
Now that is some good thinnking...TB gives up 3rd. rounder and switches with Buffalo in 2nd rd.

TB trades us Shelton straight up for Henry, everyone gets what they want and Donohoe can go--You know what...

I say if TB was willing to do the above screw Buffalo and just trade LJ and our #44 for TB's #36 and thier 3rd round pick.

Sorry but if we aint willing to swap our second pick at #44 for Buffalos at #55 I dont see any way that TB would swap thier #36 for #55 and still give up a 3rd rounder.

Now maybe have TB swap picks with Buffalo for Travis Henry and then do a straight up trade with his for Shelton, but they aint giving up a 3rd rounder on top of that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
TB trading up to get a QB? What am I missing here.
Check out this angle - TB may have a trade or trades lined up where they part with one or more of their surplus QB's.

If so, they could (a) swap their #5 to move up to #2 for Smith, (b) include Griese or Simms in the deal with Miami instead of more picks or (c) give up the picks and trade Simms and/or Griese to some other teams in order to (c) recoup some of the picks they gave up to Miami.

If a QB was included in the Miami deal, the Dolphs would wind up with a more experienced young QB in Simms or Griese to push Feeley and still have the #5 where they could draft a RB.

And TB would have their QBOF and eased their log jam of experienced young QB's.

Sweet.

Final note - If the deal gets done this way, TB could get their QB without sacrificing any draft picks. They could then include their #36 or #71 in a trade for Henry.

Of course, they also could send Griese or Simms to Buffalo for Henry - either with or without any swaps of picks. Either of these 2 QB's could take the heat off Losman.

I can say with relative certainty the 'Fins aren't trading for Griese...they've tried him once already.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:

and Donohoe can go--You know what...

:lol: Don't get all bitter just because he's a great GM who doesn't trade players just to trade them. Shelton is not as good as Henry at his job, period.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan