NFL Team Nicknames

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
Wow well it's a good thing Houston didn't choose the "Wildcatters." Interesting read, I never bothered to find out the origins of the "Browns" nickname before this. Good stuff! :thumbup:

Btw, on the side link in the Cardinals merchandise store, I saw a book for sale labeled "When Football was Football: The Chicago Cardinals and the Birth of the NFL"- interesting how I never heard of that?

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
The Lions history mentioned that in 1934 a Detroit radio station owner purchased the Portsmouth, Ohio Spartans. My hometown Spartans were the first to play an NFL night game and the first to lay inside as a game withe Bears had to be moved inside because of the weather. The Spartans were also probably the NFL team in the smallest city as Portsmouth never has had above 50,000 people in population.

Here's an article about them playing the Cardinals:

http://www.portsmouthspartans.org/11-23-31-2.html

Last edited:

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
brandon said:
Btw, on the side link in the Cardinals merchandise store, I saw a book for sale labeled "When Football was Football: The Chicago Cardinals and the Birth of the NFL"- interesting how I never heard of that?

I've had it for a few years and I still pick it up every now and again. I remember reading a positive online review posted by someone using the name Bidwill. Pretty Cool stuff. It was either on amazon or B&N.

Go Cards!!!

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I have the book and I read it. It's a great book on Cardinals history through the 1947 Chicago Cardinals Championship team. It really only covers the St. Louis and Arizona years in the appendix.

It's 300 pages long and at times I felt it was way too detailed, but you get an idea what professional football was like back in the early 1900s and how unstructured the league used to be as they scheduled their own opponents, etc. You also get a good idea how Bidwill got involved in the Cards and you realize that it's their family business.

I also thought the Bears origin was interesting when I read it in the book. Didn't make the Cubs-Bears connection until then.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how every team had a different story and then you get to Tampa and it says TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - A team advisory board reviewed 400 name possibilities and selected Buccaneers.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
bankybruce said:
I like how every team had a different story and then you get to Tampa and it says TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - A team advisory board reviewed 400 name possibilities and selected Buccaneers.

Well at least a board selected the name, involving multiple people. I thought this one was suspect. Let your kid pick it!!

CAROLINA PANTHERS - Team owner Jerry Richardson’s son Mark is responsible for the selection of Panthers as the team name. Mark, who felt that there should be some “synergy” between the name and the team colors also suggested the team colors of black, blue and silver.

The only thing I find strange in uniforms is if the team has an animal mascot and they don't use the animal's colors. Cardinals are Red, Bears are Black, Bengals are Orange/Black, Lions are Blue??

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Well at least a board selected the name, involving multiple people. I thought this one was suspect. Let your kid pick it!!

CAROLINA PANTHERS - Team owner Jerry Richardson’s son Mark is responsible for the selection of Panthers as the team name. Mark, who felt that there should be some “synergy” between the name and the team colors also suggested the team colors of black, blue and silver.

The only thing I find strange in uniforms is if the team has an animal mascot and they don't use the animal's colors. Cardinals are Red, Bears are Black, Bengals are Orange/Black, Lions are Blue??[/QUOTE]

So, you aren't familiar with the "Blue Lions" found in rolling hills of the Sarengati... :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05