No backing down from NFC West pick (FOX sports)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. For what it's worth, I think that the Browns do have a chance of winning 8 games next season, and that makes the AFC North, for me, the best Division in the NFL. I also think that he dismisses the AFC South and AFC East too easily.

The NFC West might be the most competitive division in the NFL next season, but I don't think it would surprise many if 9-7 was enough to win the division and no other team finished 7-9 or above.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
This is a little OT, but I think Lienart has more talent than bulger or hassleback.

If we get consistent line play, hollywood could very easily put up better numbers than either of those two.

And with our wr corp, he might even play in the next game in honolulu.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would take him over any other qb in the division and I would be shocked surprised if most everyone didn't agree.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is a little OT, but I think Lienart has more talent than bulger or hassleback.

If we get consistent line play, hollywood could very easily put up better numbers than either of those two.

And with our wr corp, he might even play in the next game in honolulu.

:shrug: Mike Vick and Daunte Culpepper have/had more "talent" than all three of them put together. But it takes more than "talent", and it's going to take a while before anyone can really mention Leinart's name in the same sentence as two of the Top 5 QBs in the NFC and the top 15 QBs in the NFL.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
:shrug: Mike Vick and Daunte Culpepper have/had more "talent" than all three of them put together. But it takes more than "talent", and it's going to take a while before anyone can really mention Leinart's name in the same sentence as two of the Top 5 QBs in the NFC and the top 15 QBs in the NFL.

Correct yourself...Mike Vick has more rushing ability and raw, untrained arm strength. Sooooo different from talent.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess "potential" is the word we are talking about.

Where I come from "potential" is just a french word that means not very good.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leinart is a top 15 QB in the NFL right now and will be in the top 10 in the NFL before the 2008 season. QB's who Leinart will be better than this year:

Vick
J.P. Losman
Brady Quinn/Charlie Frye
Big Ben
Byron Leftwich
Jake Delhome
Matt Schaub
Alex Smith
Jon Kitna
Chad Pennington
JaMarcus Russell
Damon Huard
Brett Favre
Rex Grossman
Jason Campbell
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Vince Young

There is 16 QB's off of the top of my head that I think Matt Leinart is better than right now. Leinart is a very solid QB right now and is only going to get better. He is certainly a top 15 QB in the NFL right now. Culpepper is a back-up at best anymore. If he goes to JAX Leftwich will still be the starter. There is no way you can say he is not a top 15 QB right now. He showed some growing pains last year but still had one of the better rookie seasons for a QB in a long time.

I believe he did better than VY last year and the only reason he won ROY was because of the hype-machine plus he took a non contender and almost took them to the playoffs. But when it's all said and done he will still be better than VY.

If you go by statistics sure he's probably in the bottom 15 of NFL QB's but take that out of the equation and he is better than any of those QB's mentioned above. I would take Leinart today over any of those guys mentioned up top.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Leinart is a top 15 QB in the NFL right now and will be in the top 10 in the NFL before the 2008 season. QB's who Leinart will be better than this year:

Vick
J.P. Losman
Brady Quinn/Charlie Frye
Big Ben
Byron Leftwich
Jake Delhome
Matt Schaub
Alex Smith
Jon Kitna
Chad Pennington
JaMarcus Russell
Damon Huard
Brett Favre
Rex Grossman
Jason Campbell
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Vince Young

There is 16 QB's off of the top of my head that I think Matt Leinart is better than right now. Leinart is a very solid QB right now and is only going to get better. He is certainly a top 15 QB in the NFL right now. Culpepper is a back-up at best anymore. If he goes to JAX Leftwich will still be the starter. There is no way you can say he is not a top 15 QB right now. He showed some growing pains last year but still had one of the better rookie seasons for a QB in a long time.

I believe he did better than VY last year and the only reason he won ROY was because of the hype-machine plus he took a non contender and almost took them to the playoffs. But when it's all said and done he will still be better than VY.

If you go by statistics sure he's probably in the bottom 15 of NFL QB's but take that out of the equation and he is better than any of those QB's mentioned above. I would take Leinart today over any of those guys mentioned up top.

:rolleyes:

Vick, Roethlisberger, Leftwich, Grossman, Favre, Pennington, Manning, and Romo led their teams to the playoffs. Good to see that the overestimation machine is in full swing already. Maybe you should wait until Leinart's passer rating is better than Michael Vick's before you start saying that he's better than him.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Vick, Roethlisberger, Leftwich, Grossman, Favre, Pennington, Manning, and Romo led their teams to the playoffs. Good to see that the overestimation machine is in full swing already. Maybe you should wait until Leinart's passer rating is better than Michael Vick's before you start saying that he's better than him.

Vick, Roethlisberger, Leftwich and Favre didn't make the playoffs last year. If you want to use past success as an indicator of who's better keep in mind that our backup QB has more post season success than all but Favre on this list. Same for Dilfer, Alex Smith's backup in SF.

Of Eli Manning, Grossman, Pennington and Romo, how many of those QBs would you really say led their team to the playoffs? All of those were teams that relied on defense and with the exception of Pennington's Jets had a very good running attack. How can you use Pennington as an example of a QB that led his team to the playoffs when you've said time and time again that they won 10 games because they had the easiest schedule instead of by being that good?

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
Vick, Roethlisberger, Leftwich and Favre didn't make the playoffs last year. If you want to use past success as an indicator of who's better keep in mind that our backup QB has more post season success than all but Favre on this list. Same for Dilfer, Alex Smith's backup in SF.

Of Eli Manning, Grossman, Pennington and Romo, how many of those QBs would you really say led their team to the playoffs?

Romo is going to be a bust. He'll stay in the NFL, but I don't see him starting in Dallas a year from now. Almost anyone (except Beldsoe) could have QB'd Dallas last year and been successful. Great D and great running game. Also had TO and one of the top NFL coaches.

Our division will be tough, although I'm not sold San Fran is for real yet, and the same can be said for the Cardinals. The Cards, on paper, look good. The Niners showed glimmers of success, and the Rams and Seahawks didn't do much to improve, but this year all four teams could be dangerous.

Special teams should be fun to watch this year in the division. Pretty much every team has a potential returner.

Last edited:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NFC really sucks for QBs right now. I'm going to go on record right now and predict that next Probowl will be Drew Brees and 2 QBs from the NFCW.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Of Eli Manning, Grossman, Pennington and Romo, how many of those QBs would you really say led their team to the playoffs? All of those were teams that relied on defense and with the exception of Pennington's Jets had a very good running attack. How can you use Pennington as an example of a QB that led his team to the playoffs when you've said time and time again that they won 10 games because they had the easiest schedule instead of by being that good?

Pennington absolutely did--Leon Washington was the Jets' leading rusher, and they had two average (at best) talents at WR.

Look, I love Matt Leinart. I think he's great for the franchise and great for the city. I think that he'll lead this team to a championship someday soon. But he was also the 23rd rated passer in the NFL last season, behind Michael Vick, Jon Kitna and Alex Smith. On the FootballOutsiders.com's value rankings, he was 16/19/17 rated. He's going to be a good player, but I think it's a little early to say that he's one of the Top 15 QBs in the game.

Let him win some games, and get his passer rating into the 80s before we hold the coronation.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The NFC really sucks for QBs right now. I'm going to go on record right now and predict that next Probowl will be Drew Brees and 2 QBs from the NFCW.

I agree, but it usually depends on McNabb's health. I think that the Pro Bowl will be Brees, McNabb, and probably Bulger. Alex Smith is still a year away.