NO/Oklahoma City @ Phoenix - Game Thread -Mar 9, 2007 - 7:00 pm

sunsfn

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

620/92.3
My45

The Phoenix Suns have won eight of their last nine games, but their normally efficient offense has struggled lately.

The Suns look to return to form as they go for their fifth straight home win Friday when they meet the New Orleans Hornets.

Phoenix (47-14) is leading the league in scoring at 110.6 points per game and field-goal shooting at 49.4 percent. The Suns, though, have averaged only 101.8 points in regulation over their last five games, getting held below 48 percent shooting in four of them.

They were coming off a lackluster 99-94 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday before needing overtime to beat a slumping Charlotte team on Wednesday, 115-106.

"I'm getting kind of tired of coming up here and making excuses," coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We're not focused. We're not playing hard enough."

The Suns look to boost their intensity Friday against a New Orleans team they have beaten in nine of the teams' last 10 meetings.

Recapturing that trademark Phoenix offense, though, might not be so easy against the Hornets (28-33), who hold opponents to 95.5 points per game and 44.7 percent shooting to rank among the Western Conference leaders in both categories. It was a low-scoring affair in the only meeting this season, with the Suns winning 92-83 on Nov. 22 behind Steve Nash's 24 points.

The Suns hope to build on their impressive overtime performance in Wednesday's win. After being limited to 98 points in regulation, Phoenix went 6-for-8 from the field, including 3-for-4 from 3-point range, to pull away in the extra period.

Overtime wouldn't have been necessary, however, if the Suns could have protected their 16-point first-half lead. Phoenix's eight-minute field-goal drought in the fourth quarter allowed Charlotte back into the game.

"How long does it take to learn a lesson? We've got to learn a lesson and be more committed to our goals, and take more pride in that," said Nash, who had 24 points and 11 assists.

Phoenix went 1-3 with Nash sidelined by a shoulder injury leading into All-Star weekend, but his return sparked the team's 8-1 run since the break. He is averaging 23.6 points and 9.6 assists while shooting 58.4 percent from the field in his last five games.

The Hornets, meanwhile, have had some struggles of their own. After going 9-4 in February, the Hornets are 0-3 in March.

New Orleans trailed by as many as 23 points in its 106-91 loss to Denver on Tuesday. The Hornets shot just 39.1 percent from the field while their normally stingy defense gave up at least 100 points for the fourth straight game.

Tyson Chandler had 15 points and 18 rebounds, his 13th straight double-double and 20th in a row with double-digit rebounds.

The Hornets, the league's top rebounding team, had outrebounded opponents in 13 straight games before their current three-game skid. During the losing streak, they have been outrebounded twice and matched on the boards once.

"We aren't competing for 48 minutes," coach Byron Scott said.

New Orleans is one of six teams within three games of each other for the final two playoff spots in the West, and should have its hands full with a Phoenix squad which is second-best in the conference.

While the Hornets have dropped three in a row on the road, the Suns have won four straight at home and are 24-6 there this season.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I expect Amare and Chandler to mix it up some in tonights game. They have always had a competition going on between them, that makes them play hard against each other.

Diaw will look better tonight, I promise! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does any other other multiple time all-star PF/C get less respect from the refs than Amare does? He's been hacked horribly at least 3 times with no calls and he can't say a word about it because they'll instantly give him a 'T'. D'Antoni needs to get on the refs because he knows Amare can't.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
we gave up 29 first-quarter points to the second worst offense in the leauge

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They're also the best rebounding team in the league and 2nd best offensive rebounding team, which is how they got most of their points.

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As usual, we get ticky-tack touch fouls on us and can't get a call on the other end. Tyson Chandler should have about 5 fouls by now and hasn't been called for one yet.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
David West just bulldozes his way to the basket. At least 3 times he's lowered his shoulder and just slammed the defender in the chest.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG. Glad to see Boris being aggresive but he is throwing the teams timing off. They have no rythem right now. Also, what's up with our perimeter defense the last 2 games? Usually we guard the 3 pretty well. We are letting teams throw up 3's like there is no tomorrow.

mribnik

Reaction score
Up by 1 with 3 seconds to go. Weren't they up by 10 a few minutes ago?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow, could the refs have helped the Hornets any more? The BS charge on Amare. Raja gets a rebound and gets slammed by 3 Hornets with no call. The ball is still being fumbled around with no one having possession and somehow the Hornets get a timeout called. Then the refs let them advance the ball to halfcourt to get a last second shot attempt.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Why was Marion on the bench to end the game?

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I think the refs realized they made a mistake. Otherwise, I'm sure they would have called a foul against the Suns during that last 3.5 second scramble...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is seriously struggling right now. I know a win is a win. I also know that good teams find a way to win close games. I just don't think most of these games should be that close.

Either this team is seriously coasting right now or we truley are having some issues getting used to everybody coming back healthy from a chemistry perspective. I don't know which.

mribnik

Reaction score
Well, it looks like Diaw had a pretty good game. That's one positive at least.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Wow, could the refs have helped the Hornets any more? The BS charge on Amare. Raja gets a rebound and gets slammed by 3 Hornets with no call. The ball is still being fumbled around with no one having possession and somehow the Hornets get a timeout called. Then the refs let them advance the ball to halfcourt to get a last second shot attempt.
actually the coach called a T.O. while the hornets player was on the ground with possession. if it is legal for the coach to call a t.o. then it was legit. if not......then bad call. that call amare took there gets called a lot in today's game......no surprise there.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This team is seriously struggling right now. I know a win is a win. I also know that good teams find a way to win close games. I just don't think most of these games should be that close.

Either this team is seriously coasting right now or we truley are having some issues getting used to everybody coming back healthy from a chemistry perspective. I don't know which.
it's probably the latter. getting guys back from injury can take time....but nevertheless the suns gave up way too many points to a team that isn't a high scoring one.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's probably the latter. getting guys back from injury can take time....but nevertheless the suns gave up way too many points to a team that isn't a high scoring one.

One plus is that Boris Diaw looks like his old self tonight. That is going to be huge down the stretch. I think this team needs some extra practice to get used to having all the guys back.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
We'll certainly see where we stand this week with Houston and Dallas on the schedule. Now if we struggle to win those games in the last minute, I won't be so worried...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll certainly see where we stand this week with Houston and Dallas on the schedule. Now if we struggle to win those games in the last minute, I won't be so worried...

That's so true. If we won those 2 games in the last minute people would be jumping for joy and not worried at all. It's all about perspective.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
actually the coach called a T.O. while the hornets player was on the ground with possession. if it is legal for the coach to call a t.o. then it was legit. if not......then bad call. that call amare took there gets called a lot in today's game......no surprise there.
They didn't actually give the timeout until the ball was bouncing around through 2-3 guys hands. Either way they shouldn't have had a chance to get the ball back because the foul should have been called when Raja got mugged by 3 guys.

On the Amare play, that charge does get called a lot, but it wasn't being called at all in this game. The refs were immune to calling offensive fouls all night long and allowed David West to bulldoze his way to the basket repeatedly. Then with the game on the line, the refs call a charge on an obvious flop.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just really happy to see the old Diaw back tonight. If he can keep playing like this it's going to be huge for us.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
They didn't actually give the timeout until the ball was bouncing around through 2-3 guys hands. Either way they shouldn't have had a chance to get the ball back because the foul should have been called when Raja got mugged by 3 guys.

On the Amare play, that charge does get called a lot, but it wasn't being called at all in this game. The refs were immune to calling offensive fouls all night long and allowed David West to bulldoze his way to the basket repeatedly. Then with the game on the line, the refs call a charge on an obvious flop.
well i didn't see the whole game.....i just saw the score flash that it was close. I tuned in right when they made the call. I agree that if they wern't calling it the whole game they shouldn't call it in that critical situation! I hate when that happens. anyway that's just the way the game is right now i guess. raja did take some contact....but you see that go uncalled often as well when guys are scrambling. Oh well....phoenix won either way and in a close game the officiating is always blown out of proportion. just look at mark cuban.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake