No Real Offer from San Francisco for Warner

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“NO REAL OFFER” FROM SAN FRAN FOR WARNER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 4:13 p.m.
Though the Kurt Warner camp apparently is trying to get the Arizona Cardinals to think that the 49ers offered the free-agent quarterback considerably more than the amount the Cards have put on the table (aided by John Clayton of ESPN, who seems to be pushing whatever Mark Bartelstein is feeding him, and Mark Schlereth and Marcellus Wiley of ESPN’s NFL Live, whose pro-Warner monologues merit them a piece of Bartelstein’s fee), a league source tells us that the 49ers ultimately made “no real offer” to Warner.

We’re not sure what that means, but we’ll infer that it means the 49ers didn’t offer anything significantly more than what the Cardinals already have on the table, since it’s clear that if all things are equal Warner will stay in Arizona.

Meanwhile, for a guy who is trying to get market value, there still isn’t much of a market for his services. Maybe being in his late 30s and having one of the best wideouts in a generation catching Kurt’s passes is making people realize that there’s still a gap between Warner and the truly elite NFL quarterbacks.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
FROM URBAN:

My cohort Kent Somers is reporting a new offer from Kurt Warner's side to the Cards, one that splits up $12 million in guaranteed money over the two years and would be worth $23 million total. Warner's agent said the previous reports of $23 million included $3 million of incentives; I am assuming then this $23 million is all salary and bonus. One thing also made very clear -- Warner does not want to leave Arizona. We all knew this. Now we see how it plays out from here.

UPDATE: Somers has updated his story with an interesting factoid -- the first-year salary of $7 million is apparently not included in the first revelation of the contract offer. Virtually every agent (who assumes a client isn't going to be cut in the first year of a contract) counts the first-year salary as guaranteed money. That would give Warner $13 million in all "guarantees" the first year and another $6 million in the second year (along with apparently a $4 million salary). Again, the gap has closed, but it doesn't sound like the automatic slam dunk it was. To give $19 million in guarantees over two years is a hefty sum.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
PFT is full of it. You know they are full of it when they say the words Sources tell me.

The Beat writter for the 49ers as well as the Beat Writters for the Cardinals are saying there is a very real big offer on the table. 49ers wouldnt have spent so much money wining and dining him if they werent going to offer a big deal.

The guy who was doing all the blogging yesterday Matt Miaco or something like, he is like our Somers here but for the Niners. Was on the radio and said that Kurt will be leaving a lot of money on the table if he stays with the CaArds. They also asked him about the WR's and he laughed and pretty much said not a one of them is a starter and their are bad.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
PFT is full of it. You know they are full of it when they say the words Sources tell me.

The Beat writter for the 49ers as well as the Beat Writters for the Cardinals are saying there is a very real big offer on the table. 49ers wouldnt have spent so much money wining and dining him if they werent going to offer a big deal.

The guy who was doing all the blogging yesterday Matt Miaco or something like, he is like our Somers here but for the Niners. Was on the radio and said that Kurt will be leaving a lot of money on the table if he stays with the CaArds. They also asked him about the WR's and he laughed and pretty much said not a one of them is a starter and their are bad.
Yup Matt M and Matthew Barrows are the most reliable at what they do.
Sources say the 49ers offered more money than what Warner is willing to take with the Cardinals. (It is not known exactly what the 49ers offered.)
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/03/warner-lowers-his-demand-to-cardinals.html

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If Kurt goes to SF, we should have an over/under bet each week on how mant times he comes off the field screaming at his O-Coordinator. :D

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So who's bluff has been called here? Warners or the Cards?

kjbad

Reaction score
Warner still has the trump card if he chooses to make retirement a serious threat. But he lost a lot of leverage today.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Urban's latest blog:

As the Warner turns

Now comes this piece of news -- the 49ers deny making an offer to Kurt Warner, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, meaning Warner isn't necessarily leaving money on the table with his new proposal to the Cards. The twists and turns continue.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Warner still has the trump card if he chooses to make retirement a serious threat. But he lost a lot of leverage today.

Not much of a trump card.

The Cards move on and there is no chance they'd have to face him...

Thank you, Kurt... enjoy retirement.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Urban's latest blog:

As the Warner turns

Now comes this piece of news -- the 49ers deny making an offer to Kurt Warner, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, meaning Warner isn't necessarily leaving money on the table with his new proposal to the Cards. The twists and turns continue.

49ers deny making offer to Warner
John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 3, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In an e-mail to The Chronicle, general manager Scot McCloughan said "no offer" had been made to Warner. It's possible that contract generalities might have been discussed during his six-hour visit.

An ESPN report said the 49ers had offered more than the $23 million proposal Warner and agent Mark Bartelstein presented to the Arizona Cardinals on Tuesday to retain the services of the two-time league most valuable player.

Bartelstein also said the 49ers offered Warner more than $23 million.

Specifics of Bartelstein's offer to the Cardinals are $12 million guaranteed over two seasons, $6 million in 2009 and $6 million in 2012. As an incentive to get the Cardinals to re-sign wide receiver Anquan Boldin, Warner proposed taking $1 million less each season if Boldin gets a new contract.

Reiterating Warner's desire to remain in Arizona, Bartelstein told the Arizona Republic, "Kurt's heart is still here."

So much for the Tony Bennett factor working in San Francisco's favor.

Free agent defensive end Demetric Evans of the Washington Redskins arrived Tuesday for a visit and a medical exam and could be signed later in the day.

E-mail John Crumpacker at [email protected].

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

PFT is a scandal sheet. Calling whomever writes for them or gets "info" beat writers is a perfect description....if you get my drift.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PFT is a scandal sheet. Calling whomever writes for them or gets "info" beat writers is a perfect description....if you get my drift.
However its been confirmed by the beat writer for the 49ers on the San Francisco Chronicle that no offer was ever made to Warner. His agent Bartelstein is a LIAR. And we always hear from Warner about his faith!!!
Amazing.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
However its been confirmed by the beat writer for the 49ers on the San Francisco Chronicle that no offer was ever made to Warner. His agent Bartelstein is a LIAR. And we always hear from Warner about his faith!!!
Amazing.
The beat writer confirmed it? LMAO Then it must be true.

gohard83

Registered
Reaction score
Amazing.

It's been about the money all along. The 49ers took a cheap shot at the Cardinals so make you guys panic and watse your cap space. I never wanted Warner on the 49ers especially when he doens't really fit our scheme. Singletary has said all offseason that we want a smash mouth football team so when i was surprised when he said he was willing to change the offense for Warner.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been about the money all along. The 49ers took a cheap shot at the Cardinals so make you guys panic and watse your cap space. I never wanted Warner on the 49ers especially when he doens't really fit our scheme. Singletary has said all offseason that we want a smash mouth football team so when i was surprised when he said he was willing to change the offense for Warner.

Yep, and it didn't work, but I can't say that I blame them.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Amazing.

I heard a good one today. Bartelstein does the lying so that Warner can stay in God's good graces.

:D

Saxon079

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The 9ers are saying they did not put a deal down on paper but "It's possible that contract generalities might have been discussed during his six-hour visit." general manager Scot McCloughan

Come on they put him on a privet jet gave him a medical exam but never talk about a deal. The one and only thing that could get him to think about playing there. OK

"An ESPN report said the 49ers had offered more than the $23 million proposal Warner and agent Mark Bartelstein presented to the Arizona Cardinals on Tuesday to retain the services of the two-time league most valuable player. Bartelstein also said the 49ers offered Warner more than $23 million."

Sorry I can't post links yet but all of this thats in " " is a copy past from the San Francisco Chronicle.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course the Niners will deny making a real offer. They don't want to look like they got used. And, it's probably true in a sense that they didn't print one off and say "please, sign." But, there's no way in hell they didn't do what they did yesterday unless they were prepared to top the Cardinals offer.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 9ers are saying they did not put a deal down on paper but "It's possible that contract generalities might have been discussed during his six-hour visit." general manager Scot McCloughan

Come on they put him on a privet jet gave him a medical exam but never talk about a deal. The one and only thing that could get him to think about playing there. OK

"An ESPN report said the 49ers had offered more than the $23 million proposal Warner and agent Mark Bartelstein presented to the Arizona Cardinals on Tuesday to retain the services of the two-time league most valuable player. Bartelstein also said the 49ers offered Warner more than $23 million."

Sorry I can't post links yet but all of this thats in " " is a copy past from the San Francisco Chronicle.

No wonder Warner wouldn't sign. They put him on an airplane made out of shubbery.:D

Saxon079

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No wonder Warner wouldn't sign. They put him on an airplane made out of shubbery.:D

Nice, I have learned two things hanging out here today. Kurt V Matt is religion no matter what board your on and every board has the spelling police.

You must be registered for see images

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, I have learned two things hanging out here today. Kurt V Matt is religion no matter what board your on and every board has the spelling police.

You must be registered for see images

Hey, don't take it so hard youngun. It's all in good fun.