Notre Dame vs Georgia Tech

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow the Irish looked bad.
Are they really that bad or is Georgia Tech really that good?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow the Irish looked bad.
Are they really that bad or is Georgia Tech really that good?

Both, in my opinion. But openers are openers and can be misleading.

In Notre Dame's case, most fans on blueandgold.com have been predicting about a 6-6 season. Poor QBs, very few juniors and seniors left (most transfered out when Ty W got fired), and a new defensive coordinator installing a new 3-4 defense.

The weird thing is this: the Irish had minus 8 yds rushing yesterday but they are loaded with good young RBs.

In my opinion, my Irish will struggle a lot for the first four games or so, and improve a lot by season's end, IF Jimmy Claussen is made the starter.

He showed yesterday in limited play he was so much better than Jones or Sharpley, that Weis will be forced to start him soon.

Claussen surprised me. I thought he was waay overrated. Now, I understand why he was so coveted a recruit.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both, in my opinion. But openers are openers and can be misleading.

In Notre Dame's case, most fans on blueandgold.com have been predicting about a 6-6 season. Poor QBs, very few juniors and seniors left (most transfered out when Ty W got fired), and a new defensive coordinator installing a new 3-4 defense.

The weird thing is this: the Irish had minus 8 yds rushing yesterday but they are loaded with good young RBs.

In my opinion, my Irish will struggle a lot for the first four games or so, and improve a lot by season's end, IF Jimmy Claussen is made the starter.

He showed yesterday in limited play he was so much better than Jones or Sharpley, that Weis will be forced to start him soon.

Claussen surprised me. I thought he was waay overrated. Now, I understand why he was so coveted a recruit.

Be careful what you wish for, they just named Clausen the starter for Penn State.

He didn't play that much what was it that impressed you? I didn't see any of the game but looking at his numbers nothing special so it must have been something else like poise or how comfortable he looked?

Pretty rare for a true freshman QB to start at a place like ND but Clausen is a pretty unusual prospect whole family of QB's.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Georgia tech may have one of the best defenses in the country.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ, if you had watched the game, the score was 6-3 Tech forever, until the weary Irish defense finally got tired and caved.

The first 2 Irish QBs did nothing but lose fumbles, get sacked, and generally screw up everything. Tech's excellent aggressive defense utterly dominated.

But Tech's offense couldn't do crap with great field position once they got into the red zone. Notre Dame's defense wasn't stopping the run well at all but Tech's offense just turned inept a bunch of times.

Finally, when Jimmy Clausen was inserted late in the game, he made quick reads, accurate throws and did not get sacked. The game was out of reach by then but it was immediately clear who was the superior Irish QB talent.

I know this sounds weird for a team that had -8 yds rushing, the Irish are loaded with speed and power RBs and even have speed on defense. As the season progresses, the team will improve.

Clausen has been named the starter for the rest of the season. As a true freshman, he will undoubtedly suffer through some tough learning lessons these next two games at Penn State and Michigan. And I'll hate to see what Pete Carroll has in store for him.

Clausen's got some weapons, including some speed WRs and good TEs.

People are enjoying jumping on Weis right now. It won't last long.

Reaction score
Look at what Clausen did in CA. Me living in his area I am proud of what he did but the only true test was in the cif championship. He didnt play to his potential. His fallback was Tyler and since ND does not have a realistically good rb hes screwed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at what Clausen did in CA. Me living in his area I am proud of what he did but the only true test was in the cif championship. He didnt play to his potential. His fallback was Tyler and since ND does not have a realistically good rb hes screwed.

He threw a few picks in that game but he does have talent. I just question whether ANY true freshman QB is ready to come in and start for Notre Dame against Penn State this early? Especially when he missed time with an injury in camp.

he only played one series, down 30, 5 minutes left. I am sure he did look better than Sharpley the kid got sacked 7 times and watching highlights on tv looked like he was looking for a place to fall he was so flustered.

Just seems weird one drive in mopup time convinced him to start a kid but Weis has enough job security he's not going to start a kid just because the alums want it.

Should be interesting, Mark May predicted they'd be 0-8 to start this year, they have a really tough schedule on paper not sure I buy 0-8 but I could easily see 2-6 if the QB continues to not have time to throw.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Stout and Russ: Is Clausen ready to start at #14 Penn State in front of more than 105,000 screaming fans? Are you nutz? Hell no! I just hope he shows poise and does some positive things.

2. 40459: Notre Dame has speed backs, power backs, and depth at both. You've just haven't seen them yet.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
1. Stout and Russ: Is Clausen ready to start at #14 Penn State in front of more than 105,000 screaming fans? Are you nutz? Hell no! I just hope he shows poise and does some positive things.

2. 40459: Notre Dame has speed backs, power backs, and depth at both. You've just haven't seen them yet.

Skkorp, it'll just be nice that your team is visiting this year, and that your team has the young, inexperienced QB this time around :)

Sorry about the ribbing, man. That game from last year still stings a lot. If it helps out, though, I'll be rooting for you to win just about every other game, to help our strength of schedule :thumbup: