Nurk thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Undersized combo forward is a premium position? What's an example of something that isn't a premium position?

Three and D wingers are a premium position. He's a good defender and one of the better three point shooters in the league.

He provides a lot more value than a big man who doesn't do anything particularly well and misses a ton of games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Three and D wingers are a premium position. He's a good defender and one of the better three point shooters in the league.

He provides a lot more value than a big man who doesn't do anything particularly well and misses a ton of games.
He’s okay defensively. Put a real pf on him and he gets rolled. And he’s averaged 56.5 games per season over his first four seasons.

Nurkic is a good rebounder and passer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s okay defensively. Put a real pf on him and he gets rolled. And he’s averaged 56.5 games per season over his first four seasons.

Nurkic is a good rebounder and passer.

Almost no one uses real power forwards anymore, he gets ragged on for getting bulldozed by Giannis but Giannis bulldozes everyone. By any measure, Cam Johnson has been a solid defender.

Regardless, he's a much more valuable player than Nurkic.

Nurkic is an above average rebounder, he does get some assists, but he isn't a exactly a play maker. He's a center who plays below the rim and away from the basket, he better be able to pass a bit.

I said it before the trade, to me Nurkic is just "a guy". A sub par starter at a position that isn't a premium.

If the relation with Ayton and the rest of the team was unfixable... then it is what it is, we had to do something, but on talent alone, this trade is a clear step backwards.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost no one uses real power forwards anymore, he gets ragged on for getting bulldozed by Giannis but Giannis bulldozes everyone. By any measure, Cam Johnson has been a solid defender.

Regardless, he's a much more valuable player than Nurkic.

Nurkic is an above average rebounder, he does get some assists, but he isn't a exactly a play maker. He's a center who plays below the rim and away from the basket, he better be able to pass a bit.

I said it before the trade, to me Nurkic is just "a guy". A sub par starter at a position that isn't a premium.

If the relation with Ayton and the rest of the team was unfixable... then it is what it is, we had to do something, but on talent alone, this trade is a clear step backwards.
Earlier this afternoon I heard Wolfley say something and he is rarely worth repeating. However, he said that the Suns after the trade are less talented but could be a better team. He said even though the Suns clearly were more talented with Ayton, they might be a better team because now they have guys that will buy into and believe in the system.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Earlier this afternoon I heard Wolfley say something and he is rarely worth repeating. However, he said that the Suns after the trade are less talented but could be a better team. He said even though the Suns clearly were more talented with Ayton, they might be a better team because now they have guys that will buy into and believe in the system.

Yeah, the idea that Ayton's defeatism was a primary factor the spiral in our 2 playoff defeats is not outlandish.

Just not big on Nurkic, never thought he was anything special and man... the rest of the trade, yuck.

Hopefully the sum adds up to more than the parts.

Last edited:

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I expect by the end of the season Chewbaca Osobuco will take the starting 5 spot.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2nd best MAY be Bol Bol. He's played with and plays up for Jokic.

Suns going with a cerebral approach, obtaining any former center teammates who know Jokic’s game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Interesting Denver perspective on Nurkic and Monty.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting Denver perspective on Nurkic and Monty.

These guys must have not gotten over Nurkic even after all these years. They are still taking jabs at him.

So they don't think the Suns can beat Denver with our offense. We shall see.

I think they underrate the Suns at center and the team's ability to play defense.

The Suns beat Denver twice in the playoffs last season with a skeleton squad.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Ironically, the Portland Announcers in this package called him the 2nd Coming of Tom Chambers.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no, 2018-2019 he played 72 games and had a PER of 23.4 which is higher than any season of Ayton's (or Booker's) career.
PER is a garbage stat, especially when comparing big men to any other position.

I'm sorry everybody trying to claim Nurkic is better than Ayton give it up, nobody that knows anything believes that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm sorry everybody trying to claim Nurkic is better than Ayton give it up, nobody that knows anything believes that.

When PER is used to compare 2 guys who play the same position, it can be telling.

I don't think anyone believes Nurkic is better than Ayton overall but I believe Nurkic is better for this Suns team than Ayton. Seems the front office felt that way also.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When PER is used to compare 2 guys who play the same position, it can be telling.

I don't think anyone believes Nurkic is better than Ayton overall but I believe Nurkic is better for this Suns team than Ayton. Seems the front office felt that way also.
And at the price. Heck, even Ayton agreed!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nurkic ranks 32nd among NBA centers in PER. Not I would use that stat as a plus for Nurkic.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we can safely change the name of this thread now. :D I think we can all agree it's no longer "too early".

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we can safely change the name of this thread now. :D I think we can all agree it's no longer "too early".
Yeah but if we don't get the healthier version of Nurkic from a couple of years ago, it may always be too early for a Nurkic thread.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This. It can be telling but even more so when you compare other stats along side it. Nurkic is not better than Ayton talent wise. However, Nurkic might end up being a more consistent contributor if he stays healthy. Let's hope so anyway.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wolfley is such a homer. He makes me sound like Bickley.

Yeah. Nurk wants to be here. That is encouraging. He has lost some weight. That is encouraging. Maybe he will stay a little more healthy. His injury history is a litany of knee, back, leg, lower back, adductor, calf, etc. I am trying not to get my hopes up with this guy.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nurkic sounds like he is bought in and excited to be here that alone makes him better for this team than a lazy malcontent! Ayton is delusional and still spewing his dominance BS in laughable interviews. Nurk is a superior passer and has a better outside shot and will battle for rebounds, and at 280 has some beef not not just get pushed around! If he can stay relatively healthy he is much better for this team. And if nothing else the 3 other guys are moveable pieces unlike the overpaid delusional clown we finally rid ourselves of!