Oaken1 tries a mock......

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
okay fellas...been researching for a while on which players I think will help the team versus which players will be available at our respective picks...and this is what I came away with.

round 1 #7....Chance Warmack....G.....Bama
been disected ad naseum

round 2 #38.....Jamie Collins......OLB......Southern Miss
Big. Fantastic measurables...needs technique coaching coming off the edge, but started college as a FS and has solid coverage skills for an OLB....4.5 speed is impressive, long arms, powerful, very athletic frame with room to add strength,wraps up and can manhandle blockers at times...overall a fairly solid all around OLB in a league that is pass happy...can also help contain mobile QB's...

round 3 #69......Vance McDonald......TE......Rice
6'4"...34.5" armes...10 3/8" hands...4.5 speed....outstanding athlete, catches the ball with his hands, works the seam very well,...has a finishing attitude when blocking...will need to bulk up and freshen blocking technique just a bit, should be a very productive TE in the NFL if not an all out star at the position....really like this kid from the small school

round 4 #103.....Barret Jones.....C......Bama
huge center, mauler, pile mover...and already has continuity with Warmack...this pick gives us 60% of our o-line with two years or less in the league, and what should be a solid foundation for the next ten seasons or so

round 5 #140.....Josh Evans.......FS.......Florida
decent size, fair speed, aggressive mentality...just a bit thin...plays it safe at times and breaks up passes rather than go for the pick...some may call that maturity and being a team first player...others may call it playing tentative...solid athlete with solid skills

round 6 #174......Jawan Jamison....RB.....Rutgers
was looking at Zac Dysert here because the team stated they should draft a QB every season, but I think they will give themselves a pass on that philosophy this draft.....Jamison is a bowling ball, solid all around back that is shifty in the open field and plays bigger than he is....which leads to the knock...his lack of size will either cause injuries or force him to be in a RB by committee...but the NFL is doing RB committee these days, so he should be fine...the kid is shifty, can catch, and can pass block...pretty solid pick this late in the draft.

round 7 #219.....Denard Robinson......WR.....Michigan
I am assuming Robinson slips just a little to get to us here....basically he needs to make it past the Raiders....developmental project that was once a QB....blazing speed, long arms, very elusive in open space....a bubble screen kinda guy.....needs to develop the discipline for the position, focus on crispness of cuts and technicalities of the routes but coaching him up should not be too difficult.

anyway, there it is fellas....does not have the dazzle and flash I was expecting as many of these players I have never heard of before I started researching for the mock,lol.....but history would indicate we will not get the top name in every round anyway so I think this could be a realistic view of what may happen.....flame away

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great mock, love the first four picks. I'm not too fond of Evans but if he's still available in the 5th it's a decent gamble.

Steve

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be ecstatic if Jones is somehow there in the 4th. This does address most of our needs though.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I would be ecstatic if Jones is somehow there in the 4th. This does address most of our needs though.

before I started this I was certain if we wanted Jones we would have to make a move in the third to get him.... but I think we will see a run on QB's in the third round and Center, which is an undervalued position, will be forgotten. Also, I believe his size is a detriment for many teams. 6'5" is huge for a center, and IMO many teams will pass strictly based on that....your QB has to be a minimum of 6'4" for a C this size....the helmet adds about three inches which makes him six eight, even squatted in a pass blocking stance,...about six foot two....a QB under 6'4" would just barely be able to see over him at that height...which closes the center of the field for shorter QB's or at least makes them have to step to the side....which then alters the passing lanes.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really great mock..i dont know too much evans but certainly a position of need

jjjcardsfan85

Reaction score
Thats a solid mock, that would fill our needs. I don,t know a whole lot about Jamison or McDonald but i think we might look at knile davis or Stepfan taylor at rb.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Thats a solid mock, that would fill our needs. I don,t know a whole lot about Jamison or McDonald but i think we might look at knile davis or Stepfan taylor at rb.

Jamison and McDonald are both small school guys with loads of upside...I personally think McDonald will be an excellent TE in the league....

I like Stepfan Taylor as well but I think he will be going in the late second/early third round and both Collins and McDonald are better picks at those spots for this team IMO.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste a #3 on a tight end, we just drafted the guy from Fla Atlantic, Housler I believe. Give him another year, get a LB or OL.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste a #3 on a tight end, we just drafted the guy from Fla Atlantic, Housler I believe. Give him another year, get a LB or OL.

normally neither would I...but rumor has it our new HC likes to run a lot of two TE sets...in which case we need another one....and a big youngster who can both block and catch is a valuable commodity....plus, this kid runs a 4.5, combine that with Housler's speed, with Larry and Floyd on the ouside, and the passing game is in full affect.
McDonald and Housler streaking the seams will keep both safeties back, opening up many one on one situations for the wideouts