O'Donnell a FA

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
The Tennessee Titans surprisingly cut veteran quarterback Neil O'Donnell as they trimmed their roster to the 53-man limit.

The Titans released O'Donnell in February to get under the salary cap, and coach Jeff Fisher stayed in close contact with the 13-year veteran over the next few months as the quarterback visited with Minnesota, New Orleans and Miami.

Tennessee finally re-signed O'Donnell in late June. But three-year veteran Billy Volek beat O'Donnell out as the No. 2 quarterback, leaving the veteran too expensive for a team needing money to add depth at other positions.

If something happened to Blake this guy would be a great backup...I know we've all moved on but he'd be a nice p/u...

shoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Would love to have a quality veteran like o'donnell as a backup compared to Mcown .................Someone Mr. Graves needs to look at

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd pick him up in a heartbeat...he is a quality NFL backup vet QB that could help us if Blake goes down...I just don't have confidence in our backups should Blake get injured!

OP
OP
Jttsaz

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
O'Donnell is a guy that couls win games for us....be a great pickup...but what do you do with Parsons? Practice squad?

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
i like odonnell but he cant throw the ball longer than 10 yards. he will manage the game very well.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Originally posted by jtav10
i like odonnell but he cant throw the ball longer than 10 yards. he will manage the game very well.

That guy who can't throw the ball ten yards somehow took his team to the super bowl a few years back. He's worth having around as a true veteran backup.

I say bring the guy in - he would be a great Qb to have if Blake went down.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You nailed it. He is a complete misfit for Sullivan's downfield passing attack.

I would not want to expose Parsons to free agency. If Blake goes down, who gives a damn if O'Donnell comes in and wins 2 and loses 8? The team will still flounder. I'd rather flounder with the kids.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
that was a long time ago. staubach was in the bowl with the cowboys, maybe we can get him.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Heck ya, I was campaigning for him when he was a FA the first time. He's old, but he would be a fine insurance policy to have in case Blake goes down, and McCown sux. :thumbup:

...It's not like we can't afford it.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not a fit for the Cards situation at all. O'Donnell isn't as good as he was a few years back and he wasn't that great then.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
As much as I would like to have O'Donnell as our backup I have to agree with Skkorp on this one. We might as well find out if McCown and Parsons will cut the mustard or do we need to find new QBs next year. At this point I think Blake is just a stopgap measure and we need to find out if we should keep McCown or not.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
You nailed it. He is a complete misfit for Sullivan's downfield passing attack.

I would not want to expose Parsons to free agency. If Blake goes down, who gives a damn if O'Donnell comes in and wins 2 and loses 8? The team will still flounder. I'd rather flounder with the kids.

Yeah, I would side with inactivity (a.k.a. status quo) on this. Jeff Blake doesn't need a veteran tutor and should he get hurt the Cards chances will go with him. Adding a veteran DE like Marco Coleman, however, would be a big benefit. Could help out both King and Pace while playing on running downs.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
:rolleyes: