Offense & O-line analysis - Week 5 (GREAT W)

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Missed last week due to a presentation to the board, water pipe broke and flooded our apartment & of course me absolutely not being in the mood to re-watch the Commanders game.

Observations
I was highly critical of Kyler and Petzing after the Lions game and the first games in general due to the lack of adjustment and playcalling. I argued that the key to the offense was to find the short passing game and not only rely on the running game and deep balls to MHJ. I wouldn't say this was perfect , but the scheme and adjustments were much better in this game. Play-calling was more creative, while not consistent.

To me it looks more and more like the key to the offense is to give Kyler time in the pocket to keep the offense balanced. That can be done through a dominant run game, but if that doesn't execute then it's up for Petzing to find schemes and plays to buy Kyler time.

Positives & Trends
The scheme returned more to the default scheme of multiple TE set and tight formations when having 4 WR sets. This looks to be a better formular as Petzing mixed these formation with great variation. TEs were kept in the help pass-blocking especially on Bosa, but sent enough on routes to keep the defense honest freeing up the intermediate routes where Wilson excelled. On Wilson's long catch he shouldn't be able to get that open, but the 49ers D had to respect the TEs that started the play blocking freeing up Wilson.

Loved the TD to Higgins. Creative play-calling from the standard formation. Reiman saw his first target and catch. Nothing fancy, but helps keep the offense honest.

Very different play from Froholdt in this game. He's often used to pull on outside runs, but played a more classical C role in this by reaching the second level inside - will be interesting to see if this is a trend or pure design to contain Fred Warner. Froholdt was again good. In evaluating employees I also look at high bar performance and low bar performance. Froholdt has a very high low bar, and while not being dominant he rarely makes a bad block.

More designed runs by Kyler and out of 12 & 13 personal. I'm a fan, because it's yet another lever to keep the Defense guessing. I would like to see this more consistently - like 5 times a game. The TD run was pretty. Not only watching Kyler turning on the afterburner, but try re-watching it and see Raiman KILLING Bosa and then taking our Warner from the play. BEAUTIFUL!

Very clean game again.

Negatives
Losing Hernandez sucks. He was excellent in this game and overall the the 3rd best OL after PJJ (who again looked good) and Froholdt. Using the same analogy as Froholdt. Hernandez has shown High bar performance and low bar performance in the season. Regardless he will be missed.

1st half run game was bad and 49ers were clearly focused on stopping Connor. It took the short passing game and perhaps fatigue to open up the run game and Conner looked dominant in the 2nd half.

James Connor was the only RB with runs.... That is not a good sign! We have a talented 3rd round pick on the active roster and Carter in the PS. Connor should not carry the entire load by himself.

MHJ not winning all contested catched. Yes, I had arguebly the most important play of the game, but two other passes that I would expect an elite WR to catch.

What to look for
Zay Jones is back this week and it will be interesting to see how that helps the passing game.

Reiman is killing it in blocking and had his first target. Is this the turning point for Reiman to become a bigger part of the offense.

Who will replace Hernandez? Colon replaced him in the game, but is it time for Adams? I would love to see that. Not sure how good it will be, but I believe Adams wouldn't skip a beat in the rungame - I do however have a huge concern how he would look in the pass-blocking. And what about Gaines?

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake