Offenses down around the league?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The reasons are varied, and many of you have already hit on them. Regardless, the NFL won’t stand pat if the offensive numbers don’t improve. They never have. Expect rule changes to further help the offense.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Like Chopper said, I’ve always been a proponent of QBs have to be able to beat you from the pocket.

Today’s game doesn’t produce many of them anymore. It’s all about the athletic QB that can beat you with his feet as well.

The best young QB that can beat you from the pocket looks to be Stroud.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Like Chopper said, I’ve always been a proponent of QBs have to be able to beat you from the pocket.

Today’s game doesn’t produce many of them anymore. It’s all about the athletic QB that can beat you with his feet as well.

The best young QB that can beat you from the pocket looks to be Stroud.
Exactly. That's why--and I'm making a big call here--I think Mahommey will end up the GOAT. Brady was a master of the pocket, but PM is a true freak, thriving in the pocket AND able to play athletically on the run and still be deadly.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Exactly. That's why--and I'm making a big call here--I think Mahommey will end up the GOAT. Brady was a master of the pocket, but PM is a true freak, thriving in the pocket AND able to play athletically on the run and still be deadly.
If you look at career trajectory he is way ahead of Brady or anyone else. If Mahomey can play till 45 dude is gonna have his own wing at Canton

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you look at career trajectory he is way ahead of Brady or anyone else. If Mahomey can play till 45 dude is gonna have his own wing at Canton
Many said the same thing about Woods catching and surpassing Nicklaus in majors won. There was a time when it looked obvious that Tiger would win 25+ majors. Yes, it would appear Mahomes may catch Brady, but $hit happens. Yes, he’s phenomenal in most areas, and yes, the refs certainly help his cause. But, he still has a long ways to go to catch Brady. And, at some point, he won’t have Andy Reid on the sideline either. But, even when that day comes, the BEST coaches will line up and beg to be next in line.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Many said the same thing about Woods catching and surpassing Nicklaus in majors won. There was a time when it looked obvious that Tiger would win 25+ majors. Yes, it would appear Mahomes may catch Brady, but $hit happens. Yes, he’s phenomenal in most areas, and yes, the refs certainly help his cause. But, he still has a long ways to go to catch Brady. And, at some point, he won’t have Andy Reid on the sideline either. But, even when that day comes, the BEST coaches will line up and beg to be next in line.
Obviously...tis the manner of predictions and trajectories

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Tiger is the GOAT even though Jack has more majors. MJ is the GOAT even though Russell has more titles. Brady having the most Super Bowls doesn’t constitute GOAT status.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

What do you think is the cause for this? Inferior QB era? More athletic DL? Two-High coverage?

All the defenses are drafted designed to stop the pass, the pendulum swings toward easier to run and run it in.

Plus Gannon knows what cards aint - without playing preseason.

When Jim Harbaugh left the NFL following the 2014 season to take the job at the University of Michigan, the league was becoming increasingly pass-happy. Over the past few years, though, the pro game has shifted back in the direction of teams that can run the ball.
While the "three yards and a cloud of dust" approach makes some observers cringe, many of the most consistent teams in the NFL today rely on a punishing ground attack to spark success in the regular season and beyond. Last season, 11 of the 14 playoff participants finished the regular season ranked in the top 15 in rushing yards, with three of the four teams that made it to Championship Sunday (the 49ers, Lions and Ravens) boasting top-five run games.
This transition away from air dominance continued in the opening week of this season: Per NFL Research, teams combined for just 6,026 net passing yards league-wide, the lowest total in a Week 1 since 2000 (5,824) and more than 2,400 yards fewer than the all-time high (8,440 in 2019). Just two quarterbacks -- the Rams' Matthew Stafford and Dolphins' Tua Tagovailoa -- hit the 300-yard mark last week, the lowest Week 1 total since 2005.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Taking a closer look, one could argue that Mahomes is off to an even faster start than Brady. At age 28:

Super Bowl Victories: Brady 3, Mahomes 3.

Super Bowl MVPs: Brady 2, Mahomes 3.

AFC Championship Games: Brady 3, Mahomes 6.

AFC Championships: Brady 3, Mahomes 4.

NFL MVP Awards: Brady 0, Mahomes 2.

All-Pro Teams: Brady 1, Mahomes 3.

Regular-Season Record: Brady 70-24, Mahomes 72-22.

TD Passes: Brady 167, Mahomes 258.

Interceptions: Brady 87, Mahomes 69.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
All the defenses are drafted designed to stop the pass, the pendulum swings toward easier to run and run it in.

Plus Gannon knows what cards aint - without playing preseason.

When Jim Harbaugh left the NFL following the 2014 season to take the job at the University of Michigan, the league was becoming increasingly pass-happy. Over the past few years, though, the pro game has shifted back in the direction of teams that can run the ball.
While the "three yards and a cloud of dust" approach makes some observers cringe, many of the most consistent teams in the NFL today rely on a punishing ground attack to spark success in the regular season and beyond. Last season, 11 of the 14 playoff participants finished the regular season ranked in the top 15 in rushing yards, with three of the four teams that made it to Championship Sunday (the 49ers, Lions and Ravens) boasting top-five run games.
This transition away from air dominance continued in the opening week of this season: Per NFL Research, teams combined for just 6,026 net passing yards league-wide, the lowest total in a Week 1 since 2000 (5,824) and more than 2,400 yards fewer than the all-time high (8,440 in 2019). Just two quarterbacks -- the Rams' Matthew Stafford and Dolphins' Tua Tagovailoa -- hit the 300-yard mark last week, the lowest Week 1 total since 2005.
And 9 of Finished in the top 15 in passing. It stands to reason that playoff teams can beat you in many different ways.

602 Native

Veteran
Reaction score
Another overreaction thread after the first week of the season.

Meanwhile K1 puts up a perfect QB rating and leads his team to a big win.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why we're sitting pretty with our incredibly physically gifted dual threat QB!

K1's rushing line from Sunday:

Five carries for 57 yards! 11.4 average!

I wish in 2nd half DP would have called his number on maybe four or five more designed run plays!

Murray is still beating LBs and defensive linemen to the edge, and it's still no contest him vs. one defender in the open field!

For the love of god, run Murray more! lol
Can't say I agree. The injury risk is not worth it, at least in the regular season.

I think the Rams game was about perfect in his decision making.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Can't say I agree. The injury risk is not worth it, at least in the regular season.

I think the Rams game was about perfect in his decision making.

Hmmm... five rushes in each of the first two games. FWIW, he's on pace for almost 1,000 rushing for the season.

Idk. If Conner, McBride, Wilson etc are all having effective games, I agree, no need for K1 to carry more than five or six times in a game (designed runs anyway).

I think there's a future game though, maybe an important one, where the Cardinals' best chance of winning is Murray running 10 or 12 times during that game.

But I see your point Proximo.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Hmmm... five rushes in each of the first two games. FWIW, he's on pace for almost 1,000 rushing for the season.

Idk. If Conner, McBride, Wilson etc are all having effective games, I agree, no need for K1 to carry more than five or six times in a game (designed runs anyway).

I think there's a future game though, maybe an important one, where the Cardinals' best chance of winning is Murray running 10 or 12 times during that game.

But I see your point Proximo.
Wish there were stats for scrambles