Offensive line.. is it mental or physical?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paula Boivin's column yesterday pretty much answer the question (at least in my mind). So yes, it's mental and she even mentions Wonderlic scores (most centers and tackles get pretty high scores). Which begs the question: what were these guys scores anyway???

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1003boivin1003.html

I don't know about the rest but Step is highly intelligent, that was one of the things everyone liked on him pre draft. That and he was ultra competitive being a former wrestler.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest but Step is highly intelligent, that was one of the things everyone liked on him pre draft. That and he was ultra competitive being a former wrestler.

Yeah, but we already knew his issue was physical, not mental. He needs to hit the weight room or work on his footwork, or something!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, but we already knew his issue was physical, not mental. He needs to hit the weight room or work on his footwork, or something!

FOOTWORK - You nailed it. Obviously, strength, attitude, intelligence all come into play. But the really good OLinemen have GREAT footwork. Combine the above attributes & add quick feet & you have yourself a stud OLineman.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paula Boivin's column yesterday pretty much answer the question (at least in my mind). So yes, it's mental and she even mentions Wonderlic scores (most centers and tackles get pretty high scores). Which begs the question: what were these guys scores anyway???

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1003boivin1003.html
I suspect they aren't bad, otherwise it would have been included in the story.

As it is, it's almost as if she wrote the article with a placeholder paragraph talking about the actual scores and how low they are compared to the good o-lines in the league...but then she did the research and found that they weren't all that bad and it wouldn't fit in the story as-written.

Otherwise, why bring it up? As it is now, the article seems incomplete. It doesn't have a conclusion, all it does is say, "AZ's line is bad, and wonderlic scores seem to be important. The end."

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
We've one of the best long snappers in the game, just get Matt to stand 10 yards behind the line and throw from there.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ok, is it playing people out of their natural positions? Big is a guard. Wells a center or tackle? Ross a guard. Step a guard.

Chavous a saftey, Rolle a saftey. Pace a DE.

Are we starting to get the picture yet?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05