okafor

scotsman13

Reaction score
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/columnstoryS0406DENTON.htm

JOHN DENTON

Standing next to Emeka Okafor last summer while he was in Orlando training with USA Basketball, there was plenty to be impressed with. Okafor was intelligent, witty and had a million-dollar smile to match his chiseled frame.

But what was alarming was that I was nearly looking eye-to-eye with the center/power forward many are projecting to be the top pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. Now, I'm 6-foot-5, which is tall for most sportswriters, but thankfully I'm not being asked to keep Shaquille O'Neal away from the bucket all night.

Okafor is listed at a generous 6-foot-10, which in college basketball terms, means he's really 6-8. Maybe it was Jim Harrick Jr. who measured his height.

Okafor is a marvelous defender, possessing a great sense of timing on his leaps and the ability to jump repeatedly. He is college basketball's all-time leading shot-blocker, an accomplishment that speaks to his enormous talent.

But there is just something that scares me about 6-foot-8ish college post players trying to make a living in the paint in the NBA. The league is littered with players like Marcus Fizer, Joe Smith, Clarence Weatherspoon, Corliss Williamson and Michael Sweetney -- players who dominated inside in college, but have flopped for the most part in the NBA.

There are, of course, exceptions, such as Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer. But Brand is nearly 270 pounds and Boozer makes his living on the offensive end by hitting mid-range jumpers. Okafor is a relatively light 245 pounds and his offensive game is miles behind his defensive skills.

Okafor is a dazzling player, college basketball's best big man by far. But at 6-8, you just have to wonder if he's big enough to survive in the NBA. The top position demands that you draft a star player. I'm still not convinced that Okafor will ever be able to reach such heights.

Contact Denton at [email protected]

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was feeling better after Okafor's size after hearing that Jim Calhoun claimed he was just over 6'9" barefoot. That led me to believe that Calhoun has seen him measured. However last night after the big-game I was feeling a little uneasy again because he did not look very tall standing next to his teammates and even commentator Jim Nantz. He couldn't have been any more than 4-5" taller than Nantz.

If Okafor is any less than 6'9" in shoes I think I would worry about taking him with the #1 draft pick. Still, I would trust the Phoenix Suns Scouts if they took him anyways. If he measured short and his draft stock fell maybe the sons can get him with a lower pick.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just find it hard to believe he is only 6'8" and still blocks that many shots without always jumping. Maybe he has really long arms. In any case, the Aussie was clearly bothered by his defense.

Actually, I'm almost hoping he is that short. I think the Suns chances of getting him are pretty weak. Maybe if he really is that short he will fall a few slots. :thumbup:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I just find it hard to believe he is only 6'8" and still blocks that many shots without always jumping. Maybe he has really long arms. In any case, the Aussie was clearly bothered by his defense.

Actually, I'm almost hoping he is that short. I think the Suns chances of getting him are pretty weak. Maybe if he really is that short he will fall a few slots. :thumbup:

It's college basketball. Loren Woods blocked a bunch of shots also against 6'8 centers and slow unathletic white guys. Okafor will never be a center in the NBA. The scouts realize that he's an NBA power forward, the fans seem unwilling to accept it. And I'm pretty sure the Suns already have a power forward.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
It's college basketball. Loren Woods blocked a bunch of shots also against 6'8 centers and slow unathletic white guys. Okafor will never be a center in the NBA. The scouts realize that he's an NBA power forward, the fans seem unwilling to accept it. And I'm pretty sure the Suns already have a power forward.

At some point it doesn't matter whether he will be a starting center. Okafor is very athletic, very smart, and has great drive. He will be a top player and have an immediate impact. If that means coming off the bench, then so be it.

The scouts who have seen Dwight Howard say he is soft and doesn't play very good defense. He MAY be a great player SOMEDAY, but they said that about Eddie Curry, Chandler, and Diop.

As of right now, Okafor is the best player available. He is not the best "maybe someday player", but he will produce.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Okafor looked to be 6' 9" or 6' 10" in "NBA height" to me, probably 6' 10". Whatever that means in actual height, who cares? 6' 10" means he is the same height as other players who are 6' 10".

That said, I don't think he'll be a star in the NBA. He didn't look quick enough or big enough to be a consistent offensive force in the paint, and he didn't show much of any mid-range game in the (admittedly limited) time I was able to watch him.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on which team drafts him, I think he will end up being at least as good as Ben Wallace. Theo Ratliff is the best shot blocker in the NBA. I'm watching him dominate the Lakers in the lane on defense right now.

Okafor might not be able to start at Center every night, but he could probably average 25-30 minutes per game there and 10-15 as a backup power forward for this team.

Joe Mama

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
And I'm pretty sure the Suns already have a power forward.

Amare and Okafor could easily play together in the front court. If the center is to big for Emeka (which wouldnt be THAT many) then Amare could slide over on defense. Players don't have to match up with the same position on the other team.

Fact of the matter is, Okafor is a shot blocking menace. Yes Loren Woods could block a lot of shots, but could he do it with both hands proficiently? From what I have read, that is pretty rare. Also, since Okafor is smaller than Woods, more of it has to do with timing then height. Also, he knows how to block out and rebound. If you watch Amare when White is the game, he benefits so much from a center that can keep his man out of the lane.

About the scouts realising he is an NBA PF, that doesn't mean a thing. I would guess over 60% of the people who play center in the league are classified as PFs by scouts.

If Okafor is available, the suns should grab him. Plain and simple. I am really intrigued by Howard, but I am not sold on him. If we get the number one, it would be a tough choice, otherwise, Emeka is our guy.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Loren Woods is tall and even somewhat athletic. But he never showed the fire in the belly that separtes top big men from the average. Amare is a lot shorter, but Amare has a take no prisoners style of play that separates him from other guys his size. I see some of the same intensivity in Okafor.

BTW, if by some fluke the Suns get Okafor and re-sign Dice - they would have one of the shortest yet most athletic inside combos in the NBA. Maybe Lampe could play guard. :thumbup: