On contracts, we need to be reasonable

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
By this, some need to open their minds and realize that just because a player's contract escalates in later years does not mean they are not worth the money because they are getting theirs from the beginning of the contract when they were not being paid what they are worth. The Fitz situation I can see the problem because it is hard to think any player is worth that much of a cap hit but still maybe all he has done for the franchise could warrant maybe just that, but Dockett who does bleed Cardinal red is worth every freaking dollar their contract is giving them now because of the past payments. Of course I will not leave out my man Dansby, he should get paid now a decent contract for the times WE DID NOT pay him what he was worth. I go full circle with this stuff :)

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dockett cap hit is about 8.750 mil,honestly is too much .they should ask him to redo his contract,if not they can sign somone else like ziggy hood ,arthur jones ,lamar houston ,earl mitchell

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Dockett cap hit is about 8.750 mil,honestly is too much .they should ask him to redo his contract,if not they can sign somone else like ziggy hood ,arthur jones ,lamar houston ,earl mitchell

Total bull crap, because there are a few players that come to mind who have given everything to this franchise and Dockett is one of them. This is the very reason players want guaranteed money up front and do not want the payments backlogged because people then forget about the times at the beginning of the contract when they where not making what they were worth... and NOW want them to say no to the reason they signed that contract in the first place, for all that was promised them

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Total bull crap, because there are a few players that come to mind who have given everything to this franchise and Dockett is one of them. This is the very reason players want guaranteed money up front and do not want the payments backlogged because people then forget about the times at the beginning of the contract when they where not making what they were worth... and NOW want them to say no to the reason they signed that contract in the first place, for all that was promised them

Is the market's law.
when u decline and your salary is heavy u get cut.
I dont have those hard feelings for millionaire being cut

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One week with out talking money I beg of you (not you personally Jet) :D, we got Disner, anybody raise their hands if they can rock the cash register better than that cat. :D

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My favorite is when people copy and paste the numbers.... and it doesn't come out right.

Fitz18.9/2/19.4m.0)^1.2.3.4:9.7.5//2.i1$
Dansby9.74//^0().420.:^*1.2..??

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Why does Dockett get a pass for his underwhelming play since signing a huge deal?

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Football is a cut throat business , sometimes the player gets the short end of the stick , sometimes the Org. gets the short end of the stick . Life in football is pretty much like life outside of football , it's not always fair . Right now the Saints are cutting players that have played hard for them because they need cap money to pay another player lots of millions .
On the flip side an Org. drafts a Ryan Leaf , pays through the nose and gets hosed .

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
One week with out talking money I beg of you (not you personally Jet) :D, we got Disner, anybody raise their hands if they can rock the cash register better than that cat. :D

BTW... I intend to start one of those kickstarter thingies on Amazon for you and me Dawg. We have to do a video for the donation process, so we will act all cool with a video of Snottleberger throwing that TD pass to beat us in the Super Bowl but with dignified tears running down our cheeks. We will play the pity the poor Card fan thing to the hilt. I'm sure DD would give us some eye catching tweets to get us over the 10k mark at the very least. I know, I'm talking about money again, but our money lol

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why does Dockett get a pass for his underwhelming play since signing a huge deal?

Underwhelming play???? From everything I've seen he's the same player he's always been. He has also been, since signing his huge deal, part of a Cardinal Defense that hasn't finished in the 20's in either points or yards allowed three years in a row after being in the 20's in at least one of the two categories 24 times in the 26 years previous and finished in the top 10 in both categories for the first time since 1994 last season.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is worth every dollar until you run out of cap space and have to choose between guys like Dockett or PP21 because you've spent too much and have no cap space for both.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Everyone is worth every dollar until you run out of cap space and have to choose between guys like Dockett or PP21 because you've spent too much and have no cap space for both.

I disagree...none of them are worth it,...they are being paid to play a damned game and they all act insulted at the concept that they may have to get a damned job when it is over.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If the Cards had a replacement ready for DD, he'd likely be a cap casualty. I'm kind of surprised they haven't asked him to re-structure but that would likely just end up resulting in dead money in the long run. They can afford to pay him this year but this may be his last year in Arizona, at least it will probably be if he wants to remain one of the highest paid players on the team.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If the Cards had a replacement ready for DD, he'd likely be a cap casualty. I'm kind of surprised they haven't asked him to re-structure but that would likely just end up resulting in dead money in the long run. They can afford to pay him this year but this may be his last year in Arizona, at least it will probably be if he wants to remain one of the highest paid players on the team.

I doubt he'd be a cap casualty this year as I don't think the Cardinals could afford to add another $6 million in dead money on top of the $11,789.190 they already have from Levi, Colledge and Snyder. (source Sportrac)

Besides there's only a handful of people on the planet who could adequately replace Dockett and unless you want to go with a rookie most of them would cost just as much.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Go with a rookie.Lower the cap hit by restructuring or get traded.Fitz too.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that would create $27,795,000 in Dead Money and eat up most if not all of the Cards cap space.

We already know that if a player is waived on or before June 1, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Acceleration also occurs when a player is traded or waived and picked up by another team. The new team is not responsible for any of the original signing bonus. The team that waived or traded the player is responsible for the accelerated signing bonus (in the same manner as described above).

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Underwhelming play???? From everything I've seen he's the same player he's always been. He has also been, since signing his huge deal, part of a Cardinal Defense that hasn't finished in the 20's in either points or yards allowed three years in a row after being in the 20's in at least one of the two categories 24 times in the 26 years previous and finished in the top 10 in both categories for the first time since 1994 last season.

This post is so awesome.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Go with a rookie.Lower the cap hit by restructuring or get traded.Fitz too.

He we apparently have a fan of looking good on the ledger, but not on the football field.

I don't think you get any extra wins for having the most cap space.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I disagree...none of them are worth it,...they are being paid to play a damned game and they all act insulted at the concept that they may have to get a damned job when it is over.

They are not being paid to play a game, with the connotation that Pro Football is the equivalent of a kid's game. The NFL is a business not a kids game. A huge business and people who can help sell the product are worth the hundreds of thousands and millions they are paid.

We've seen what happens without the top players: Replacement Players, NFL Europe (which reportedly lost $30 million a season) and attempts to compete with the NFL like the USFL and the He Hate Me League.

:soapbox:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
He we apparently have a fan of looking good on the ledger, but not on the football field.

I don't think you get any extra wins for having the most cap space.

How many wins you going to get when 2 guys are taking up 25 % of your cap space and their production is well below their pay?:D

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The mo9re big dollars are paid in one or two areas that means another area gets shorted.Dallas has tried that for years with several high dollar types and low pay areas or mininmum pay.So he ends up having a 20 million dollar QB playing behind a 1.98 oline

StickManSmith

Reaction score
The mo9re big dollars are paid in one or two areas that means another area gets shorted.Dallas has tried that for years with several high dollar types and low pay areas or mininmum pay.So he ends up having a 20 million dollar QB playing behind a 1.98 oline

This is the type of thinking that gets you a franchise where getting to the second round of the playoffs is a noteworthy event to add to the history books.

Better to pay the players, I think.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How many wins you going to get when 2 guys are taking up 25 % of your cap space and their production is well below their pay?:D

That's how NFL teams function. Stars and scrubs is increasingly becoming the rule--maybe not so much "scrubs", but guys who make max salaries and guys who are at or near the veteran minimum. The $4-$6M per year vet is increasingly disappearing.

And 25% of a team's cap space is over $30M. That would never happen on two players.

But I will tell you that the 2013 Seattle Seahawks had $25.4M tied up in Zach Miller, Russell Okung, and Percy Harvin, all three of whom underachieved.

How many games did they win?

;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05