One thread 40 pages

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hey guys, i cant for the life of me figure out why on the Suns page here, we drag on a thread 40 pages? I have never seen that in any forum, including the Cards one which gets 5 times the traffic. I got on here tonight to see what the Pau Gasol updates are and then i see a thread that long and i leave and go elsewhere. This makes no sense, if there is a newsbreak, it should be its own thread. Its not like there is a ton of coversation in here where we are going to get overloaded with threads. Like i said, the Cards forum gets 5-10 times the amount of traffic and threads, and it works flawlessly. Im sure 90% of us are on iPads anyways. How fun is it to click around 30 pages to find the different updates throughout the day?

C'mon AZ

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the issue. New news typically gets posted in a new thread. What you're seeing in the Gasol thread are the same 10 or 15 people debating the merits.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You should check out the Chargers forum when you get a chance. The threads are all at least 120 pages each.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm with Gaddabout... no clue as to what you are suggesting we do differently. I suppose your interface may be different than the one I get on Firefox. All threads with activity since last time I read them are bolded and listed at the top. Each of them has a little icon at the left edge which one clicks on and it jumps to the first unread post in the thread so the number of pages doesn't play a significant role.

I suppose we could have a special thread called 'Factual News', which doesn't have debates, discussions, hypotheses, conjectures, or analyses - just the facts. It would probably get about one post a week.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm with Gaddabout... no clue as to what you are suggesting we do differently. I suppose your interface may be different than the one I get on Firefox. All threads with activity since last time I read them are bolded and listed at the top. Each of them has a little icon at the left edge which one clicks on and it jumps to the first unread post in the thread so the number of pages doesn't play a significant role.

I suppose we could have a special thread called 'Factual News', which doesn't have debates, discussions, hypotheses, conjectures, or analyses - just the facts. It would probably get about one post a week.
If you only want to know the headlines and the "facts", then can't you just go on the AzCentral website and read the headlines there? They have mostly everything that we are discussing in terms of "facts".

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you only want to know the headlines and the "facts", then can't you just go on the AzCentral website and read the headlines there? They have mostly everything that we are discussing in terms of "facts".

Yes. Everyone should do this.

You must be registered for see images

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hey guys, i cant for the life of me figure out why on the Suns page here, we drag on a thread 40 pages? I have never seen that in any forum, including the Cards one which gets 5 times the traffic. I got on here tonight to see what the Pau Gasol updates are and then i see a thread that long and i leave and go elsewhere. This makes no sense, if there is a newsbreak, it should be its own thread. Its not like there is a ton of coversation in here where we are going to get overloaded with threads. Like i said, the Cards forum gets 5-10 times the amount of traffic and threads, and it works flawlessly. Im sure 90% of us are on iPads anyways. How fun is it to click around 30 pages to find the different updates throughout the day?

C'mon AZ

I doubt it. I'm sure a lot of us occasionally use our tablets here but I'd bet that Ipad traffic on this site is nowhere close to 90%.

You could just change your settings if the page count is getting you down. It's only four pages for me. Anyway, I love threads that are 40 pages long so it wouldn't bother me even if it were. It crosses my mind that things must be going very well in your world if this issue is enough of a lowlight in your life that you would start a thread to complain about fans talking to each other on a forum designed to encourage fans to talk to each other.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How is reading a couple of dozen messages in one thread more time-consuming than reading them each in their own individual threads?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is reading a couple of dozen messages in one thread more time-consuming than reading them each in their own individual threads?

This the question I would ask.

There are many reasons (usually posters) that I stay away at times, but this seems pretty low on that pole.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This the question I would ask.

There are many reasons (usually posters) that I stay away at times, but this seems pretty low on that pole.

Yeah, I'd much rather have them in fewer threads. Also, I have nearly 100 people on Ignore (most of them trolls long since banished), and if there are a bunch of threads with "new posts" that are just people that I have hidden, more time is wasted on false alarms. Much better to see all 12 new posts on one screen and read the one or two I can actually see.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's it matter when you can go to the latest post? Plus, if it's big news such as acquiring Gasol, it will have it's own thread.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the problem. If one wants to start a new thread about the Suns it will live or die on it's own merits. No one says you can't start a new thread about the Suns. If the forum was rigid about new threads being formed, I would feel differently... but it doesn't. Long threads indicate they are popular.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You could do what I do with big threads and just read the first page or 2 of comments and then skip to the end to see if anything was updated since the thread started. Or if there is something in specific you want to discuss you could just create your own thread.