O'Neal and Phoenix

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know a lot of this has been said before, so if you don't like reruns, skip this post.

Apparently D'Antoni won't rule out a Phoenix pursuit of O'Neal. I'm with Chaplin (and others) thinking that it's impossible, but if the Suns weren't thinking about it at all, wouldn't they just say so?

At what point do you cash in your present for your future? If the Suns' best chance to win a title is by making a play for O'Neal, shouldn't they do that? Right now, the Suns' big-man hopes rest on Stoudemire (who seems worthy of the hype) and Lampe (who, in my opinion, doesn't). Wouldn't it be better to go for something closer to a sure thing?

My guess is that the minimum offer the Lakers would even consider for O'Neal would be Marion, Johnson, Lampe, and the #7. They won't trade O'Neal without getting a big man (or prospect) in return, and they also won't settle for a single borderline All-Star among the established players they get. Assuming the White/Bobcats deal goes through, this would leave the Suns with a couple million in cap space still to work with. They could try to get Vujanic, try to keep McDyess, or look for a minimum player or two. Vujanic is probably the most likely of those options.

Then the team is

C - O'Neal/Voskuhl
PF - Stoudemire/?
SF - Cabarkapa/?
SG - Vujanic/Jacobsen
PG - Barbosa/Eisley

I don't like the look of that at all. If the Suns could get O'Neal more cheaply, it might be worth considering, but I don't see that happening.

However, if the Lakers would also accept Eisley, that might change things. The extra $6.4 million in cap room could attract at least two more decent role-playing FAs. The Suns wouldn't be much good in 2004-05, but with the MLE next year, who knows after that?

It would be a small window of opportunity, but it might be their best chance. You can't plan for "the future" forever.

cly2tw

Reaction score
It's better than the proposed/rumored Dallas offer of Dirk and Walker for Shaq. Anyway, if they insist on including JJ, they ought to give us Rush who'd be redundant for them anyway. And with so much talent they already received, they should take Eisley also, allowing us the chance to acquire some FAs. How much cap space would we have? Good enough for Bowen at 3mil, Barry at 4-5, Dice at 2mil?
Then the team is

C - O'Neal/Voskuhl
PF - Stoudemire/Dice
SF - Cabarkapa/Bowen
SG - Rush/Jacobsen
PG - Barry/Barbosa/??

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Then the team is

C - O'Neal/Voskuhl
PF - Stoudemire/?
SF - Cabarkapa/?
SG - Vujanic/Jacobsen
PG - Barbosa/Eisley

I don't like the look of that at all. If the Suns could get O'Neal more cheaply, it might be worth considering, but I don't see that happening.

We don't agree often, Eric, but that lineup makes me physically sick to my stomach.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Realistically, the team that trades for Shaq has to have two things:

1. They need to be well over the cap, because that's the only way they can trade away $30m worth of decent contracts and still have a team; and

2. they need to be ready to compete for a title right now, even after they trade away $30m of decent contracts for Shaq--because Shaq isn't getting any better as he gets older.

That doesn't sound like the Suns to me.

My guess is that this is like when D'Antoni said the Suns would have a winning record after the All-Star break--it's more a statement of intention (hey, call us if you're looking to deal!) than a prediction of how things are actually going to turn out.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Right, I wasn't trying to imply that the Suns were actively pursuing O'Neal. I don't think they are. I'm just surprised he didn't say something like, "Shaq is a great player, and you never say never, but I don't think that's the direction our team is looking right now."

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Right, I wasn't trying to imply that the Suns were actively pursuing O'Neal. I don't think they are. I'm just surprised he didn't say something like, "Shaq is a great player, and you never say never, but I don't think that's the direction our team is looking right now."

What, and eliminate a topic for our discussion boards! :wave:

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Colangelo should learn a very valuable lesson in his DBack acquistion of Sexson. Trade away 4 good players for an excellent player and watch your hopes and money go down the drain in a second.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05