O'Neal asks for trade

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1824691

It's probably just posturing. Kupchak made it sound like Bryant was a higher priority than O'Neal, so now O'Neal is throwing a hissy fit. Not to pat myself on the back or anything, but I did predict after the Spurs series that O'Neal trade rumors would swirl all summer.

I'm warming up to my idea with Portland: O'Neal for Randolph, Abdur-Rahim, Ratliff, and Woods.

Lakers:
Ratliff
Randolph
Abdur-Rahim
Bryant
Fisher

Blazers:
O'Neal
MLE addition or D. Davis
Miles
D. Anderson or MLE addition
Stoudamire

Both are playoff teams, although neither is an immediate championship contender.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just to clarify: I'm pretty confident O'Neal will not be traded. But in the unlikely event that he is, that Portland proposal strikes me as somewhat realistic.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am confused.

Why the heck would Portland do that?

Blazers would be insane to give up a young stud and 2 borderline allstar veterans for Shaq who is on the decline and has only a couple of good years left in him, has a questionable motivation and desire and wants an 120M$ 3yrs extension or something like that.

If Kobe made certain that he would stay in LA if they can trade Shaq and they can actually pull it off I would offer Shawn Marion, Howard Eisley and our capspace for Shaq probably.

PG- Barbosa
SG- Johnson
SF- Smith
PF- Amare
C -Shaq

Or something like that.

And Shaq couldn't win with Kobe and Payton. Why would he come even close to winning a championship now with Stoudamire, Dale Davis, Darius Miles and Derek Anderson??!?

Last edited:
OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If Kobe made certain that he would stay in LA if they can trade Shaq and they can actually pull it off I would offer Shawn Marion, Howard Eisley and our capspace for Shaq probably.

And the Lakers would laugh heartily before hanging up on you.

The Blazers don't want Abdur-Rahim -- they've made that abundantly clear. And Ratliff (age 31) is no spring chicken himself. So the main pieces that Portland gives up are Randolph and Woods -- a good young talent (which will be essential in any O'Neal trade) and an appealing prospect.

No one is going to get O'Neal without giving up a lot. The question is finding a team that can afford to do it and still have a decent core in place.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Portland definately doesn't have a decent core left in place after it. And no I don't see any team giving up a young stud for Shaq.

Shaq isn't worth his contract at all anyway.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Portland definately doesn't have a decent core left in place after it.

You don't think that's a playoff team?

And no I don't see any team giving up a young stud for Shaq.

Then a trade absolutely will not happen. The Lakers aren't going to trade him for someone like Shawn Marion. Absolutely no freaking way.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
If Shaq goes anywhere, it's back to his hometown.

Orlando has what the Lakers want: Draft picks.

You're not going to get equal value player-wise, so the Laker's will want some picks.

Shaq and McGrady. A good fit. However, that honeymoon will only last for a couple years, before Shaq gets fat or T-Mac slips a disc.

Let the speculation begin!

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Since the Blazers are the only team in the NBA with $30 million in expiring contracts, I'm not sure why they would need to give up their young core of talent, too. The Blazers have first-hand experience in how valuable an expiring contract can be.

I think Ratliff, SAR and Darius Miles would be more than fair.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Orlando can't put together a trade for Shaq that is even close to realistic.

I doubt LA wants Grant Hill, Juwan Howard, Emeka Okafor, Pat Garrity....

And since the Lakers will definately not take Grant Hill , it is impossible for Orlando to put together the salaries.

That would be pretty impossible.

Orlando trades: PF Juwan Howard (17.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 35.5 minutes)
PF Drew Gooden (11.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 27.0 minutes)
PF Pat Garrity (1.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 11.0 minutes)
C Andrew DeClercq (3.2 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.6 apg in 17.1 minutes)
SG DeShawn Stevenson (11.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.0 apg in 30.5 minutes)
PG Tyronn Lue (10.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.2 apg in 30.7 minutes)
SG Reece Gaines (1.8 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 9.6 minutes)
SG Keith Bogans (6.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 24.5 minutes)
SG Zaur Pachulia (6.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 24.5 minutes)
Orlando receives: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -41.8 ppg, -18.0 rpg, and -9.9 apg.

L.A. Lakers trades: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
L.A. Lakers receives: PF Juwan Howard (17.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 81 games)
PF Drew Gooden (11.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 79 games)
PF Pat Garrity (1.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 2 games)
C Andrew DeClercq (3.2 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.6 apg in 71 games)
SG DeShawn Stevenson (11.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.0 apg in 80 games)
PG Tyronn Lue (10.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.2 apg in 76 games)
SG Reece Gaines (1.8 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 38 games)
SG Keith Bogans (6.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 73 games)
SG Zaur Pachulia (6.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 73 games)
Change in team outlook: +41.8 ppg, +18.0 rpg, and +9.9 apg.

TRADE DECLINED

Due to L.A. Lakers and Orlando being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Lakers and Orlando had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did not happen here (only L.A. Lakers met the condition). This trade does not satisfy the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

What I wouldn't want to happen is Orlando trading Hill and TMac for Shaq. That would probably take away our Kobe and TMac options...

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The problem with a Magic trade is there's no way to make it work under the cap, unless McGrady or Hill is included. Of course the Lakers will not take Hill.

Is an O'Neal/McGrady swap possible? The Magic would probably have to include Howard and their #1, but it's not unthinkable.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Luckily it doesn't make much sense for the Magic. They need to trade TMac for something to rebuild. Not Shaq who would probably get them to the playoffs IF he is healthy for the next 2-3 years before he is done but they wouldn't even be close to contending.
They would be absolutely mediocre.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I agree that's not a very appealing trade for the Magic. Frankly, some of the rumored Phoenix offers for McGrady would probably be better for them.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
What about the "art" of the 3-way trade which would let Orlando keep T-Mac?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
In a 3 way trade Orlando would still have to get incredible value for Grant Hill or any of their scrubs to make it any different for the Lakers.

Impossible..

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
slinslin said:
In a 3 way trade Orlando would still have to get incredible value for Grant Hill or any of their scrubs to make it any different for the Lakers.

Impossible..

"Orlando is the place that has the first overall pick to dangle, the place that has tons more No. 1s stockpiled to give up, the place Shaq still owns a home in.

And Orlando is the only place that makes sense. Orlando is the place that has the first overall pick to dangle, and a ton of other No. 1 picks to add to the package. Orlando is the place that has huge contracts to send back to make the deal work, like Grant Hill's and Juwan Howard's. Orlando is the place Shaq still owns a home, and if Shaq comes, trust me, Tracy McGrady will rescind his trade request. This is the trade that Shaq wants.

Read it and weep Slin! ;) I don't know if ESPN knows what they are talking about, I am just posting it here! :)

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There is no way that O'Neal gets traded to Orlando without McGrady being included. I don't care what ESPN says.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What do draft picks count as compensation for salary when making a trade? They have to have some salary value, don't they? They mentioned several picks, plau you always get your proverbial throw-ins! Don't they get 10% leeway, too? :shrug:

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
What do draft picks count as compensation for salary when making a trade? They have to have some salary value, don't they? They mentioned several picks, plau you always get your proverbial throw-ins! Don't they get 10% leeway, too?

I can never remember whether it's 10% or 15%, but yes, there is leeway.

Draft picks have zero salary value in a trade. However, if a first-round player is not yet signed (but has been drafted), and his rights are traded, his salary value is 100% of the scale contract for his draft position. (In fact, picks usually sign for the maximum 120% of the scale contract.) For the #1 pick next week, I believe that's about $4 million.

So one of the Magic's two big contracts (Hill or McGrady) plus Okafor would still leave the Magic roughly $10 million short.

That's not really the point, though. Do you think the Lakers are going to deal O'Neal away for Okafor and bad contracts? Not a chance in hell. McGrady has to be included for reasons of talent, not salary.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
What do draft picks count as compensation for salary when making a trade? They have to have some salary value, don't they? They mentioned several picks, plau you always get your proverbial throw-ins! Don't they get 10% leeway, too?

I can never remember whether it's 10% or 15%, but yes, there is leeway.

Draft picks have zero salary value in a trade. However, if a first-round player is not yet signed (but has been drafted), and his rights are traded, his salary value is 100% of the scale contract for his draft position. (In fact, picks usually sign for the maximum 120% of the scale contract.) For the #1 pick next week, I believe that's about $4 million.

So one of the Magic's two big contracts (Hill or McGrady) plus Okafor would still leave the Magic roughly $10 million short.

That's not really the point, though. Do you think the Lakers are going to deal O'Neal away for Okafor and bad contracts? Not a chance in hell. McGrady has to be included for reasons of talent, not salary.

Yes. First they NEED a replacement for Shaq. They will want to get rid of Shaq after all. Okafor is young, just like Kobe, so now you have two young pieces on the Lakers to build with! That would be really appealing. Howard is a good power forward, I mention him because ESPN says he would have to be part of the trade. They could eat Hill's contract in the meanwhile, and if he contributes fine, but he also has a legit chance of being out of that contract due to injury. ;) Throw in the picks, and now you are talking! ;) That's assuming they make the salaries work! :) That seems like the biggest IF!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Throw in the picks, and now you are talking! ;) That's assuming they make the salaries work! :) That seems like the biggest IF!

That's where a third team, with cap space, can step in and eat up some of the difference--for a price.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
That's where a third team, with cap space, can step in and eat up some of the difference--for a price.

Maybe that's where the trade picks come in? LA won't have any players. They throw in their pick or picks, too? I don't know where to look up player's salaries. I could have sworn I read somewhere Shaq's salary is ONLY $26 million, NOT the 30-35 Million everyone is claiming. Also, I don't know what Howard's and Hill's salaries are since ESPN says that works. I need some help with a source on this. NBA.com doesn't seem to have this info. :hulk:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
[%, but yes, there is leeway.

The unsigned draft picks do count against your cap but don't count in trades.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Hoopshype.com has player salaries which are usually (not always) right.

Next year:
O'Neal $29.5 million
McGrady and Hill $14.5 each
Howard $5.4

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The unsigned draft picks do count against your cap but don't count in trades.

Oops, right. That's not the first time I've made that mistake. Thanks for the correction.