O'Neal asks for trade

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Here's another way to look at it.

The Suns can basically send 3 young second tier All Stars to LA for Shaq.

Shawn Marion

The #7 which could be a first tier Star if the Lakers choose wisely.

$15 million in relief, basically the going rate for an All Star these days.

In this day of capoligy this is more than anybody has given up for one palyer in years.

I don't care what anybody says about Shaq, if he came here the SUns would win 50 games next year and be a threat to go to the finals with no one dominate team in the west to stop them. Here's why:

1. Shaq will be motivated like he hasn't been in years.
2. Shaq and Amare would be better than Robinson Duncan. I can't think of a team that has ever put to power players the likes of Amare and Shaq on the floor at the same time.
3. JJ could be the perfect point forward/guard to feed the monsters.
4. Our remaining cast would still be better than the Spurs that won their first championship.

That's as close to a perfect post as I have seen on this baord in a long time! :clap: I also disagree with the earlier assertion by another poster that it wouldn't improve attendance that much! You can seriously say THAT with a straight face! Like I said, Shaq is as close to a household name in sports these days to people who don't even follow sports. When Barkley came here, I was amazed at ALL the people who SUDDENLY LIKED basketball in AZ! I guarantee season ticket sales WILL go up the minute Shaq is announced as a Sun. I have NEVER seen as much Suns stuff all over AZ as when he first came here. Shaq would bring the buzz back to AWA. Listen to sports radio the day they announce it! Watch the news. It would be the topic du jour for months! The Emmit mania would be nothing compared to the Shaq mania that would hit Phoenix. Everyone knew Emmit wouldn't make the Cards win a championship, yet they went crazy over him. Imagine a player like that who has a chance to bring a title to the Suns! I totally disagree attendence would only see a short term spike! PUH-LEEZ! :D

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yuma said:
That's as close to a perfect post as I have seen on this baord in a long time! :clap: I also disagree with the earlier assertion by another poster that it wouldn't improve attendance that much! You can seriously say THAT with a straight face! Like I said, Shaq is as close to a household name in sports these days to people who don't even follow sports. When Barkley came here, I was amazed at ALL the people who SUDDENLY LIKED basketball in AZ! I guarantee season ticket sales WILL go up the minute Shaq is announced as a Sun. I have NEVER seen as much Suns stuff all over AZ as when he first came here. Shaq would bring the buzz back to AWA. Listen to sports radio the day they announce it! Watch the news. It would be the topic du jour for months! The Emmit mania would be nothing compared to the Shaq mania that would hit Phoenix. Everyone knew Emmit wouldn't make the Cards win a championship, yet they went crazy over him. Imagine a player like that who has a chance to bring a title to the Suns! I totally disagree attendence would only see a short term spike! PUH-LEEZ! :D

5. Shaq would score a hundred everytime we play the Lakers which clinches the deal for me all by itself.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Here's another thing.

Shaq said earlier this year, "I've seen the future of the NBA and his name is Amare..." It's also a known fact that Amare idolizes Shaq.

I would think that Shaq would welcome the opportunity to co-star with a player that actually respects him and his game.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Shaquille O'Neal on the Phoenix Suns is a misguided fantasy. Get used to it.

Thank you. At least we are not arguing in this thread also. :)

You guys also are conveniently leaving out the negative parts of that trade.

1. Howard Eiseley. You honestly telling me that the Phoenix Suns probably would not be able to get rid of him with the #7 draft pick, but the Lakers would just take him in this trade? At best of those two pieces of the trade cancel themselves out.

2. The trade exception does not give the Lakers that much money in free agency. It means that they can use the exception in a trade sign our ale. Essentially they could probably get a good player with a contract that some team wants to get rid of.

3. Already considering the #7 draft pick a future All-Star borderline absurd. Sure, there is the potential that it will be an All-Star player, but historically it's probably more likely it will be a bust than an All-Star player.

4. Shaquille O'Neal and Amare Stoudemire are hardly a duo that complement each other perfectly. Neither of them has a very good game outside of 10 feet from the basket. They both operate in the same space. The Phoenix Suns would be a better team for sure, but I don't believe they would be championship material. You never know though.

Joe Mama

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Shaquille O'Neal on the Phoenix Suns is a misguided fantasy. Get used to it.

Its very possible that getting Shaq may turn out to be a more realistic fantasy than getting Kobe.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Basically all the Suns have to do is call Kupchak and say, "You can have any combination of players and picks you want as long as it doesn't include Amare or JJ."

I'm no expert but there has to be a combo that works under the cap. I even had the thought that including White might benefit the Lakers in some way, maybe the Lakers could trade White and their #27 to Charlotte for the trade exception. I can't remember the exact details but you can only trade so many picks. The Lakers might want to keep White too since losing Shaq would leave a huge whole in the middle.

As this whole Shaq situation moves forward we will all see that Shaq will have more say about where he goes than anybody and hes gonna want to play for a team that will have the best shot at winning after the trade is completed.

I don't know if that's the Suns but we do have an excellent track record for being a quality franchise and the fact that the SUns just got an infusion of money via their new owners can't hurt.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
2 more reasons the Suns have a shot:

1. Shaq is really mad right now because he was lied to by Buss. Colangelo has a fantastic reputation for being honest and taking care of his players. The Suns may be changing hands but Jerry is supposed to still be a part of managment for years.

2. Once the Lakers officially commit to Kobe Shaq holds all the cards. If Shaq doesn't approve a trade no team will take him and if Shaq stays in LA for the upcoming season it could get REALLY ugly.

1 reason the Suns may not have a shot:

Shaq's first priority may be getting a HUGE pay day after next season. He may insist on a trade to either the Mavs or Blazers, 2 teams with super rich owners that might be willing to pay him $35-40 million a year. I can't see how the Suns could ever afford that.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Basically all the Suns have to do is call Kupchak and say, "You can have any combination of players and picks you want as long as it doesn't include Amare or JJ."
I have a better idea: let’s all dive into a swimming pool filled with double-edged razor blades.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Like I said: A fantasy.

There is NO way that Shaquille O'Neal will be a member of the Phoenix Suns. No way. No how. No matter how much you try to justify it and come up with great "reasons" for it, it will NEVER happen. Ever.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Like I said: A fantasy.

There is NO way that Shaquille O'Neal will be a member of the Phoenix Suns. No way. No how. No matter how much you try to justify it and come up with great "reasons" for it, it will NEVER happen. Ever.

I basically agree, Chap, but you are going to catch some serious flak. :)

Joe

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, one thing about Chap, you have to give him props for sticking to his guns that Kobe would not be in a Suns uniform next season. He was right about that, I believe. Therefore you cannot discount his assertion Shaq will not be here. I think Shaq has a better chance of being here than Kobe ever had. That being said, no way can you outgun that billionaire in Dallas. He could offer Shaq ownership, a job, a plane, whatever Shaq wanted after his career was over. If I had to bet on a team right now, I would say Dallas. I would put us as high as 2-3 on the list, however. That's just based on cap space, we have young guys who aren't paid much and that's what you almost have to have with Shaq's salary, plus I just have a gut feeling we would be ranked ahead of other cap free places like Atlanta, etc. Couple that with the C's desire to win sooner rather than later, and that Shaq would retire about when our guys needed to reup salary-wise, and it could work.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Shaq would retire about when our guys needed to reup salary-wise, and it could work.
Oh, great.

Marion has about 10 quality years ahead of him. JJ likewise. The #7 pick has his whole career ahead of him. You think it’s rational to trade all of that for one or two years of Shaq leading us to the first round of the playoffs? You think that’s the kind of legacy the C’s want to leave?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
capologist said:
Oh, great.

Marion has about 10 quality years ahead of him. JJ likewise. The #7 pick has his whole career ahead of him. You think it’s rational to trade all of that for one or two years of Shaq leading us to the first round of the playoffs? You think that’s the kind of legacy the C’s want to leave?

It sounds like you and I are the only guys who don't want Marion traded. However, I am not discounting 40 years of Collangelo frustration at NOT winning it all. Guys can get really desperate when the light at the end of the tunnel is glaring! Look at Malone taking a small salary in LA. I think if the Collangeloes weighed their cahnces and thought that Shaq honestly brought them the best chance of winning a championship, then they would go for it. I don't know their thinking, but I am NOT taking that possibility off the table. When we see who is in uniform next season, then I will believe it. I just see guys saying there's NO WAY, and they don't have ANY idea what's in management's heads! ;)

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I dont want JJ, Shawn or the number 7 pick traded.

Unless it brought us Kobe or Tmac (not using all pieces of course).

Just like Cap says, Shawn has a good 10 years ahead of him, as does JJ. Of course Kobe and McGrady do to (but presumebly MUCH better years).

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
Yuma said:
I think if the Collangeloes weighed their cahnces and thought that Shaq honestly brought them the best chance of winning a championship, then they would go for it.
I think it’s pretty obvious that the team resulting from the proposed trade would not win the championship.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
capologist said:
I think it’s pretty obvious that the team resulting from the proposed trade would not win the championship.
The Lakers won with Kobe, Shaq, and the Shaquettes! If we got to keep JJ, let's say, then you are telling me Amare, JJ, Shaq, Zarko, Lampe, Barbosa, etc. couldn't win a Championship? I am not at all in belief that we HAVE to give up JJ. Or any particular player for that matter. They may want Lampe. I have no idea since WE are making up trades and nothing has been proposed in rumor by the media or officially. Mitch may be looking more for picks to build around Kobe.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
It sounds like you and I are the only guys who don't want Marion traded.

I could be wrong, but I don't think cap has ever said he is opposed to trading Shawn Marion. He just doesn't think it's a good idea to trade him and others for Shaquille O'Neal at this point. I agree.

Joe Mama

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
Yuma said:
you are telling me Amare, JJ, Shaq, Zarko, Lampe, Barbosa, etc. couldn't win a Championship?
Yes. That team would not win the championship.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
capologist said:
Yes. That team would not win the championship.

It would all depend on how dedicated Shaq was.

I believe that if Shaq got his weight down a little and was totally focused and commited the sky's the limit.

If Shaq is traded he will probably be more focused than he's been in years just to rub it in the Lakers face.

And for the people that say Shaq would only play a couple of years for the Suns and we'd be back at the drawing board.

1. We'd still have one of the leagues best players in Amare and a bunch of cap room to sign free agents when he retires.

2. If you have a chance to jump into the elite you do it. Its been 10 years since the Suns even made the conference finals. If you have a chance to win now you do it. Most teams that are building for the future seem to really have no future.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
No. No matter how angry he may be at the Lakers for having the gall to choose Kobe Bryant over him, he won’t win it the championship by himself.

Amare has a great future, and a not-so-bad present, but he’s still a very inexperienced player with a lot to learn. Zarko, Leandro, and Maciej haven’t proven anything yet. Neither, for that matter, has Mike D’Antoni. Don’t even think of comparing this to the Lakers team that won three of the last five championships. It can’t even be compared to the pre-Jackson Lakers teams that Shaq played on. It would easily be the worst team that Shaq has played on in ten years.