OT: 10 Questions for David Stern

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stern said:
Why would you let the Seattle SuperSonics relocate to Oklahoma City? You're moving away from an Asian-Pacific community to a much less diverse place. Can you explain your logic? —John Holm, Budapest

I guess my logic is that there are plenty of franchises that have jumping-off points to Asia. It could be the Bay Area; it could be Portland; it could be Los Angeles. And our Asian philosophy is more about being there. We have offices in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing.

Many commentators openly allege that star players get favorable treatment from referees. Why has there been so little response from the NBA to this problem? —Madison Welch, Arlington, Va.

The criticism is not true. We have data to demonstrate that superstars don't get that treatment. I've just been hesitant to hold a press conference to announce the obvious.

Wow, can you be anymore smug?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that's about as smug as you can get. Incredible.

I really despise that man.

I actually don't mind the move to Seattle. But the answer to that question was mindboggling. He just showed himself to be an ass, without answering the question at all.

HooverDam

Reaction score
David Stern a piece of crap on the highest level. He's just a sleeze bag and I really can't stand him. He completely misdiagnosis the problems the league has and comes up with 'solutions' that no one wants or needs (i.e. the dress code) while allowing awful crap to happen, i.e. the Seattle move, the Amare suspension, etc.

I hope next year when the All Star Game is in Phoenix that he's booed until his ear drums bleed.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Where do you recommend instead?

I know this question wasn't asked of me, but I'd like to chime in.

First off, the Sonics should stay in Seattle. Its a great NBA city with a lot of history, and moving them would be like having the Suns taken away from us, I can't imagine how that must feel.

I think the LA Clippers should go back to San Diego. They'll always be the little brother in LA, and San Diego is one of the top 10 biggest cities in the country, very affluent, and could certainly support a team (especially since they currently only have baseball and football and there's a pretty good size break in between those two seasons that the NBA would fill).

I too think New Orleans is a bad fit, but because of Katrina I can't imagine the team moving any time soon. Really though, even before Katrina that team was struggling there.

Oklahoma City already showed they can probably support a team (and they have no pro sports, so that would make it a good fit), and its the 45th largest Metro Area (New Orleans is 50th), and growing.

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Las Vegas are all large metro areas that are currently w/ out an NBA team that may be good destinations. Though Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are rust belt cities that probably won't grow much more, and they have a lot of other teams already. I'd love to see a team in Vegas, but there's obviously certain hurdles that have to be overcome there.

The Inland Empire (Riverside, San Bernadino, etc) is the 14th largest Metro area (just behind the Valley of the Sun) and has no major pro teams. I suppose most people there are Lakers fans, and California does already have 4 teams, but in the future, I'd be surprised if they don't get a team from one of the major leagues.

I've always thought St. Louis would be a good NBA town. Though I've never lived there.

I lived in St Louis for 4 years during college, I do not think it would be a good NBA town. The city is alternating between shrinking in size every year or just being stagnant. They already have 3 pro teams, I think their plate is full for a metro area of their size.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I live in St. Louis and I think there would be a market for an NBA team. Plus then, I shell out thousands to get as close to the Suns bench as possible when they play here.

Plus I have NEVER been to a basketball game...

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
I know this question wasn't asked of me, but I'd like to chime in.

First off, the Sonics should stay in Seattle. Its a great NBA city with a lot of history, and moving them would be like having the Suns taken away from us, I can't imagine how that must feel.

I think the LA Clippers should go back to San Diego. They'll always be the little brother in LA, and San Diego is one of the top 10 biggest cities in the country, very affluent, and could certainly support a team (especially since they currently only have baseball and football and there's a pretty good size break in between those two seasons that the NBA would fill).

I too think New Orleans is a bad fit, but because of Katrina I can't imagine the team moving any time soon. Really though, even before Katrina that team was struggling there.

Oklahoma City already showed they can probably support a team (and they have no pro sports, so that would make it a good fit), and its the 45th largest Metro Area (New Orleans is 50th), and growing.

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Las Vegas are all large metro areas that are currently w/ out an NBA team that may be good destinations. Though Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are rust belt cities that probably won't grow much more, and they have a lot of other teams already. I'd love to see a team in Vegas, but there's obviously certain hurdles that have to be overcome there.

The Inland Empire (Riverside, San Bernadino, etc) is the 14th largest Metro area (just behind the Valley of the Sun) and has no major pro teams. I suppose most people there are Lakers fans, and California does already have 4 teams, but in the future, I'd be surprised if they don't get a team from one of the major leagues.

I lived in St Louis for 4 years during college, I do not think it would be a good NBA town. The city is alternating between shrinking in size every year or just being stagnant. They already have 3 pro teams, I think their plate is full for a metro area of their size.

Good stuff. I agree that the Sonics should stay in Seattle. In fact, when the NBA is ready to expand again, I'll bet they get a shot. Isn't that the league modus operandi? Desperate city loses team to unworthy city only to get an expansion franchise a few years later?

It does look like Las Vegas would be an obvious choice for a lot of reasons. I can't see the NBA going to San Bernardino though. Why not Tucson?

And yes, the Clippers should move back to San Diego.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Good stuff. I agree that the Sonics should stay in Seattle. In fact, when the NBA is ready to expand again, I'll bet they get a shot. Isn't that the league modus operandi? Desperate city loses team to unworthy city only to get an expansion franchise a few years later?

It does look like Las Vegas would be an obvious choice for a lot of reasons. I can't see the NBA going to San Bernardino though. Why not Tucson?

And yes, the Clippers should move back to San Diego.

Tucson would be a HORRIBLE idea. Tucson can't support a AAA baseball team, there's no way they can support an NBA team. For whatever reason (there was an article on it not too long ago, that Ill try to find it) Tucson has never been a great supporter out of sports other than the UA.

I doubt the NBA would go to San Bernadino or anywhere in the Inland Empire, but I think eventually SOME league will do it. Maybe when the NFL finally decides to go to LA, itll be the Inland Empire? Who knows.

I do hope that if the Sonics move (and it looks like they will) that the city of Seattle gets to keep the Sonics name, colors, logos, etc. like how Cleveland did with the Browns. The "Oklahoma City Sonics" sounds silly, that name is very unique and equally tied in with that cities image as "Suns" is to us.

I live in St. Louis and I think there would be a market for an NBA team. Plus then, I shell out thousands to get as close to the Suns bench as possible when they play here.

Plus I have NEVER been to a basketball game...

Hm, I just didn't get that basketball vibe when I was there. The city isn't growing, is middle pretty middle income and is plenty saturated with the Blues, Cardinals and Rams. I'd think that Kansas City, which is slightly smaller, but only has 2 teams (Royals, Chiefs) and they just built the great new Sprint Center. Plus KC is known for very rabid and loyal fans (not that StL isn't).

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Tucson would be a HORRIBLE idea. Tucson can't support a AAA baseball team, there's no way they can support an NBA team. For whatever reason (there was an article on it not too long ago, that Ill try to find it) Tucson has never been a great supporter out of sports other than the UA.

I doubt the NBA would go to San Bernadino or anywhere in the Inland Empire, but I think eventually SOME league will do it. Maybe when the NFL finally decides to go to LA, itll be the Inland Empire? Who knows.

I do hope that if the Sonics move (and it looks like they will) that the city of Seattle gets to keep the Sonics name, colors, logos, etc. like how Cleveland did with the Browns. The "Oklahoma City Sonics" sounds silly, that name is very unique and equally tied in with that cities image as "Suns" is to us.

Hm, I just didn't get that basketball vibe when I was there. The city isn't growing, is middle pretty middle income and is plenty saturated with the Blues, Cardinals and Rams. I'd think that Kansas City, which is slightly smaller, but only has 2 teams (Royals, Chiefs) and they just built the great new Sprint Center. Plus KC is known for very rabid and loyal fans (not that StL isn't).

San Bernardino or Riverside would be the exact same thing as Tucson.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
How has being the commissioner of the NBA affected your personal life?Raphael Katz, New York City
Early on, it affected my ride on the train, because everyone had a solution that they wanted to propose to me. Over the years SCREWING OVER THE SUNS, it's effected my ability to go places AROUND PHOENIX privately. It's very FUN BEING KING intense, it takes away from other TEAM'S CHANCES aspects. It is difficult, to a certain measure, for kids and spouses to TAKE ME SERIOUSLY deal with celebrity, in terms of the MONEY demands it makes YOU RICH on you and the absence of LOGIC privacy.

They left out a couple of important parts which I put in BOLD

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
No one thought the Rams were going to be successful here, and from that first game in STL, they were the talk of the town. STL has enough revenue to support an NBA team, it hasn't had one since the Hawks YEARS ago. If given the opportunity, a team can flourish here...

HooverDam

Reaction score
San Bernardino or Riverside would be the exact same thing as Tucson.

Is it? I don't know much about the geography/culture of SoCal. I sort of assumed so, so thats why I didn't think the NBA would put a team there. I don't know how landlocked LA is, but maybe if the NFL decided to put a team in SoCal it would put it in a more Inland Empire type place.

No one thought the Rams were going to be successful here, and from that first game in STL, they were the talk of the town. STL has enough revenue to support an NBA team, it hasn't had one since the Hawks YEARS ago. If given the opportunity, a team can flourish here...

St Louis had 856,796 people in 1950, today it has 348,189. Obviously, a lot of that population has moved out of St Louis proper (which is fairly small, land wise) and moved into the 'county', however the area just isn't really growing. St Louis, like a lot of other rust belt cities, is losing population as the populous continues to move South and West to the Sun Belt. I just think it would be a big risk for the NBA to move a team to a city that already has 3 teams, and isn't a growing market.

Furthermore, St Louis has no recent history of supporting basketball. Its not as if SLU hoops is a huge draw, though perhaps thats an unfair analogy since St Louis doesn't have a major college nearer to it than Mizzou which is 2 hours away.

Also note: I hope you don't think I'm knocking StL. I loved my time there, and if I couldn't live in Phoenix, I'd definitely live in St Louis.