OT: Aaron Hernandez found to have "SEVERE CTE"

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cte is the scapegoat but there is psychology involved with those suicides as well.

dudes spend their entire lives being superstars, living large and being "important"..
suddenly they are just another dude, nobody wants to pay them to come to an event and many of them are broke. Lots of these guys cannot handle life once they are no longer "special"... I had a buddy that spent years trying to get past that aspect of it.
I lost you there. I don't see NBA players offing themselves lik football players.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think they have any real case against the NFL in this situation. Even if you could prove the point that the CTE led directly to his actions, which is far from easy, it would still be nearly impossible to say how much of his CTE came from the NFL and how much came from the games he played prior to getting in the NFL or any other head injuries he might have received along the way. The lawyers are probably going to make a bunch out of this case though.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there a link? Probably and more and more parents will take note. And, yet, there are notable exceptions: Jake Lamotta just died at 95 and George Chuvalo, who could take a punch had 93 pro fights, is over 80, has a reported IQ of 140 and writes books.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All this makes me wonder how many people that never played sports have this too? They need to compare the average Joe to these athletes brains.

I agree I I have evey CPT symptom and have severe post concussuon Syndrome ive had tons of concussions. played tons of sports up to my late 30s. But 2 years ago a freeway accident, left me with a permenant concussion PCS is nooo joke it makes everyday a struggle and my mood swings and temper our erratic now. I am aware of it, I have extreme flows of enotions now. Lights sound concentration sleep are all hard now and struggles

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the game. With that said it takes a different person to play football. Should we be surprised that so many of these guys have problems off the field? All of these things people are saying factor in. Yeah they get away with a lot because they are "special"

Do we need to keep opening their brains? 21/22 is a telling stat.

Some are capable of walking away from the game and being normal in their daily actions. That does not mean they too don't have problems that we do not know about. Even today there is unknown with mental illness. But pretending it does not exist and in turn accelerated through trauma? Well I got nothing. This NFL leadership lost my respect over this topic. If they don't care about their own players I know they don't care about player conduct.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All this makes me wonder how many people that never played sports have this too? They need to compare the average Joe to these athletes brains.
They have....there's no CTE in people who didn't play sports like football...soccer (heading the ball -it's a lot harder on the head than you think).
There is CLEAR evidence that hitting your head hard is very damaging long term.
This is just one of the main reasons I'll never let my son play tackle football.f

I coach football and talk to many people who've played either high school and/or college ball. When they're in their late 30's and early 40's their bodies are BROKEN DOWN! Many of them, that I've spoken to, have aches and pains directly related to playing football...and those are their words...not mine.

As a coach I see kids in 7th grade who are 6'2'' and 280lbs that can MOVE going against kids 5'2 and 95lbs. In high school the kids are HUGE AND FAST. All it takes is one kid, needing to show off for mommy, does a late hit on your kid and knocks them out...or takes their knees out....and what do you in the family get...a 15 yard penalty....and your kid in crutches for the next 6-8 weeks.

I enjoy coaching the sport...and one of my main jobs is to teach fundamentals (a ton) so that we can minimize injury risk.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but suing the league? Give me a break. The players all knew that they taking a risk when they started playing football at a young age.
Not when they started out in Pee Wee league. Flag football until high school.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mean after all the information came out. There were a couple of guys that retired early, most notably Calvin Johnson but most of the young guys see the fame and fortune and feel it outweighs the risk. Old school players I understand a little bit but commsense that getting your bell rung on a constant basis could not be good for your long term health. Back then money wasn't the main reason for them playing, they could have made the same money being something else, hell most had second jobs in the off season to make ends meet.

I guess then, my next question would be: Does having your bell rung on a constant basis, have a lasting effect on your "common sense?" My guess is that it does.

For the record, I'm not defending Hernandez' actions.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart: “We are reviewing the (Hernandez) lawsuit. On first blush, we believe it contains significant legal issues.”

Not sure how you sue the NFL. Kids start playing football at a young age and damage is done along the way. If the NFL is lying about evidence/knowledge...they could get in trouble.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree I I have evey CPT symptom and have severe post concussuon Syndrome ive had tons of concussions. played tons of sports up to my late 30s. But 2 years ago a freeway accident, left me with a permenant concussion PCS is nooo joke it makes everyday a struggle and my mood swings and temper our erratic now. I am aware of it, I have extreme flows of enotions now. Lights sound concentration sleep are all hard now and struggles

that sucks dude. hopefully with advances in medicine, these symptoms can eventually be treated, but sorry to hear what you're going through. chronic problems of any type can be really physically and emotionally debilitating (I've been there with my back), but chronic issues inside your old noggin has to be one of the worst to deal with.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Not when they started out in Pee Wee league. Flag football until high school.

Then that should be the league that is sued. If fomer players sued the pee wee leagues then all the sudden no more pee wee problems, but that will never happen no money to be made there.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Then that should be the league that is sued. If fomer players sued the pee wee leagues then all the sudden no more pee wee problems, but that will never happen no money to be made there.
would be hilarious to see a judge award them... fitty bucks and tirty tree cent..

pee wee leagues couldnt pay any more than that

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's what insurance is for and given the cost, more and more minor football operations, including high schools, are dropping football.

How funny is that?

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
That's what insurance is for and given the cost, more and more minor football operations, including high schools, are dropping football.

How funny is that?

Where in anything did I say any of it was funny. It's ridiculous that the NFL gets sued for any of it. Pee Wee level is the only level these players don't realize the risk give me a break. When I played in high school I realized there was a risk, that's why I had no ambition to play college even with a couple scholarships If these players haven't figured out or this is the only option to change their situation in life why act like they are victims they are making choices.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05