OT: Cowboys cry about Vikings late TD

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Feeling a little blue after our season ended? I know I was but the Cowboys loss and this subsequent crying by Brookings made my whole day better.

:biglaugh:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...row-late-TD-in-blowout-Brookin?urn=nfl,214068

Did the Minnesota Vikings run up the score on the Dallas Cowboys in Sunday's NFC divisional playoff? Keith Brooking(notes) thinks so. A late Brett Favre(notes) touchdown pass infuriated the Dallas linebacker, who charged over to the Vikings' sideline to voice his displeasure. And in his postgame press conference he didn't back down.
The Vikings had held a comfortable 27-3 lead since the early part of the fourth quarter. Dallas looked completely deflated after going down 24 points and the team's subsequent play did nothing to dispel that notion. On the Cowboys' next two possessions the team went four-and-out, gaining a mere 14 yards on eight plays.
After the second turnover on downs, Minnesota took over on Dallas' 37-yard line. With 5:26 remaining and the Vikes holding a nearly insurmountable lead, runs to milk the clock were expected. But after an Adrian Peterson run on first down, Favre hit Bernard Berrian(notes) for 19 yards on the next play. Two Peterson runs followed, before Favre threw a short three-yard pass to bring up fourth-and-three after the two minute warning.
Here, the Vikes had four choices: 1. They could take a knee and give Dallas the ball back for the game's final two minutes; 2. Wave a partial white flag and run the ball up the middle; 3. Kick a field goal (which also could have been percevied as running up the score); 4. Drop Favre back to attempt a pass.
Minnesota went with option No. 4 and Favre hit tight end Visanthe Shiancoe(notes) for an 11-yard touchdown. This choice did not go over well with Brooking. The Cowboys' linebacker, presumably upset because he felt Minnesota was running up the score, stormed over to the Vikings sideline and exchanged words with coaches and players, including Favre. He had yet to calm down after the game:
"I thought it was totally classless and disrespectful. This is the NFL, that's not what this is about. I don't think there's a place for that ... I was looking for [Vikings coach Brad] Childress. I didn't think it was right, but they've got to see us next year."
Brooking needs to relax and listen to his own words.
He's right. This is the NFL, not high school or college. The Dallas Cowboys don't get sympathy. Throwing that pass may not have been the greatest sportsmanship, but it also wasn't an affront to decency. If Brooking didn't want Minnesota to score then maybe he and his 10 teammates on the field should have done something about it.
Just because the Cowboys quit doesn't mean the Vikings needed to also.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
"I thought it was totally classless and disrespectful. This is the NFL, that's not what this is about. I don't think there's a place for that ... I was looking for [Vikings coach Brad] Childress. I didn't think it was right, but they've got to see us next year."

You're right it IS the NFL not the YAFL. Someone call the WAAAmbulance.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Nothing worse than a team getting their ass whipped and then whining that the other team didn't stop whipping their ass...

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
exactly. If you don't like it, stop it. If you can't stop it, it's not them making you look bad, it's your lack of execution and possibly inferior talent making you look bad. I'm not whining for the Saints rolling 45 on us Saturday. If they can do it, and we can't stop them, they have possession of the ball, they can do what they want with it. They have 4 downs to do whatever they want. That's the game.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Terry Bradshaw and The Cowboys. That kind of stuff is BUSH league. It was Bush league when Saban/Alabama just did it last week in the Title game and it is bush league in the NFL.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Throwing it in the endzone on 4th down with under 5 minutes to go, up 27-3, is pretty lame. I'm 100% certain most of you would be bitching if the same thing happened against the Cardinals.

There was no reason to throw it in the endzone at that point during the game. Pretty classless IMO. Dallas had plenty of opportunities to rub it in against the Eagles last weekend but held back.

But hey, at least Favre got his 4 TD's. :bigyawn:

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Throwing it in the endzone on 4th down with under 5 minutes to go, up 27-3, is pretty lame. I'm 100% certain most of you would be bitching if the same thing happened against the Cardinals.

There was no reason to throw it in the endzone at that point during the game. Pretty classless IMO. Dallas had plenty of opportunities to rub it in against the Eagles last weekend but held back.

But hey, at least Favre got his 4 TD's. :bigyawn:

Actually I wouldn't be complaining at all. Getting beat by 24 is just as bad as getting beat by 31.

And just for those of you calling this "bush league" It's COMPLETELY notable that the Cowboys sent an ALL-OUT-BLITZ on this play. Google yourself up a replay if you didn't see it live. From what I saw live, it looked almost like Brett saw what was coming, said screw you guys, and checked out into the pass play that scored the last TD.

If the Cowboys are so classy and the game was over, why are they still blitzing?

In other words, quit crying. "Bush league?" Do me a favor brookings, Cry me a river, I'll build you a bridge so that you can get the **** over it.... Thanks for playing.

The Cowboys D still had every intention of hitting Brett Favre in the mouth, so why shouldn't Brett Favre have every intention of stickin another TD down their throat? Answer me that?

Last edited:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I wouldn't be complaining at all. Getting beat by 24 is just as bad as getting beat by 31.

And just for those of you calling this "bush league" It's COMPLETELY notable that the Cowboys sent an ALL-OUT-BLITZ on this play. Google yourself up a replay if you didn't see it live. From what I saw live, it looked almost like Brett saw what was coming, said screw you guys, and checked out into the pass play that scored the last TD.

If the Cowboys are so classy and the game was over, why are they still blitzing?

In other words, quit crying. "Bush league?" Do me a favor brookings, Cry me a river, I'll build you a bridge so that you can get the **** over it.... Thanks for playing.

The Cowboys D still had every intention of hitting Brett Favre in the mouth, so why shouldn't Brett Favre have every intention of stickin another TD down their throat? Answer me that?

Considering the the Viking made it crystal clear that they weren't trying to run out the clock I have ZERO problem with them trying to Blitz and get pressure and "hit Favre in the mouth" as you say.

I'm quite certain had the Vikings showed some class instead of that bush league display the blitzes wouldn't have come.

Shows a complete lack of class anyway you slice. I would even go as far to say that Favre shouldn't even be in the game at that point.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could never be a player or a coach in the NFL. I'd want to score a TD every chance I could - regardless of the score.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate Brett Favre and child molester Childress, but I hate the cowboys more, so the scoring i well deserved. Wade Phillips should join Norve Turner and take their pathetic asses to bermuda and never return.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i don't feel bad for the Cowboys at all. They're professional athletes.I'm sure once they cash their playoff checks all will be forgotten. I woldn't acre if someone did it to the Cards either. If you don't like it stop them. It's not like it' some high school girls bball game where there can be a huge disparity in talent level and one team could run up the score at will. It's 2 playoff teams. Next time knock Favre on his ass and that will stop it.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
If it was anyone but the Cowpies I would agree it was bush league. To me Jerry Jones has been trying to get the league to change the rules to benefit the Cowpies since he became owner and what he did with Landry was bush league. That being said Rice looked much like Fitz did last year in the playoffs. Completely covered and still makes the catch.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I agree with Terry Bradshaw and The Cowboys. That kind of stuff is BUSH league. It was Bush league when Saban/Alabama just did it last week in the Title game and it is bush league in the NFL.

Agreed, I also though what the saints did was bush. Not going for it on fourth down, but running a play designed to fake out the D and score a TD. Run it up the middle on fourth down, if you get the first down or a TD well power to ya. But to throw it or run an end around is rubbing it an yoiur face...IMO!

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
regardless of teams --

I think throwing a pass there is a cheap call.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn the Favre simply called his own play in the huddle to pad his stats.

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would even go as far to say that Favre shouldn't even be in the game at that point.

Now THAT we can agree on 100%. All of these coaches have lost their minds as far as protecting their players when the game is over.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
It's not so much that they scored a TD as that they extended the game by taking an endzone shot instead of going for an easy first down. You extend a game in that situation you are just increases the chances for someone to get hurt when it is meaningless. One of these days a team is going to do this then on the kickoff lose a player for the season.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall some Cards fans angry that the Saints went for it on 4th late...they picked up the fourth down and ran out the clock.

This was different. The Vikings could have simply ran for the first down, and then knelt out the clock (classy thing to do). Instead, they gunned for TD or nothing, and left the 2 minutes on the clock. Blatant attempt to run up the score.

Yes, I say you can't bitch if you can't stop 'em, but I also think it's classless and bush league to pile on when you can simply end the game without scoring more.

If they wanted points with no intention of running time off the clock, they should have just kicked the FG. Going for the TD with 2 minutes to go and a 24 point lead really is asshattery.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall some Cards fans angry that the Saints went for it on 4th late...they picked up the fourth down and ran out the clock.

This was different. The Vikings could have simply ran for the first down, and then knelt out the clock (classy thing to do). Instead, they gunned for TD or nothing, and left the 2 minutes on the clock. Blatant attempt to run up the score.

Yes, I say you can't bitch if you can't stop 'em, but I also think it's classless and bush league to pile on when you can simply end the game without scoring more.

If they wanted points with no intention of running time off the clock, they should have just kicked the FG. Going for the TD with 2 minutes to go and a 24 point lead really is asshattery.

Thank you!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its against the Cowgirls so I thought it was funny! Listening to all the talking heads all week running on and on about the Cowgirls are the team to beat I am glad the Vikes took them to the wood shed!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
i don't mind keith brooking one bit. he is a leader and i like his passion. i've seen plenty of other players like teddy bruschi and joey porter take this stance in the past and not take this type of heat. the fact is the star gets piled on because fans either love them or hate them. it's not like the cards when they get beat....outside of AZ no one cares.

now wade phillips???? he needs shot his pie hole because the past 2 weeks he left tony romo and his starters in the game late when it was over! that is down right hypocracy... keith brooking is a player and I don't mind him at all! those are the guys i want representing the cowboys.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When we beat the Cowboys in that 98 playoff game I was screaming at the TV to punch it in (we were 1st & goal at the 2 yd line after an intererception) Instead we knelt on it to run out the clock. First game against them in Dallas the next year they beat us 44-7. Lot of good it did to show them some class.Sorry if I don't feel sorry for them.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
If it was anyone but the Cowpies I would agree it was bush league. To me Jerry Jones has been trying to get the league to change the rules to benefit the Cowpies since he became owner and what he did with Landry was bush league. That being said Rice looked much like Fitz did last year in the playoffs. Completely covered and still makes the catch.
what he did to landry led to the rebirth of the cowboys! thanks jerry! RIP tom landry!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
When we beat the Cowboys in that 98 playoff game I was screaming at the TV to punch it in (we were 1st & goal at the 2 yd line after an intererception) Instead we knelt on it to run out the clock. First game against them in Dallas the next year they beat us 44-7. Lot of good it did to show them some class.Sorry if I don't feel sorry for them.
no one should feel sorry for dallas. they are won of the best teams in the history of the sport. this was just a emotional leader of the team standing up. and I don't mind that at all. should he have done it? no he's wrong. but i like his passion and it makes for a great motivational tool for next season.

pointNumberOne

Registered
Reaction score
Considering the the Viking made it crystal clear that they weren't trying to run out the clock...

I'm not sure what game you were watching at that point... Prior to the TD, the Vikes only called runs up the middle and two *very* short *very* high % passes to keep the clock moving. It's not the Vikings fault that the 'Boys couldn't tackle turning those short passes into longer plays.

On the TD play: There were three receivers running routes. 1.) FB in the flat just short of the first down 2.) Greg Lewis dragging from right to left just past the first down marker and 3.) shiancoe in the end zone

If the Cowboys wanted the clock to run out, they should have given up the first down rather than cover the short routes and leave the TE in the endzone as the only option.