OT: Falcons admit pumping fake fan noise into the dome

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Manufactured by people yelling, clapping, etc

The league has checked out Seattle many times over the past 30 year. ..... It just gets loud

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so whats a bigger problem, this or air pressure?

In any one game probably the crowd noise. The question is also one of scale, if the Pats were doing the ball trick every game they were cheating in twice as many games as Atlanta was. If they were doing it since 2007, which is quite possible, that's a ton more games.

The NFL has an interesting offseason here they have right now 3 teams that appear to have cheated and need to be hit. My guess is they will hit Cleveland and Atlanta harder than deserved, and NE lighter than deserved because if they nail NE, everyone will then say they should forfeit the Super Bowl.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it the Colts were tipped off by the Ravens. If true then the deflation "strategy" must have been employed previously as well and was not a well kept secret.

According to published reports several teams had complained to the NFL that's why when someone noticed it in the Colts game, they started checking the balls.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to published reports several teams had complained to the NFL that's why when someone noticed it in the Colts game, they started checking the balls.

After the game. If it was such an issue wouldn't it make more sense for Pagano to tell the officials to check the ball before each Patriot possession? This, to me, sounds like sour grapes from a sore loser.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The final score was 45-7. Brady could have been throwing a wet sponge out there and the outcome wouldn't have been any different.

It is still a big deal - even had the Colts won the game.

Breaking the rules to try and gain an unfair advantage should have consequences regardless of whether the rule breaking results in a win or a loss.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is still a big deal - even had the Colts won the game.

Breaking the rules to try and gain an unfair advantage should have consequences regardless of whether the rule breaking results in a win or a loss.
My point, as stated above, is if this were suspected for a while, why wait until after you get smoked to complain to the league? Why not during the game or before it? Even after the INT the game went on as usual. Now it's an issue? Again, smells of sour grapes.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any cheating should get harsh penalties. If it's harsh enough, maybe it'll actually modify behavior. Yes, take away draft picks, but also take away cap space. Make the team pay a fine that gets reduced from their cap, then send it out equally to the other teams, and add it to their caps. Take away the right to host a playoff game as well as your opportunity to get a first round bye. Won your division? Too bad you cheated last year. Now, one wild card team will get to host instead.

Make it stiff enough, and teams will follow the rules.

Anything now no one will care. They still got to play in and win the Super Bowl. Suspend Bellichick and/or Brady won't matter a bit. Can't unring the bell, as they say. This won't even tarnish their legacy with the exception of the haters.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the game. If it was such an issue wouldn't it make more sense for Pagano to tell the officials to check the ball before each Patriot possession? This, to me, sounds like sour grapes from a sore loser.

They checked all the balls at halftime of the game, the 2nd half was played with properly inflated balls.

THere are mixed reports but ESPN says Pagano didn't complain during the game, there were several teams who had told the NFL what the Pats were doing, the Colts were presumed to be one of them tipped off by the Ravens. John Harbaugh denies tipping off the Colts, said he had no issue with the balls in their game against the pats.

the story has changed so many times I don't know but I had heard that Luck was tipped off by friends on the Ravens, and Luck told the refs early in the game and they have video of them throwing one of the Pats balls to an official to take and check for inflation. I've since read Luck was not involved at all so who knows.

But no they did not complain after the game, if they complained at all, it was before the game.

I really think people are missing the forest for the trees here, that one game is not the big complaint with "deflate gate" it's that there is now tons of data out there that suggests the Patriots lack of fumbles since the rule change allowing teams to bring their own footballs was enacted is WAY out there in terms of percentage of plays to fumbles. Nobody else is even close.

There are many possible reasons, the Pats are incredibly good at coaching players not to fumble, the Pats target players who don't fumble, they are just incredibly lucky since 2007, or they are deflating the footballs because it makes it easier for their players to hold the ball and not fumble.

I don't know how much detail they've gone into, Blount for example seems to have a similar fumble rate as a patriot and not a patriot, but he really hasn't had the ball that much.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point, as stated above, is if this were suspected for a while, why wait until after you get smoked to complain to the league? Why not during the game or before it? Even after the INT the game went on as usual. Now it's an issue? Again, smells of sour grapes.

The Colts' general manager reportedly questioned some of the balls being used in the game during the 2nd quarter of the game.

Ryan Grigson tipped NFL off to deflated balls in Patriots-Colts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...d-nfl-off-to-deflated-balls-in-patriots-colts

-------------------------------------

This was not a case of sour grapes. So sick of people piling on the Colts when it was the Patriots who were cheating. Ridiculous.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Investigate Seattle as well.

As much as I would like to agree, I have heard their fans 2 years in a row and how much noise they make even when they aren't anywhere close to filling the stadium. I think the rumors of Seattle doing it are just that: rumors.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Its bad, and they need to be punished;

But how refreshing is it for someone to actually just admit they've been caught and step up?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But how refreshing is it for someone to actually just admit they've been caught and step up?

That was my first thought when I heard they had admitted to pumping in crowd noise.

Very refreshing. Very rare these days.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hm. I think that at the end of the draft, they basically just re-load the draft order if they have more compensatory selections available than they do "deserving" teams (i.e., those who lost more players in free agency than signed).

This makes sense, but this the NFL.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They checked all the balls at halftime of the game, the 2nd half was played with properly inflated balls.

We can stop right here then. The halftime score was 17-7. If what you say is true and the 2nd half was played with properly inflated balls, then the underinflated balls hurt the Pats because they outscored Indy 28-0 in the 2nd half so this hate is unfounded.

I really think people are missing the forest for the trees here, that one game is not the big complaint with "deflate gate" it's that there is now tons of data out there that suggests the Patriots lack of fumbles since the rule change allowing teams to bring their own footballs was enacted is WAY out there in terms of percentage of plays to fumbles. Nobody else is even close.

I believe the Vikings fumbled only 11 times and lost only 2 fumbles all season and led the league in both categories. Does that mean they were cheating as well? In fact, here are the fewest fumbles leaders by team and where the Pats finished in that category:

2014-Vikings: 11(2)
2013-Panthers: 12(24)
2012-Falcons: 9(7)
2011-Saints: 6(3)
2010-Patriots: 9
2009-Colts: 11(4)
2008-Panthers: 12(4)
2007-Colts/Patriots: 14

And looking at the lists, the Colts were more often than not in the top 5 so were they cheating? No, this is pure hate coming out.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Keep it up other teams! Between the Pats, Browns, and Falcons, a lot of teams might be losing draft picks this year for cheating. So that means we will have better quality choices, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05