OT: Haley's coaching performance was embarrassing

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haley’s coaching performance was embarrassing
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star
Let’s hope Todd Haley spent Sunday night standing in front of a mirror, screaming at himself.

If he holds himself to the same standards as his players, he might be on the waiver wire this morning.

His coaching display Sunday afternoon against the Oakland Raiders was an embarrassment, as bad as anything I’ve seen in the NFL.

Losing at home to these Raiders on a day when JaMarcus Russell unseated Ryan Leaf as the most ill-prepared quarterback in league history required a special level of coaching incompetence — a combination of arrogance, flawed logic and lack of self-control rarely seen on network TV.

If 22 players off the street can win two NFL games, there were 70,000 people inside Arrowhead Stadium who could have done a better job than Scott Ego-li’s handpicked coach.

In a 13-10 loss, the Haley-led Chiefs squandered a chip-shot field-goal attempt in the final seconds of the first half with a no-timeouts-left, 1-yard pass in the flat to Dantrell Savage. Time expired before the refs could re-spot the ball for the next play.

In a 13-10 loss, the Haley-led Chiefs dropped back to pass on third and 1 in the final 43 seconds of the game and in possession of all three of their timeouts. The Raiders sacked Matt Cassel, setting up the game-deciding fourth-and-4 play the Chiefs would not convert.

In a 13-10 loss, the Haley-led Chiefs were flagged for nine penalties, including a critical late-hit infraction on Oakland’s game-winning TD drive. They turned the ball over twice and failed to down a perfect punt inside the 5 despite six Chiefs circling the ball.

The Chiefs melted down Sunday. They were a reflection of their head coach, who ranted and raved after every error — except his own.

“We’re going to have a smart team here,” Haley promised after the game. “Nine penalties and a couple of those things don’t reflect a smart team.”

Uh, Todd, did you coach smart on Sunday?

“How the half ended, I’d say no,” Haley acknowledged. “I’m the leader of this football team, and when you have the ball in an area where you can score points and you don’t get the points, it’s all going to fall on me. So, I’d say no.”

How about the end of the game, Todd — why not run for the first down and use one of your three timeouts?

“I won’t get into specifics, but the play called had a running back in a situation where, to me, it appeared to me as good as a run, a chance to get the ball into the running back’s hands.”

What game was Haley watching?

Based on what we saw from Cassel, there was no reason to have confidence in his decision-making. The ineptitude of Cassel’s play — two horrible interceptions and two horrible sacks — was only slightly masked by JaMarcus Russell’s Leaflike effort.

The truth is, Russell’s performance illustrates just how bad Haley’s Chiefs are. Russell and the Raiders picked up the victory completing seven of 24 passes for 109 yards, racking up 11 first downs and 166 total yards.

The Raiders played dead, and won.

How?

Many of you don’t understand why the tone of my columns about the Chiefs has been so negative after I initially campaigned for Scott Pioli’s hiring and identified Haley as Pioli’s likely head coach.

The amount of arrogance from Pioli directed toward the media and the unwarranted, know-it-all arrogance Haley directs toward his players make King Carl Peterson look as humble and down-to-earth as Lamar Hunt.

The arrogance is toxic and counterproductive to winning. It’s not confidence. It’s a couple of blowhards drunk on their newfound power.

They’re so caught up in establishing all the little “intangibles” they think create a winning environment that they’ve lost sight of the fact that players win football games — not head coaches or general managers.

Do you realize how arrogant you have to be to hold a brutal offseason program and training camp, play a game and then sign Bobby Wade off the street on Tuesday and make him your go-to receiver on Sunday because you’re trying to prove a point to Dwayne Bowe and Mark Bradley?

Bobby Wade isn’t emotionally or physically invested in the Chiefs and the program Ego-li and Haley allegedly implemented. But Wade was KC’s leading receiver and punt-return man on Sunday. Bradley rode the bench, I can only assume, because he failed to pick up a first down last week in Baltimore.

Will Haley sit down next week?

His lack of composure and suspect play-calling cost the Chiefs a game against the worst team in football.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is going to be quickly on the hot seat. His temper may work as an OC but not as a Head Coach.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I lived in KC for a couple of years. Some of those fans are completelty nuts. Hanging effigys of the kicker who missed a game winning field goal.

chickenhead

Reaction score
The formula that Pioli/Haley are using is a risky one, and one that has backfired outside of NE and Pittsburgh. It can work wonders, but it doesn't work everywhere and every time.

seesred

Reaction score
This is only his first year as a HC. I think as new players are added next year will be a lot better. He is a nut job however.

GBR

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently this Whitlock guy is worried about one guy - himself.

Of those "horrid" mistakes Haley supposedly made, obviously the playcall which resulted in no field goal attempt can be put on Haley. The rest is just fluff to back up his obvious hatred of Haley and Pioli. Plenty of teams pass on 3rd and 1, and pick up 9 penalties. This is a young team that sucked last year. What are they expecting?

Then toward the end of the article, he starts talking about... himself. And what he thought the Chiefs should do.

Self-promoting hack is what I am reading in that article by Whitlock.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Running out of time for a field goal was horrible, that was on Haley, although here he explained that the guy should have dropped the ball.

I think the lesson there is you try for the endzone and that's all you try for, otherwise don't bother and kick it.

Matt Cassel also got sacked and taken out of field goal range another time, stupid decision on his part.

Overall it's going to take time but they ran the ball well, it's just a mistake prone bunch.

My wife is a big fan, drove her nuts, she came down screaming that she was blaming me, that the Chiefs now play just like the Cardinals did, it's the Cardinal coaches.... I laughed and then felt sorry for her.

Clancy did his part, his defense that was nails all day, coughed up a late TD drive out of nowhere just like old times.

anks106

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently this Whitlock guy is worried about one guy - himself.

Of those "horrid" mistakes Haley supposedly made, obviously the playcall which resulted in no field goal attempt can be put on Haley. The rest is just fluff to back up his obvious hatred of Haley and Pioli. Plenty of teams pass on 3rd and 1, and pick up 9 penalties. This is a young team that sucked last year. What are they expecting?

Then toward the end of the article, he starts talking about... himself. And what he thought the Chiefs should do.

Self-promoting hack is what I am reading in that article by Whitlock.

I don't even think that playcall is on Haley, receivers went to the endzone, Cassel has to know on the field he has 14 seconds left, no timeouts, and that he can't dump it off to the flat unless the back has daylight and blockers.. Cassel makes a bad decision, and the blame is placed on Haley. Cassel makes a better decision, they can kick the fieldgoal.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Haley is from the Parcells' school of coaching. The problem is Haley doesn't have the charisma or the approach that Parcells had. While Parcells would rip into his players quite frequently, he developed rapports with them during the week. He seemed to genuinely care about them as people. Just ask Pepper Johnson.

Haley could get away with being a hard-ass as an assistant coach, but he's not going to be able to get away with it in KC as a head coach, or anywhere else for that matter. Today's athletes won't play for a coach like that. The will play for a coach who will motivate them through his knowledge of the game and his understanding of what the players have to go through week after week. Haley wasn't an ex-NFL player...not that that entirely matters, but it often helps that a coach shows an understanding of his players and work with them to do what's best for the team.

What every coach needs is leadership from key players. The head coach can't be the only leader on the sidelines and he can't stand in the huddles.

And what every coach needs to learn is how to pick his spots as to when he can rip into his team and when he should not...otherwise the players just start tuning the coach out. These players are getting paid to do what they do whether they win or lose. What a good coach has to do is find ways to motivate them to win...and screaming at them consistently will not work. Strong preparation and developing leadership in the players will.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Haley needs to fire Clancy and a year more to draft some players.

He'll be just fine, also Matt Cassel was / is hurt and rusty, they have played competitive games both times.

What you don't see in the write ups is that Haley is not just a hardass, he also gets tremendously excited for players when they do the right thing, he's not above patting them on the back when they do well.

He's going to be a good coach, the Chiefs have a ton of problems, they lack a lot, he'll win some games this year, about 4 or so and next year I'd guess 8-8 then the playoffs.

Mitch

Reaction score
Good point Conrad about the fact that Haley does get excited for players when they do well...and this, right now, is what he probably needs to do more of.

The arrogance that Jason Whitlock is referring to starts with GM Scott Paoli, who has scorned the media...and, quite frankly, there's a strong perception around the league---whether justified or not---that the Patriots' management and their affiliates such as Paoli, Mangini, McDaniels, etc. think thier dung don't stink and that hey are above it all, smarter than everyone else (except when they get caught cheating) and that because they are smarter than everyone else they are wasting their time trying to talk sense to the media and the fans.

This arrogance toward the media also has trickled down to the players...seen a week ago when Tom Brady, even after a stunning comeback win, tried to shun Suzie Kolber as she tried to interview him following the game...while having to run along side of him with cameras in tow. It was Monday Night Football for crying out loud. Brady could have had the grace to at least stop for more than one second to answer her questions. After all, these players wouldn't have jobs if it weren't for the TV coverage and the fan interest. The players owe it to the fans to field the questions after the game if the TV crew asks for a quick Q and A. Brady came across---rightly or wrongly--as being disinterested and uncooperative---which combined suggests a certain arrogance.

Have any of you ever watched Bill Belichick's post-game press conferences? They are a joke. He utters the same worn out cliches over and over. Add no real insight. And basically looks completely disinterested. When he has successfully frustrated, non-plussed and ignored all the press, he steps down from the podium. Whenever he loses, he says he got outcoached. But, it comes across as totally disingenuous. When pressed further for reasons why he goes back to his generalizations and vagueness.

The funny thing is...there's one sportscaster here that Belichick likes...his name is Mike Lynch of ABC. Belichick accepts Lynch's invitation each week to be interviewed for a film breakdown of that week's opponent and the previous week's Pats' game tape. On this show, which airs typically at 7:30 on Saturday nights...which means not too many people watch it...Belichick is brilliant at breaking down the tapes. It's a real treat to watch him at work.

Anyway, Haley has the history of the Pats' perceived arrogance working against him in KC. And he is goping to have to get real with the media or he will continue to get roasted by Whitlock and others.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I too was unimpressed by the points being given in the article. All but one of the examples seemed to be player error not coaching error.

While it's true that the Raiders aren't the cream of the NFL crop, they took SD to the wire last week. I think this writer may be too close to the situation. Whether or not Haley eventually works out I don't think you can dump him after two games. One of which was his unproven(outside NE), gimpy kneed QB's first game as a Chief.

Haley has a lot of games left to improve on last year's 2-14 season.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
from what I saw of the game his players failed, not him.

In essence, that's true but if they are disliked by the media - guess what? They will take the opportunity to rip them in print and poor, unsuspecting readers that don't know better will believe them.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, talk about burning a bridge. This Whitlock guy better hope Pioli and Haley don't work out or else he won't be covering the Chiefs anymore. That was a lashing and it was personal at times. Interesting

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In essence, that's true but if they are disliked by the media - guess what? They will take the opportunity to rip them in print and poor, unsuspecting readers that don't know better will believe them.

Not really. When you have a team come into your house and their QB throws for 100 yards for the entire game most of which came on last drive of game. Their leading rusher had 35 yards for the game. Yet you still lose? That's one pathetic coaching performance. With #s like that KC should have blew them out without question. Haley just didnt have his boys ready to play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The exact stuff they said about Tom Coughlin when the Giants hired him.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but those types of personalities tend to not win immediately, they have to weed out all the guys who don't want to play for them, it takes time.

I don't know if he'll be a good coach or not but you can't judge him on this year.

Mitch

Reaction score

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but those types of personalities tend to not win immediately, they have to weed out all the guys who don't want to play for them, it takes time.

I don't know if he'll be a good coach or not but you can't judge him on this year.

Good point. But...TC read the writing on the wall and toned down his approach and started welcoming the players' feedback. This saved his job AND helped him win a Lombardi Trophy.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Good point Conrad about the fact that Haley does get excited for players when they do well...and this, right now, is what he probably needs to do more of.

The arrogance that Jason Whitlock is referring to starts with GM Scott Paoli, who has scorned the media...and, quite frankly, there's a strong perception around the league---whether justified or not---that the Patriots' management and their affiliates such as Paoli, Mangini, McDaniels, etc. think thier dung don't stink and that hey are above it all, smarter than everyone else (except when they get caught cheating) and that because they are smarter than everyone else they are wasting their time trying to talk sense to the media and the fans.

This arrogance toward the media also has trickled down to the players...seen a week ago when Tom Brady, even after a stunning comeback win, tried to shun Suzie Kolber as she tried to interview him following the game...while having to run along side of him with cameras in tow. It was Monday Night Football for crying out loud. Brady could have had the grace to at least stop for more than one second to answer her questions. After all, these players wouldn't have jobs if it weren't for the TV coverage and the fan interest. The players owe it to the fans to field the questions after the game if the TV crew asks for a quick Q and A. Brady came across---rightly or wrongly--as being disinterested and uncooperative---which combined suggests a certain arrogance.

Have any of you ever watched Bill Belichick's post-game press conferences? They are a joke. He utters the same worn out cliches over and over. Add no real insight. And basically looks completely disinterested. When he has successfully frustrated, non-plussed and ignored all the press, he steps down from the podium. Whenever he loses, he says he got outcoached. But, it comes across as totally disingenuous. When pressed further for reasons why he goes back to his generalizations and vagueness.

The funny thing is...there's one sportscaster here that Belichick likes...his name is Mike Lynch of ABC. Belichick accepts Lynch's invitation each week to be interviewed for a film breakdown of that week's opponent and the previous week's Pats' game tape. On this show, which airs typically at 7:30 on Saturday nights...which means not too many people watch it...Belichick is brilliant at breaking down the tapes. It's a real treat to watch him at work.

Anyway, Haley has the history of the Pats' perceived arrogance working against him in KC. And he is goping to have to get real with the media or he will continue to get roasted by Whitlock and others.

I agree a lot that he's perceived as arrogant and to an extent he is, he is also somewhat like Parcells in that he is very demanding.

He plays some games with players, and so a lot of what you said about him is true.

He's just not totally like Parcells, he has the capacity to inspire also, he probably created Fitz as we know him today by driving him to excell.

He's got a lot to learn but the thing about Haley is I think he's smart enough and is actually honest enough to figure it out, a lot of what he's done this year is over the top, new Sherrif in town stuff, it's all part of his learning curve but I really think he'll be a good one, probably about the time he figures out motivation through fear is only one tool in the toolbox.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

He's very limited in what he has to work with, his WR sitation is bad, has to be culture shock.

He shouldn't have hired Clancy, big mistake IMO.

Everyone focused on how inept the offense was but if you saw how horribly inept the Raiders were all day then giving that team a long TD drive to end the game was just awful.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's very limited in what he has to work with, his WR sitation is bad, has to be culture shock.

He shouldn't have hired Clancy, big mistake IMO.

Everyone focused on how inept the offense was but if you saw how horribly inept the Raiders were all day then giving that team a long TD drive to end the game was just awful.

Yeah I saw bits of the game and agree with Whitlock one of the more inept performances by a QB(Russell) I've seen. It reminded me of ages ago when the 49ers QB's were all hurt so Freddie Solomon the WR started at QB. It was fun to watch him run but the passing game was incredibly bad because he couldn't complete anything.

The Raiders are like that with Russell, he looks like he's going to be a colossal bust, great arm but he doesn't appear to be overly concerned in working at his job, he thinks he can just throw the ball hard and doesn't need to bother to keep in shape or study film.

I feel sorry for McFadden and Bush they have an inept QB, rookie WR's and are constantly running against 8 or 9 man fronts now.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Instead of Bobby Wade,maybe Haley should have played Lance Long more. I read somewhere that he had a great combine and was an elite prospect.:D