OT Jets get Barlow

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting, 49ers denied it all week and then traded him to the Jets.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just made Gore and Barlow viable fantay options, BTW, whereas before they were almost undraftable.

ishbin

Rookie
Reaction score
i only see it working for gore. he is going to be a decent #2 & solid #3 (where i drafted him yesterday). barlow's value is the same imo. he will split carries at best. too bad we couldn't have traded shipp to the jets.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ishbin said:
i only see it working for gore. he is going to be a decent #2 & solid #3 (where i drafted him yesterday). barlow's value is the same imo. he will split carries at best. too bad we couldn't have traded shipp to the jets.
Split carries with who? Blaylock? Barlow will easily get the bulk (18-23 carries) of work.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Split carries with who? Blaylock? Barlow will easily get the bulk (18-23 carries) of work.

Barlow getting the majority of carries still won't do much. He's an average back at best running behind a bad line. NYJ have massively overhauled that line. Their current depth chart has 2 rookies, a 3rd year guy (2nd year starting, a 4th year guy (3rd year starting) and Pete Kendall.

RT: Adam Jones
RG: Brandon Moore
C: Nick Mangold
LG: Pete Kendall
LT: D'Brickshaw Ferguson.

I don't see him putting up impressive numbers this year.

ishbin

Rookie
Reaction score
Pariah said:

houston actually with blaylock getting a few. barlow has been done for a couple of years now imo, so even if he get all the carries he isn't worth much.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Rumored to be a third that can conditionally move up to a first based on performance. Good trade for the Niners. It leaves them thin, but Barlow has been horrible other than that great second half a couple of years ago.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Assface said:
Barlow getting the majority of carries still won't do much. He's an average back at best running behind a bad line. NYJ have massively overhauled that line. Their current depth chart has 2 rookies, a 3rd year guy (2nd year starting, a 4th year guy (3rd year starting) and Pete Kendall.

RT: Adam Jones
RG: Brandon Moore
C: Nick Mangold
LG: Pete Kendall
LT: D'Brickshaw Ferguson.

I don't see him putting up impressive numbers this year.

I think Teague will be starting somewhere on that line, possibly at RT.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pariah said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9611101

Yet another trade in the league that reportedly "doesn't do" trades.

Player for player trades are now a little more common but still very rare compared to most sports. This trade was for a draft pick, I still insist the major currency is the Draft pick, not players in the league. How many times have you seen a Star for Star traded, MLB and NBA have many occurences, NFL has Bailey for Portis but not many more examples

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Rumored to be a third that can conditionally move up to a first based on performance. Good trade for the Niners. It leaves them thin, but Barlow has been horrible other than that great second half a couple of years ago.

9ers finally got a chance to dump Barlow. Gore is #1 now. Believe it or not Michael Robinson is #2 and Hicks is #3. A healthy Gore is huge plus. Barlow would never have been content to be #2/3. He gone. He can whine in New York now.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Player for player trades are now a little more common ...
No it's "player for player?" It used to be that just "trades" weren't common.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
9ers finally got a chance to dump Barlow. Gore is #1 now. Believe it or not Michael Robinson is #2 and Hicks is #3. A healthy Gore is huge plus. Barlow would never have been content to be #2/3. He gone. He can whine in New York now.

Do you think the Niner would be interested in Shipp? :)

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:

Wow where did you hear that? Merc says rumored to be mid to late round, if they got a conditional 3rd for Barlow it's a steal, he's too hard to motivate.

I'm a huge gore fan pre injuries he was spectacular and I just love the way he's worked back from all those injuries. That said, I wonder how long he can hold up as the starting RB, even last year he had to have offseason surgery on both shoulders.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:

They claim Hicks is ahead of Robinson but Robinson got a bit more work last night.

So far what I've seen of Robinson he's not really ready, he still looks like a QB running the ball, he doesn't tuck it in tight enough and still runs a bit upright.

Thrilled for Gore, too bad he's been hurt so much in his career.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Wow where did you hear that? Merc says rumored to be mid to late round, if they got a conditional 3rd for Barlow it's a steal, he's too hard to motivate.

I'm a huge gore fan pre injuries he was spectacular and I just love the way he's worked back from all those injuries. That said, I wonder how long he can hold up as the starting RB, even last year he had to have offseason surgery on both shoulders.

From a few of the sites my Niner friend visited, but I would trust the Newspaper over Zealous Niner fans. Plus, this was right after the trade and enough time may not have passed to get god information. Mid to Late round pick make this an insane trade IMO. They are just to thin to start casting off depth. I know new coaches like to have "their guys", but you still have to field NFL talent.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
From a few of the sites my Niner friend visited, but I would trust the Newspaper over Zealous Niner fans. Plus, this was right after the trade and enough time may not have passed to get god information. Mid to Late round pick make this an insane trade IMO. They are just to thin to start casting off depth. I know new coaches like to have "their guys", but you still have to field NFL talent.

This is the actual quote, I guess it says mid round not mid to late.

Barlow was sent to the Jets for an undisclosed 2007 draft pick. It's believed to be a mid-round selection and remains contingent on Barlow passing a physical. New York was in need of a running back as Curtis Martin is battling a knee problem.

I just think Nolan thinks Barlow is lazy and has seen enough. If Barlow had half the guts that Gore did he'd be a 1200+ yard RB every year, he's still big and fast, he just doesn't seem to care.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05