OT LaCava rakes Sarver over the coals

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. It was reported widely at the time that the Suns had to do that deal to cut salary to satisfy the prospective ownershi group.

This is how I remember it as well.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No. It was reported widely at the time that the Suns had to do that deal to cut salary to satisfy the prospective ownershi group.

Only so the previous owners could line their pockets. Googs deal was expiring and the new group regardless of who it was wasn't going to have to worry about it. If they needed a league payout to settle their debts then it was so they could sell the team for more.

The Kings just found a buyer willing to pay off close to 70mil of local debt(plus another 30mil in relocation fees), meanwhile the Suns deal would have fallen through over a few million in league payout and 2 months of Gugliotta's prorated contract?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm just glad someone from the local media (with credibility) stood up for the fans and took a shot at the biggest cancer the Suns have ever experienced.

Christ, I'm seeing the Clippers, a once downtrodden franchise, flourish here in LA all while leaving the other LA team in the dust. Thanks Sarver for making this the bastard team of the West and quite possibly the NBA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only so the previous owners could line their pockets. Googs deal was expiring and the new group regardless of who it was wasn't going to have to worry about it. If they needed a league payout to settle their debts then it was so they could sell the team for more.

The Kings just found a buyer willing to pay off close to 70mil of local debt(plus another 30mil in relocation fees), meanwhile the Suns deal would have fallen through over a few million in league payout and 2 months of Gugliotta's prorated contract?

It's how it was reported but the debts could have been deducted from the final sale, instead the previous owners wanted to cash out.

JC on a radio interview said that one of the conditions of the sale was that the team reduce expenses. It was a requirement given by the new ownership group well a year in advance.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
BTW - I hope people are paying attention to the Kings and their inevitable move to Seattle. Ownership let the team rot from a player/personnel perspective, lost a ton of fans, and couldn't get a stadium built.

With the exception of the stadium nonsense, Sarver is following the Maloof book to a "T." There is no security long-term security that this team will be in PHX in the next five years given the porous state of the franchise and bleak future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JC on a radio interview said that one of the conditions of the sale was that the team reduce expenses. It was a requirement given by the new ownership group well a year in advance.

So Sarver was willing to spend the $401 million valuation to buy the Suns, but only if the team cleared a few million dollars with the league payout? He wouldn't have been willing to buy the team at a lower price to off set those costs?

Either the previous owners were looking to make what they could back or they were complicit with any move that was made. Sarver wasn't the only person they could have sold to.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

That is a boatload of crap and giving Colangelo a free pass for everything is a joke.

He selected Sarver, that alone should be enough to blame him.

He left the franchise in a poor state. Had he not lucked out on Amare in the draft they would have been as bad as they are right now minus future picks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is a boatload of crap and giving Colangelo a free pass for everything is a joke.

He left the franchise in a poor state. Had he not lucked out on Amare in the draft they would have been as bad as they are right now minus future picks.

Joe Johnson and Marion were twice as good as any player on this roster. And their "luck out" on Amare was them drafting the player they had on the top of their draft board. The Colangelo era Suns regularly "lucked out" in the draft... mostly because it wasnt luck, they were very good at drafting.

Saying he left the franchise in a poor state is one of the most stunningly ignorant things to ever come out of your mouth. They had a ton of cap space, THREE stellar young talents and a wealth of draft picks coming over the next few years. The Suns were in SUPERB condition.

Blaming Colangelo for Sarver is a crock of (deleted). It would have taken a telepethist... and possibly a time machine, for Jerry to know how inept Sarver was.

The blame for the state of the team is entirely on Sarver and his grossly inept handling of the front office. He has steadily brought in worse and worse people to run the team and handcuffed them with his own stupidity and financial choices.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Sarver was willing to spend the $401 million valuation to buy the Suns, but only if the team cleared a few million dollars with the league payout? He wouldn't have been willing to buy the team at a lower price to off set those costs?

Either the previous owners were looking to make what they could back or they were complicit with any move that was made. Sarver wasn't the only person they could have sold to.

I don't know all the details only that he specifically said that a condition of the sale was the team trim up expenses. I have no clue if that was before or after the negotiated price. This isn't a unheard of when acquiring something like a new business. Also, he didn't specify what those expenses entailed.

I went through 4 mergers/acquisitions at one of my jobs. Each time in entailed trimming expenses throughout the organization as a condition of the sale.

Oh..and Slin...don't be a tool. How could JC know that Sarver would screw things up this bad? How? DAMN YOU JERRY FOR NOT BEING A PSYCHIC.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Everything in this post is amazingly stupid, so congrats on that.

Phranklin

Reaction score
Everone chill out. This pick isn't getting any better with a good coach holding the reigns. Sarver should have hired an chronic smoking editor from the truck to run things the rest of this season. A little lotto lightning, an apology to Gentry and media session about how it was the biggest mistake of his geriatric phase, and everthing back to normal.

Then sign Dwight and get showered with praises.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05