OT:Marty Fired!!!

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
Wow, I'm not surprised at the firing, I'm surprised at the timing.

You can say that again.
:shock:

Here's a twilight zone for you.

marty plays the rival card with the divisional team most needing coaching experience.

Signs on as Assistant coach/OC for the kid in Oakland. :)

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind hiring Marty as some sort of consultant.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I'll dig through posts several months ago, when Carroll was reportedly on his way HERE that said I thought he'd be the next coach of the Chargers. I didn't think it'd be this year, but................

A few things to look at.

1). It seems like every day there's a new controversy popping up at USC.. If ever there's a time for Carroll to get out with his reputation in tact, it's now. Once this blows up, his hard earned rep may go right down the old flush.

2). Carroll wouldn't have to leave Southern California. The team trains in Carson, if I'm not mistaken has headquarters set up in Carson, and with the Spanos family keeping a very short leash on their San Diego setup, Carroll might not even have to leave his current home. If the Chargers DO move back to LA, which is my prediction, they already have a hell of a marketing chip to build around (Carroll comes back to LA, on the next level.)

3). We've seen he's not capable of doing a total rebuild job in the NFL. With the Chargers, he'd have the pieces already in place for him.. One of the NFL's best defenses.. The best player in the game (LT).. A very promising, young QB.. A good pass catching TE.. Hmmm..

4.) This was NOT a sudden decision, a spur of the moment thing. So, with that said, WHY didn't the Chargers try to keep either Wade Phillips OR Cam Cameron? Here's why.. Carroll's going to get full control, to build his own coaching staff.

5.) One last thing to consider.. The Raiders are ****ing garbage and as unappealing of a job as you could possibly find. HOWEVER, a 31 year old who wasn't considered for any of the COLLEGE vacancies (hell, he wasn't even APPROACHED) gets offered the Raider job and turns it down.. Again, leads me to wonder.. Steve Sarkasian turns the Raider job down, despite being virtually unknown outside of hardcore circles, the Chargers fire Marty.. You do the math.

I'm not saying I have inside info on this, but let's look at the picture here and it all seems pretty obvious which direction the Chargers will go.

Boltpower 21

Reaction score
I'll dig through posts several months ago, when Carroll was reportedly on his way HERE that said I thought he'd be the next coach of the Chargers. I didn't think it'd be this year, but................

A few things to look at.

2). Carroll wouldn't have to leave Southern California. The team trains in Carson, if I'm not mistaken has headquarters set up in Carson, and with the Spanos family keeping a very short leash on their San Diego setup, Carroll might not even have to leave his current home. If the Chargers DO move back to LA, which is my prediction, they already have a hell of a marketing chip to build around (Carroll comes back to LA, on the next level.)

3). We've seen he's not capable of doing a total rebuild job in the NFL. With the Chargers, he'd have the pieces already in place for him.. One of the NFL's best defenses.. The best player in the game (LT).. A very promising, young QB.. A good pass catching TE.. Hmmm..

4.) This was NOT a sudden decision, a spur of the moment thing. So, with that said, WHY didn't the Chargers try to keep either Wade Phillips OR Cam Cameron? Here's why.. Carroll's going to get full control, to build his own coaching staff.

A couple of things: The Chargers are back training in San Diego. The Carson experiment lasted only one year and whether this is just PR moves or not, the Chargers seem commited to find a stadium in San Diego county.

Anyway, on to Carroll. There is no chance he's going to get full control over the Chargers as long as AJ Smith is here. That is the entire reason for the public feud between Marty and AJ.

However, there are a couple of things I heard about Carroll which are interesting. One is that he doesn't desire to have complete control, which would make him a possiblity here then. But the other is that, if he returns to the NFL, the rumor is that he wants to bring Pat Kirwan with him as GM. That would obviously not happen in San Diego. I don't see why he would leave USC except for the explanation that you give that this would be a good time to get out with all the scandals going on.

On to Marty, despite the disappointing playoff loss, there was a lot of pressure to keep Marty for one more year because of the 14-2 record he put up.

Here's where it gets interesting: Cameron was more of a Marty guy than an AJ guy. AJ's guy was Wade Phillips (going back to the Buffalo days) so Cameron was probably not going to get the HC position IMO. According to ESPN, the straw that broke the camel's back was Marty allowing two assistant coaches to interview for coordinator positions against AJ Smith's wishes. Greg Manusky went to SF as DC and Rob Chudinski went to Cleveland as OC.

My theory is that AJ wanted Wade as HC, Manusky as DC and Chudinski as OC but his plans became ruined when they got hired elsewhere as coordinators. When Phillips got hired by Dallas, I'm betting AJ lost it and it finally came down to one of them having to go.

I'm a big Marty fan but if I had to choose between the two, I'd have to go with AJ, though I don't care for the way he does business sometimes (such as in this situation with Marty). I was really hoping that the Chargers could finally get Marty (and us fans!) his (our) elusive Super Bowl ring.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grimm not mentioned in SD coach search ...

Chargers make change at top

February 13
Los Angeles Times (registration required): "Only weeks after assuring Marty Schottenheimer his job was safe, the Chargers fired him Monday, citing his 'dysfunctional' relationship with A.J. Smith, the team's general manager... A possible candidate is USC's Pete Carroll, who interviewed with the Dolphins in January and whose name has come up in connection with other NFL vacancies... Other potential candidates include Ron Rivera, Chicago's defensive coordinator; Mike Martz, Detroit's offensive coordinator, and Jim Mora, the recently fired Atlanta coach."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ACcording to one San Diego writer Marty got fired when he told Smith he wanted to hire his brother Kurt as the new DC. Smith said no, Spanos said no, Marty said his contract gave him control of staff, and they fired him.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As long as they don't hire Denny Green. That would suck as the Chargers happen to be my second favorite team.

I think you should see a shrink to assist you with your "I hate Denny Green" obsession.

Seriously. :D

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I guess the Spanos family is tired of winning.

What a joke...

I am not a Marty fan but you don't fire a man who went 14-2 and two of his top assistants get promoted!

It's obvious that the GM's ego couldn't handle the situation and tried opportunity after opportunity to get rid of Marty...finally, the promotion of asst's was the last straw!

I like SD and LDT but I hope the Chargers go 2-14 next year and the GM is sent packing.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AJ amith in trouble .. ??

A.J. THE NEXT TO G.O.?

Now that Gregg Easterbook of ESPN.com's TMQ has called us out twice in his annual list of bad predictions, we're ready to give him some fodder for next year's edition.

We predict that, after the draft, the Chargers will fire G.M. A.J. Smith.
Here's all the evidence we need. In his carefully-crafted statement from Monday evening, team president Dean Spanos called the relationship between Smith and former coach Marty Schottenheimer "dysfunctional." That's a two-way street, folks, and the fact that Spanos did not exonerate Smith for his role in the dysfunction does not bode well for him, in our view.

So why wasn't he fired now? Because the scouting combine is a fortnight (thanks, T) away, free agency starts in three weeks, and the draft is looming. Our guess is that Spanos will lead Smith to believe that a solid showing in free agency and the draft will save him.

And then after the draft Spanos, we believe, will cut him loose.
Make no mistake about it. The Monday decision from Spanos was his effort to re-assert control over the franchise, and Smith has been part of the problem. He won't be, in our view, part of the solution.