OT: NFL rule, hip, knee and thigh pads

Reaction score
I hated wearing knee pads when I played (way back when); but I was glad to have hip and thigh padding.

Jammer ought to keep quiet. Sure he is entitled to his opinion, but he's not doing himself any favors by making an issue of this; the officials will be certain to check him more closely.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think Johnson and Jammer make some good points:

"The repetitive amount of hits we take, day in and day out -- this, to me, is a PR stunt. ... If you get hit in the legs, you're doing something wrong," Johnson said. "You're either getting cut or standing there. Usually, when guys are aggressive and they're hitting back, the legs aren't usually getting hit."

I agree 100%. This is regarding SOME players not all, BTW.

"You play this game because you want to play this game, and the risks you take are the risks you take," Jammer told the newspaper. "If you don't want to wear hip pads, knee pads or thigh pads, you shouldn't have to. It should be a choice."

Bout time someone said it in the press.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

"The repetitive amount of hits we take, day in and day out -- this, to me, is a PR stunt. ... If you get hit in the legs, you're doing something wrong," Johnson said. "You're either getting cut or standing there. Usually, when guys are aggressive and they're hitting back, the legs aren't usually getting hit."

"You play this game because you want to play this game, and the risks you take are the risks you take," Jammer told the newspaper. "If you don't want to wear hip pads, knee pads or thigh pads, you shouldn't have to. It should be a choice."

So, with Jammer's argument, helmets and shoulder pads should be choice, too? With all of the lawsuits by former and current players against the NFL, due to player safety issues, what do you expect the NFL to do?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I don't think this is a move to protect the legs so much as it is one to protect heads. See: Kolb's concussion against the Niners last season. (I don't know if that knee had padding on it or not, but I think that is more of a driver to this than anything.)

I think they are trying to soften the blows when legs are flopping every which way.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read one thing about the NBA having more leg pads then NFL and also about the leg pad technology these days and dont thinks its as big an issue as the players say it is. If I had the cool compression pad stuff they have today when I played football I would have hated leg padding far less than I did.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
So, with Jammer's argument, helmets and shoulder pads should be choice, too? With all of the lawsuits by former and current players against the NFL, due to player safety issues, what do you expect the NFL to do?

Act professional, and not play tit-for-tat.

If the league really thinks this is the answer to a safer game, then they should be doubly embarrassed for publically displaying such ignorance in regards to the game.

This seems to be a very very petty move by the NFL, and I see it as a very immature, and disrespectful move in regards to a very serious situation which is the current rise in the need for awareness for player safety regarding the sport. Or the long and short of it is, if this is a serious situation, then it should be given serious solutions.

Yet, I believe the lawsuits filed by past players are just as ridiculous. As we have all said, nobody put a gun to these people's heads to play the game, and any player that thought they could play football for a living and not come away injured is a pretty ignorant, and niave person. Cause that is just ridiculous as well.

Both sides, IMO, are playing like they are ignorant in order to try to gain leverage in the up comming lawsuits over injuries suffered via playing football.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't think this is a move to protect the legs so much as it is one to protect heads. See: Kolb's concussion against the Niners last season. (I don't know if that knee had padding on it or not, but I think that is more of a driver to this than anything.)

I think they are trying to soften the blows when legs are flopping every which way.

Now THAT is a good point.

Never thought of that.....then again when I got kneed to the back of my head, I don't remember all the detales, sow gud.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

This is a great point I didn't look at it this way. Make much more sense.

Reaction score

Johnson made a good point; Jammer sounds like an idiot.

I thought the same thought as masterphomeg - using Jammer's logic, all protection should be optional; which is ridiculous.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
plus leroy hill broke the jaw of delanie walker pursuing a run play when his knee caught his helmet

hill wear thigh pads, but nothing on the knee

will be interesting to see how the pads look ..... i'm sure there will be some standardization with the equipment as well

the big player concern will obviously be the feeling that it will slow them down, make them feel constrained with movement, etc

however, I like the move by the league

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is bitter... she said Fitz ass won't look nearly as good with hip pads on.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is clearly the only answer:

You must be registered for see images attach

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I played throughout high school and I couldnt imagine playing without pads on my legs. Id feel so vulnerable.

In order of importance:

Helmet-> shoulder pads -> ass pad -> Hip pads -> knee pads -> quad/thigh pads

doesnt take away from the importance

These guys are getting paid millions. If I were an owner, you bet Id force them to gear up. Risk a season impacting injury over a piece of padding that cost 11c. to make.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree with the emphasis of player safety, and the corresponding lawsuits from former players, what do you expect the league to do? My first thought when I read this was it just became a whole lot safer to tackle a running back low because you can worry less about his kness breaking your collarbone. At some point you have to take safety out of the players hands and force measures to guarantee the long term sustainability of the game. I don't necessarily like it, but I understand the reasoning and need.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read one thing about the NBA having more leg pads then NFL and also about the leg pad technology these days and dont thinks its as big an issue as the players say it is. If I had the cool compression pad stuff they have today when I played football I would have hated leg padding far less than I did.

I know!

I walked into ***** Sporting goods this weekend and saw all of the new compression pad stuff. All I could think of was where was this when I was in school!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Anyone who played back in the day of the single bar face mask remember the clod hopper shoes we had to wear? Turned a 4.8 forty into an 8.8 forty.

Attachments

• riddell-football-shoes.jpg
    riddell-football-shoes.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 62

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why no mandate for mouth guards? A mouth guard isn't there to protect your teeth but to cushion the blow limiting concussions.

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
Why no mandate for mouth guards? A mouth guard isn't there to protect your teeth but to cushion the blow limiting concussions.
Yeah, mouth guards should definitely be mandatory but the players (NFLPA) don't like it since its uncomfortable, hard to breathe with and hard to make audibles with. Kind of dumb reasoning if you ask me but whatever. Most players wear them anyway, I think everyone should have the ones strapped to the facemask, easy to put in and pull out, plus you can't lose it or forget to put it in.