OT: Seahawks release Kellen Winslow

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
A little surprised by this move..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/01/seahawks-release-kellen-winslow/

My favorite part of the article:

The Bucs sent him to Seattle for a seventh-round pick in 2013, which could have upgraded to a sixth-round pick. (In theory, it’s possible that the pick did upgrade, if the condition was Winslow making it onto the final 53-man roster. He accomplished that feat. For less than a day.)

Not sure if true, PFT was just throwing it out there, but LOL if the Hawks converted a 7th rd pick to a 6th round pick for no reason whatsoever.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was mildly worried about this at the time. Historically, the Cards have gotten abused by good TE's. I still have nightmares of that Chargers game where Antonio Gates went off.

So, 1 less thing.

Reaction score
I must say, as a person who attended 3 of the training camp practices that were open to the public, and observed Kellen Winslow with his teammates, and is aware of what this guy can do for a ball club, and as a person who bleeds blue and urine-green, I am shocked and dismayed by this move. Evan Moore? We're banking on Evan Moore now? I was so excited for the potential of a Zack Miller/Kellen Winslow dual attack. And now I'm just left scratching my head. Because... what. is. this?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah - I don't like the move at all, I liked the potential dynamic with winslow, but what is done is done

As for the pick - that was just speculation from that one writer and not one that I've head anywhere else ...... would be a pretty odd bump though, usually it's tied to games, performance, etc

there was also a read (i think from sando) where they said that pending on the conditions seattle may not owe anything since he was never active for a game

at this point I don't think anyone knows the pick situation

OP
OP
gmabel830

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Yeah - I don't like the move at all, I liked the potential dynamic with winslow, but what is done is done

As for the pick - that was just speculation from that one writer and not one that I've head anywhere else ...... would be a pretty odd bump though, usually it's tied to games, performance, etc

there was also a read (i think from sando) where they said that pending on the conditions seattle may not owe anything since he was never active for a game

at this point I don't think anyone knows the pick situation

Agree it is 100% speculation on the pick, and doubt it's true, but would be hilarious if it was!! :D

SeaHawk2001

Reaction score
once we decided to go with a rookie qb, there wouldnt be adequate time for winslow to get his timing down with wilson since he doesnt practice often. Winslow wouldnt take a pay cut, so they showed him the door. At first i was bummed as well, but moore is a monster and can be just as dangerous of a redzone threat. dude is 6'6 250 lbs and althetic. theres also been some speculation that seattle may try to resign winslow at a lower price once he clears waivers and all that. we'll see of course...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Sounds like Winslow has a attitude problem or a personal problem in his private life that threatens the locker room and like many of these secret situations in the NFL, a team does not cite it when they they release a guy and the player surely won't mention it either.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Just a couple updates

It's been confirmed that seattle will not have to provide TB with any compensation for the Winslow trade - which is good news for seattle

They also were able to grab a pick for Tarvaris Jackson and Barrett Ruud this offseason - so all up, not bad.

At first the salary issue didn't make sense, but what I heard which is at least plausible is that it's some future planning

With Moore becoming available they decided to take him and team him with Miller & McCoy to clear Winslow from the cap prior to the season start - this will freeze their cap for the purposes of being able to roll unused cap dollars into the next year

This upcoming offseason is their 1st crack at extending the 2010 draft class (LT Okung, S Thomas & S Chancellor) - so they are trying to keep as much flexibility as possible going into an important offseason

Basically the production of Winslow over Moore wasn't worth the cost of Winslow over Moore in light of what they want to do this coming offseason in retaining key players