OT: Technical question for any DirecTV subscribers

dbcard74

Reaction score
I'm planning on subscribing to DirecTV in a couple of weeks so I can get the NFL Sunday Ticket and watch the Cardinals. I will also want to tape some of the games, but I noticed on the DirecTV web site that the NFL games are on channels 703 to 717. And the regular programming is on channels from 200 to 400.

My question: Since my VCR is only capable of receiving 150 channels, is it possible to tape anything off DirecTV? I've never even heard of a VCR that gets 717 channels.

Can someone with DirecTV tell me how shows can be taped off of it?

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hmm. I would think that can just put your TV on ch 3 or 4 (whichever gets the picture), turn the DirecTV box to the channel of the game, hit record and it'll work.

OP
OP
D

dbcard74

Reaction score
Yes, that sounds possible. It should record whatever's on the screen. If it does, that would work if you were at home to turn it on.

But if you were going to be gone, I wonder how you could set the recorder to record, say, channel 713 if your recorder only goes to 150.

Wildman©

former FOOTBALL Coach
Reaction score
Run your Direct TV tuner through your VCR to your TV. I would guess that you would have to have you VCR tuned to channel 3 or 4 in order to see your Direct TV tuner's channel on your TV. Now it will record the signal from the tuner.

To record when you are away you set your VCR to record channel 3 or 4 (whichever) while leaving your direct TV turner ON the channel you want to record. You also have to leave the Direct TV tuner ON. You can leave the tv off.

Last edited:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best advice I have for you is to get a Dual Tuner DirecTV/TIVO system...

You'll never need, nor want a VCR again :)

Mike

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike

Mike

How do you watch your VHS tapes then, or rent and watch them? :D I know it's a smart-azzed question, but my buddy ran into this problem, and he had to buy a VCR, as opposed to the hundreds of movies he had on VHS on DVD.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
How do you watch your VHS tapes then, or rent and watch them? :D I know it's a smart-azzed question, but my buddy ran into this problem, and he had to buy a VCR, as opposed to the hundreds of movies he had on VHS on DVD.

If your tv has an extra set of RCA input jacks open you can hook the vcr straight into that, the cable (or direcTV) doesn't have to run into it. You just won't be able to record onto the vcr, but with the Tivo system why would you want to?

adam

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
If your tv has an extra set of RCA input jacks open you can hook the vcr straight into that, the cable (or direcTV) doesn't have to run into it. You just won't be able to record onto the vcr, but with the Tivo system why would you want to?

adam

Exactly.

First off, when you buy Tivo, it doesn't mean you have to get rid of your VCR, you can just use it to watch movies with...like Green said, once you have it, why would you want to record with it?

Second, if you're still renting movies on VHS...let me introduce you to the year 2003 and the wonderful world of DVD's :D

Mike

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my technical question. I believe I can get line of sight from my girlfriend's first floor patio but i'm not positive. From looking around there's no clear compass heading that other dishes are at. Directv says line of sight to the southern sky, is there a somewhat distinct heading that I need to be looking at to confirm the tree and nearby condos are not blocking me?

Or do I need to call an install company and have them come out and verify for me that I can indeed get line of sight from the patio? The tree that was in my way last year was severely cut back this year after a windstorm(I swear I didn't have anything to do with it) and i now believe I may be able to use a dish, just want to be sure before I buy the dish and receiver.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score

Mike

Plus, this season TIVO and Sunday Ticket are going to be totally interactive. I haven't heard all of the deatails yet, but one major feature will be that the highlights from all of the Sunday games will be delivered to your TIVO box on monday morning.

:thumbup:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
Here's my technical question. I believe I can get line of sight from my girlfriend's first floor patio but i'm not positive. From looking around there's no clear compass heading that other dishes are at. Directv says line of sight to the southern sky, is there a somewhat distinct heading that I need to be looking at to confirm the tree and nearby condos are not blocking me?

Or do I need to call an install company and have them come out and verify for me that I can indeed get line of sight from the patio? The tree that was in my way last year was severely cut back this year after a windstorm(I swear I didn't have anything to do with it) and i now believe I may be able to use a dish, just want to be sure before I buy the dish and receiver.

Well, you'll probably want to have a Directv guy come out, but for us, it just points pretty much directly south with a slight up angle.

If the tree isn't too thick, I would think it could go through it...I mean, it works fine on a cloudy day, etc., but I could be wrong.

Best bet is to make sure someone can come out.

Maybe try this: If you stand on your patio, and look south at a level parallel to the ground, can you see over the tree? Or do you have to up to see over it?

Mike

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you'll probably want to have a Directv guy come out, but for us, it just points pretty much directly south with a slight up angle.

If the tree isn't too thick, I would think it could go through it...I mean, it works fine on a cloudy day, etc., but I could be wrong.

Best bet is to make sure someone can come out.

Maybe try this: If you stand on your patio, and look south at a level parallel to the ground, can you see over the tree? Or do you have to up to see over it?

Mike

thanks I'll have to try it tonight when I get home. There's a tree and a condo and I'm not entirely sure where the dish needs to look I am hoping it's between the 2 but I'm not certain.

I guess I just need to break down and find a directv install type place that will come out and confirm for me that I can get reception.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
thanks I'll have to try it tonight when I get home. There's a tree and a condo and I'm not entirely sure where the dish needs to look I am hoping it's between the 2 but I'm not certain.

I guess I just need to break down and find a directv install type place that will come out and confirm for me that I can get reception.

If you can, and it will cost more, but look for a place that will give you a Tivo as part of the deal...you just have to get one, you'll never watch TV the same again.

Mike

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaliforniaCard
Plus, this season TIVO and Sunday Ticket are going to be totally interactive. I haven't heard all of the deatails yet, but one major feature will be that the highlights from all of the Sunday games will be delivered to your TIVO box on monday morning.

:thumbup:

Wow...how cool is Tivo?

Mike

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Russ, just one online place:

http://www.americansatellite.com/pr...D=H3FF6G7222370MIFN5BBGHC8U2GIFJTGO&ITEM=1059

Gets you a Tivo system, a satellite, etc. If you want an extra receiver, you might have to add it on.

But trust me, if you watch football, sports, and have some favorite shows, I'd get a Tivo.

Just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that it's a DUAL TUNER Tivo system...do NOT get one with just one Tuner.

BTW, if you do get it, I think you'll have to go buy a Multiswitch at Radio Shack for like $80, which allows you to split a cable line into two.

Or, if you aren't going to have another receiver in the house, both lines coming from the dish could just run to both tuners on the Tivo.

Mike

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, because it's my girlfriend's place I probably won't go for the tivo. She's already got a vcr, tv, dvd, webtv. If I add a satellite dish, tuner and a tv I think she'll break up with me and then I won't have the dish at all (-:

The dish would be demountable so it'd only go out when we wanted to watch satellite tv. My apartment doesn't face South(we live in the same complex) so I've never been able to do it but I think I'll at least get an install expert to check for me if I'm not sure.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DeAnna
I have a better idea: why don't you just move in with her?
;)

hey I've asked. The propose thing is more likely.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Russ, just one online place:

http://www.americansatellite.com/pr...D=H3FF6G7222370MIFN5BBGHC8U2GIFJTGO&ITEM=1059

Gets you a Tivo system, a satellite, etc. If you want an extra receiver, you might have to add it on.

But trust me, if you watch football, sports, and have some favorite shows, I'd get a Tivo.

Just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that it's a DUAL TUNER Tivo system...do NOT get one with just one Tuner.

BTW, if you do get it, I think you'll have to go buy a Multiswitch at Radio Shack for like $80, which allows you to split a cable line into two.

Or, if you aren't going to have another receiver in the house, both lines coming from the dish could just run to both tuners on the Tivo.

Mike

Mike, how much is the Direct TV programming? Do you get local channels?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296
Mike, how much is the Direct TV programming? Do you get local channels?

I think I pay around $45-49 a month...

I believe it's $35 for the regular Total Choice package, $5 for local channels and then $5 for the Tivo service.

Tivo used to cost $10, but they dropped it for some reason. Not sure if new subscribers get that or not.

Mike

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Mike, do you know if they'll let you add the TiVo on "after the fact" since we already have the 2 receivers (that we got thru one of their promotions).

Or do we just have to buy the TiVo at the regular price?

Thnks.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike, do you know if they'll let you add the TiVo on "after the fact" since we already have the 2 receivers (that we got thru one of their promotions).

Thnks.

You can add it anytime you want, but I think you'll have to pay regular price.

Check out Best Buy for Tivo...they might have then for around $199 now, but probably more like $250-299.

The Hughes model is pretty good, that's what we have, but we have an older version...Tivo Series 2 is the ones they sell now.

Mike

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

Thnks.

You can add a Tivo system to anything, but you'll pay the regular price for it, which is either like $11.95 a month or $249 for a lifetime service. The lifetime is for the tivo unit itself, so that's where they get you (if it breaks you're screwed).

adam