OT: Technical question for any DirecTV subscribers

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DirecTV/TIVO

Much truth told here. Recapped:

- You can use a VCR in tandem with a DirecTV receiver by tuning it to channel 3 or 4 - The remote you get with DirecTV "talks" to the receiver and goes all the way up to Channel 999.

- You can use a VCR in tandem with a DirecTV receiver with TIVO in the same way you do with just the receiver - in fact there's an option on the TIVO "record" menu for "downloading" to your VCR.

In fact what you do is record stuff on TIVO where it's preserved on your hard drive. Then record the hard drive stuff to a videocassette in order to free up hard drive space.

- If you (or your significant other) have a DirecTV receiver only and want to upgrade to a combination DirecTV/TIVO unit, it's easy to do it. You just substitute the new unit (including connections) for the other one, contact DirecTV to let them know what you did (you have to register your new smart-card) and activate TIVO - you'll have to either pay a monthly cost or a one-time "life of unit" fee. I believe DirecTV bought out TIVO so you only have to make one phone call to change units and activate TIVO service.

- The line of sight issue is tricky. If it were me, I'd have the satellite dude you're buying it from come out and check it out before purchasing the unit. (Note - Every few years or so, I have to have a tree service come out and "top off" my trees to maintain clear line of site.

- The way TIVO and Sunday ticket would provide you with Monday highlights of Sunday games is that you can schedule any program in advance for recording - either program by program or for as standing instructions. My guess is you'd do the same thing with the Highlights Show.

- One problem with giving standing instructions is that sometimes TIVO has trouble distinguishing between first-run and repeats of the same show. (I tried it with Arizona Sports Report and sometimes had 5 or 6 versions of the same program taking up room on my hard drive and would spend extra time deleting them. So now I cherry pick the 4 am (EDT) Arizona Sports Report from a schedule that shows programs 2 weeks in advance. It's a pain in the butt, but it saves hard drive space.

Bottom Line - DirecTV and TIVO is definitely cool. And yes you can use it in tandem with a VCR (or combo VCR/DVD).

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: DirecTV/TIVO

Originally posted by JeffGollin
Much truth told here. Recapped:

- One problem with giving standing instructions is that sometimes TIVO has trouble distinguishing between first-run and repeats of the same show. (I tried it with Arizona Sports Report and sometimes had 5 or 6 versions of the same program taking up room on my hard drive and would spend extra time deleting them. So now I cherry pick the 4 am (EDT) Arizona Sports Report from a schedule that shows programs 2 weeks in advance. It's a pain in the butt, but it saves hard drive space.

Bottom Line - DirecTV and TIVO is definitely cool. And yes you can use it in tandem with a VCR (or combo VCR/DVD).

You can always do a manual recording as well, set to a specific time everyday, or week.

My wife records The Real World that way, because they don't have if it's a repeat or new in the description.

Mike

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Re: Re: DirecTV/TIVO

Originally posted by Chandler Mike
My wife records The Real World.

Mike

Jeez, is that show still on the air? The female species seems to drawn to the most boring programming on earth.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing I didn't see mentioned in all these replies is the fact that the picture you get from Direct TV is much better than cable or over-the -air reception. If you have a Home Theater Sound System, you can also get digital sound (with the proper receiver) and enjoy movies that sound just like they do in theaters. Tivo requires two incoming lines whereas a regular receiver requires only one, but a splitter always comes with the dishes (usually a 4 -way, but they can go up to 8-way) to allow you to have a Tivo unit with 2 lines and two additional one line receivers to use in bedrooms, game rooms, etc.

An added bonus is the all music channels with continuous music 24 hours a day without commercials. You should get a least one of the premium movie channels (I think Showtime is the best, but that's only one mans opinion) at first. You can always add or subtract at a later date (you will usually wind up adding channels).

I've had Primestar/Direct TV for the last 8 or 9 years and can't imagine having to go back to cable.

HDTV is also available if you have the proper TV and should be considered.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those of you who are totally satellite-challenged, a word of caution - DISH TV (i.e. advertised as "The Dish") is not DirecTV. It doesn't have NFL Sunday Ticket. You need DirecTV to get Sunday ticket. Make sure you specify DirecTV.

Regarding the two tuner deal - I'm not positive about this but I believe standalone TIVO units also have two tuners in them. (Initially, only one was activated by the software. Then a year after I bought it, they advised me accept DirecTV's download of upgraded software that enabled me to utilize the 2nd-tuner. I also had to make certain I had 2 wires hooked up appropriately to the satellite dish).

However my original TIVO unit "died" & I was able to obtain a free replacement from Phillips- I then opted for the combo receiver/TIVO unit. We now have TWO (one in the kitchen for my wife/one for the living room. The one-time buy-out arranged for the first also extends to the second, so there was no extra monthly or one-time charge).

If you have the choice, buy the combo.

What I love it for are (1) watching last night's Arizona Sports Report with my morning coffee, (2) "remembering" to record obscure programs I'd normally forget to watch - like The Wire, various jazz concerts on PBS, 100 Centre St. etc. ,(3) not having to worry about missing part of a game because we had to go out to eat , (4) watching late west coast bb Cardinal games in 30 minutes the next morning by liberally using the fast forward button) and (5) late last night I recorded 3 hours of "Prehistoric America" from the Discovery Channel plus the Cardinal bb game followed by Arizona Sports Report simultaneously using the 2 tuners.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically...let me explain...no there is not enough time, let me sum up:

If you don't have a Tivo, then you really haven't watched TV the way God intended :)

Mike

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin

Regarding the two tuner deal - I'm not positive about this but I believe standalone TIVO units also have two tuners in them. (Initially, only one was activated by the software. Then a year after I bought it, they advised me accept DirecTV's download of upgraded software that enabled me to utilize the 2nd-tuner. I also had to make certain I had 2 wires hooked up appropriately to the satellite dish).

Help me to understand this, Jeff. I have a stand alone Tivo. Are you saying that if it has 2 tuners I could watch one program and record another at the same time, or does it mean that I don't need a satellite box?

I didn't know a TiVo had a tuner at all...:confused:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Basically...let me explain...no there is not enough time, let me sum up:

If you don't have a Tivo, then you really haven't watched TV the way God intended :)

Mike

So is the deal I posted a good one or not?

I'm too satellite challenged to be sure. It looks like I probably do have a clear enough southern sky shot that I can get something although not until I get back from vacation and confirm I have the cash.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
So is the deal I posted a good one or not?

I'm too satellite challenged to be sure. It looks like I probably do have a clear enough southern sky shot that I can get something although not until I get back from vacation and confirm I have the cash.

Looks freaking good to me...$99??? CHEAP!

Tivo Series 2 even...that costs $299 regularly.

DO IT DO IT!!! lol

Mike