OT: Whiz back as OC of the Chargers

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/13/chargers-hire-ken-whisenhunt-coordinator/

Some decisions make too much sense not to be made.

Ken Whisenhunt's return to the Chargers was such.

The franchise has a new offensive coordinator, and it's the old one, sources said Wednesday. Whisenhunt is back after having spent 2013 in San Diego. The team finished with the NFL's fifth-ranked offense that year. Notably, the Chargers ran the football with relative consistency, something that's proven a struggle in the two seasons since Whisenhunt left to become the Titans' head coach. He was relieved from his duties in Tennessee last November.

Last week, the Chargers moved on from Frank Reich, Whisenhunt's successor.

Whisenhunt was a clear-cut candidate from the start.

- See more at: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-whisenhunt-coordinator/#sthash.czJVN61G.dpuf

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The system works!!!!! ..........................................in San Deigo.

:D

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A coordinator is where he always needed to be. Can't blame him for wanting to be the HC, but deep down he knew that it was over his head. Warner ran that SB team, IMO

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Plus he has an experienced and quality QB in Phil Rivers. That has always helped
Whiz.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A coordinator is where he always needed to be. Can't blame him for wanting to be the HC, but deep down he knew that it was over his head. Warner ran that SB team, IMO

This thought (not unpopular btw) has always cracked me up. The same Warner who got cut by the Giants and put up losing records as the Cards QB until Whiz became the HC.

Love Warner and there is no way we get to the SB if he isn't the QB. With what Haley is doing in Pittsburg I have come to respect the job he did here as a OC more and more. Thing is as a HC Haley imploded in KC and Warner was stinking it up before Whiz became his HC.

Maybe, just maybe Whiz did a very good job as the HC of the Az Cards, at least for awhile. Don't forget the culture of losing that was the Cards before Whiz took over. Seriously, how many decades of sucking?

Obviously Whiz isn't perfect and has some issues but he was the best thing that happened to the Cards besides Michael B. and before BASK of course.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This thought (not unpopular btw) has always cracked me up. The same Warner who got cut by the Giants and put up losing records as the Cards QB until Whiz became the HC.

Love Warner and there is no way we get to the SB if he isn't the QB. With what Haley is doing in Pittsburg I have come to respect the job he did here as a OC more and more. Thing is as a HC Haley imploded in KC and Warner was stinking it up before Whiz became his HC.

Maybe, just maybe Whiz did a very good job as the HC of the Az Cards, at least for awhile. Don't forget the culture of losing that was the Cards before Whiz took over. Seriously, how many decades of sucking?

Obviously Whiz isn't perfect and has some issues but he was the best thing that happened to the Cards besides Michael B. and before BASK of course.

I was & will always be a huge Whiz fan. I watched this wretched franchise stink it up for so many decades before Whiz came to town. We won 4 of 6 playoffs games, 2 division titles, and an NFC Championship under his watch. But during that stretch, we were NEVER as good as we are under BA. I just hope BA can take us all the way. I'm sure Whiz will do well as the OC of the Chargers.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I like Whiz and what he brought here. So many give Warner all the credit, but he made his mark. Sure, Arians has changed my perception of what I want in a coach, but I give Whiz credit for what he did and wish him well. OC is probably his best bet in the NFL but I appreciate what he gave here. I loved going to the SB. Now maybe we will win it.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Haley didn't implode in KC he just has an abrasive style but he did more with less there than can be imagined.

I picture Haley as the kind of guy that goes on to be an incredible head coach once he gets a little polish on him.

He's a very talented guy.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What's weird is I can actually see him getting yet another HC opportunity sometime in the next 4-5 years or sooner.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is a really strong OC. Should always have a job in that capacity, no matter what.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Especially since he'll be paid as a head coach. San Diego can pay him a $1 a year and TN has to pay him the difference of his (I think) 5 million dollar a year salary.

Technically, yes... but they don't.

Usually, it's the average salary for the position, which is paid and thus subtracted from the money owed by the previous employer.

It's a long-standing gentleman's agreement between teams.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

This!!!

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Oh so cute and clever. Yep, it was simply putting on gloves that helped Warner walk across water and take us to the SB.

My response is based on your history of Whiz bashing so if I'm over reacting let me know and I will apologize.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser