JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
You must be registered for see images
E-mail this story

OUT LOUD
Steve Rosenbloom chats with sports and entertainment figures in the news.
[/FONT]

January 4, 2006

The workaholic running back tells Steve Rosenbloom what a privilege it is to be a Bear. I thought we would be capable of winning our division and winning the Super Bowl. Nothing's changed now.

Having a bye the first week and having a home game and being two games away from the Super Bowl, it's definitely a reality.

I'm a workaholic. I feel like the harder you work, the more you're going to get a break.

My heroes growing up were my dad and Walter Payton.

I used to sit in kindergarten and the first grade, and I remember drawing the Chicago "C." Sometimes I would get in trouble in class because we were supposed to be doing our schoolwork, and I'm in there drawing the Chicago "C" and coloring it orange.

It's a privilege to be here and it's a privilege to play the same position that he (Walter Payton) played.

My dad is one of those people who's a jack-of-all-trades. He's pretty much done everything growing up. He's worked in the coal mines. He was an anchor on the news in Johnson City, Tenn. He worked as a minority recruiter at the University of Tennessee. He's been a pool-installation guy. He worked at a maximum-security prison as a correction officer.

One of the things I picked up from him was being a mentally tough guy. He had my brother (Dallas running back Julius Jones) and I doing push-ups and situps since we were 8, 9 years old. We used to run up and down my hill every morning in the summertime. Even though we didn't have school, we'd get up every morning at 6 o'clock when my mom would go to work -- she worked in the coal mines too -- and we'd get up and down the hill, up and down the hill. I was in the 6th grade and my brother was in the 3rd grade. I always wanted to make sure my dad was proud of me.

Me, my brother and my sisters were always playing football in the house. Me and my brother especially. We broke a coffee table. We got a whipping for that.

You see the draft and you see guys who were getting drafted, especially the guys who were at the draft, and they have their suits and their families there. Everyone's excited and crying. That's a big moment. I always told my mom and dad that I was going to be in the NFL, I was going to be at the draft. For Christmas, growing up of course I didn't have money to get my parents anything, but I would write them cards and say one of these days I will buy you a house or a car. Every year. Then, just the fact that I was drafted, and I was at the draft and my family's backstage and I had my suit on and they called my name and I walked on stage with my hat and my family comes out there, it was like a dream come true.

But probably 20 minutes after the draft I realized where I was going -- to Arizona -- and that's a place I really wasn't excited about. As a matter of fact, before the draft, I met Brian Urlacher and some of the other guys who were top picks, and a lot of guys were saying, "I'm not going to Arizona; you are." We were going back and forth about who was going to Arizona, and nobody wanted to go there.

A lot of times in the NFL people don't understand it's not about talent; it's about situations sometimes.

Being in Arizona for three years was miserable, but I wouldn't change it if I could because I learned from it.

I'm a very spiritual person. God is the head of my life. He's the head of my family. No matter what situation I go through, I know he's either put me in that situation to learn from that situation or gain from that situation. The road for me in the NFL hasn't been a easy one, but I also look at it as a great thing to go through things that make me mentally tough, to understand the NFL, to understand the business, and also for my brother to see.

It really hit me that, wow, my brother's in the NFL before that game (when Jones and the Bears played his brother and Dallas on Thanksgiving in 2004). During warmups I went over and saw him and gave him a kiss on the cheek and said, "Good luck, man. I love you. Don't get hurt. Watch your legs. Watch your neck." I'm still trying to coach him up even though we're playing against each other. That's the first game that I stood up the whole game. Usually, when we're on defense I sit down. But when we were on defense, he's up. So I stood up the whole game and watched him.

On game days, I don't talk to anybody.

I wouldn't say I'm private. I'm a nice guy. I get along with everybody. I'm not going to disrespect you, but I'm not going to be disrespected either. If you ask my family, they'd probably say I'm the clown in the family.

Best piece of advice I've ever gotten is play like it's your last play. That's what my dad always tells me.

Reaction score
I've got one thing to say to Thomas Jones, perhaps something his father might have told him... "Thomas, you are either part of the solution or part of the problem!" During his time in Arizona, Jones chose to be part of the problem...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
But probably 20 minutes after the draft I realized where I was going -- to Arizona -- and that's a place I really wasn't excited about. As a matter of fact, before the draft, I met Brian Urlacher and some of the other guys who were top picks, and a lot of guys were saying, "I'm not going to Arizona; you are." We were going back and forth about who was going to Arizona, and nobody wanted to go there.

A lot of times in the NFL people don't understand it's not about talent; it's about situations sometimes.

Being in Arizona for three years was miserable, but I wouldn't change it if I could because I learned from it.

This is what Green was faced with when he took the HC job.

Going to take some serious winning to overcome the Cardinals miserable reputation.

And of course it's evident why TJones didn't play worth a flip while he was in Arizona.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
God I hate TJ. DG using the TJ example to make his point last week was the most objectionable comment he's made so far IMO. TJ never ever had any chance of succeeding here because he bailed out on us before he ever put on a uniform. TJ's comments that he literally gave up on us 20 minutes after being drafted tell you every thing you ever need to know about this clueless idiot. Instead of looking at it as a challenge, he started planning his escape from AZ twenty minutes after being drafted. Worthless P.O.S.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardShark said:
Gives a little insight as to how the Cardinals were regarded. I wonder if it's changed at all.

I think it has. We now have our star players requesting contract extensions to stay here instead of worrying about how fast they can leave. We have legitimate stars like Berry, Wilson Boldin and Fitz recruiting free agents. The times, they are a changing.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
CardShark said:
Gives a little insight as to how the Cardinals were regarded. I wonder if it's changed at all.

Until we start putting wins on the board I do not think new stadium, new coach, or new anything will change how we are viewed. I am a longtime fan and until we start winning everything I hear is just talk. Winning cures everything.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Riding with Viper

If you go into something believing you don't or won't be part of turning it around or making it better, then you've just set everyone else up to fail along with you.
I'm happy he's doing better and getting his shot, but if he's going to put God at the center of his life he ought to read James. "Tame thy tongue"!

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
RedViper said:
God I hate TJ. DG using the TJ example to make his point last week was the most objectionable comment he's made so far IMO. TJ never ever had any chance of succeeding here because he bailed out on us before he ever put on a uniform. TJ's comments that he literally gave up on us 20 minutes after being drafted tell you every thing you ever need to know about this clueless idiot. Instead of looking at it as a challenge, he started planning his escape from AZ twenty minutes after being drafted. Worthless P.O.S.

The article really showed his mental makeup. Frankly, as far as I'm concerned, the regret of wasting the seventh pick on that loser is higher than his "regret" of being in Arizona.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
I think it has. We now have our star players requesting contract extensions to stay here instead of worrying about how fast they can leave. We have legitimate stars like Berry, Wilson Boldin and Fitz recruiting free agents. The times, they are a changing.

I agree. I think the tide is starting to change. The new stadium will help some. Winning will help more.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Snake said:
The article really showed his mental makeup. Frankly, as far as I'm concerned, the regret of wasting the seventh pick on that loser is higher than his "regret" of being in Arizona.

exactly....i think everyone associated with the Cardinals wishs it was Brian Urlacher getting laughed at that draft day instead of TJ's sorry a$$...might have been all the difference too

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Always said the guy was an idiot. Giving the starting job for no reason over and over yet Pittman kept beating him out.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
I agree. I think the tide is starting to change. The new stadium will help some. Winning will help more.

Can't hurt any to have the Fiesta Bowl played in Glendale instead of Tempe.

Cards visitors locker room at SDS was voted one of 5 worst in the NFL.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Nothing we didn't already know. Add to that list - players who wanted out as soon as they were drafted:

Wadsworth / Boston / Knight / Wendel Bryant, etc, etc....

The perception has stated to change, tho; especially with the new stadium opening soon.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Can't hurt any to have the Fiesta Bowl played in Glendale instead of Tempe.

Yup. Saw that. Hey, who cares about the visitors' locker room anyway? :p At the Linc, the visiting team has a smaller locker room than Temple University and Temple, well, sucks.

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
Yup. Saw that. Hey, who cares about the visitors' locker room anyway? :p At the Linc, the visiting team has a smaller locker room than Temple University and Temple, well, sucks.

Was Iowa's visiting locker room on the list? It's pink for crying out loud!!

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Duckjake said:

Cardsmasochist said:
Was Iowa's visiting locker room on the list? It's pink for crying out loud!!

Is Iowa in the NFL? :hulk:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice mentality for TJ to have regarding AZ..

If playing for Arizona is not enough to motivate you, maybe realizing that our star players still end up with fat contracts (Just ask Q and Jake)

He may be doing OK in Chicago granted.. but what if no one was interested in giving him a second shot, based on his performance here?

Way to look out for your own bottom line idiot.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Just goes to show the mentality that idiot brought to this team. What a loser. He didn't try to be a leader and use his god given talent to change things in Arizona. He just wallowed in his own self pity. I'm so glad we got rid of this moron when we did.

I can't thank guys like Bertrand Berry enough for coming to Arizona and trying to establish a legitimate programme.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. TJ has matured but when he was a college kid he didn't want to play for AZ...has the gall (apparently) to be honest about how he felt at that time...admits that experience was a learning one for him...and you guys hate him?

Classic. Is it any wonder why athletes speak in old worn out cliches that take no intelligence to utter instead of blessing everyone with the truth? Because fan throw hissies like are on this thread and act like they have been personally insulted.

TJ sucked here...no doubt about it. But to still hate the guy is stupid. TJ grew up from when he was here and fans should grow up as well and forget about him.

Worry about the present and future.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
So let me get this straight. TJ has matured but when he was a college kid he didn't want to play for AZ...has the gall (apparently) to be honest about how he felt at that time...admits that experience was a learning one for him...and you guys hate him?

Classic. Is it any wonder why athletes speak in old worn out cliches that take no intelligence to utter instead of blessing everyone with the truth? Because fan throw hissies like are on this thread and act like they have been personally insulted.

TJ sucked here...no doubt about it. But to still hate the guy is stupid. TJ grew up from when he was here and fans should grow up as well and forget about him.

Worry about the present and future.

Well said. :thumbup:

Ill add one to it in saying that TJ didnt suck when here.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
SoCal Cardfan said:
He may be doing OK in Chicago granted.. but what if no one was interested in giving him a second shot, based on his performance here?

Well, just to give you an idea of how badly his half assed efforts hurt his long term chances, keep in mind the second coaches and management deem Cedric Benson ready, Jones' sorry ass will be on the first bus out of town. In the end, it always comes back to bite you.