Panthers game

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Even if they picked DJ I seriously doubt he would be starting. Witherspoon and Ahort both fit in excellently in that scheme. Gamble stinks and I have thought that for a while. Peppers is still really good IMO, but I like Rucker better. They are both top 10 DEs. Berry will dominate Reyes with his inside move and bull-rush. Wilson should also have a good day. I say we squeak 19-17.

Reaction score
Panthers tore up the Cardinals last year with Nick Goings<sp>!!! You can bet that John Fox will plan on doing the same again this game.

Hopefully, the Cards defense brings it hard, get some early scores with Fitz and Boldin, and then the defense keeps on bringing it.

This will be a very tough game for the Cardinals...

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
Sunday's game against the Panthers will give Cards fans a good idea of how good or bad a coaching staff the Cards has--Green vs. John Fox.

Green & Co will have to come up with some good schemes on both sides of the ball to defeat the Panthers.

If we loose against the Panthers on Sunday, I wouldn't accept the usual "blame it on Josh excuse." :nono: :nono:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We have a better chance of winning this than we did in Mexico.

Cards show what it's all about. Cards win.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry. I just don't like how the two teams match up. It's the Giants all over again.

1. You've got a very good strong side DE like Strahan (only this time it's Peppers) matching up against Wakefield. (Not that Rucker is exactly chopped liver).

2. You've got a smash mouth running attack featuring Davis, Foster (and their secret weapon, Goins who who blacktopped us in a tailback role last year or the year before)

Plus (a) Delhomme is a high efficency QB and (b) they've got a new pair of excellent corners.

This game will present a huge challenge for us.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Sorry. I just don't like how the two teams match up. It's the Giants all over again.

1. You've got a very good strong side DE like Strahan (only this time it's Peppers) matching up against Wakefield. (Not that Rucker is exactly chopped liver).

2. You've got a smash mouth running attack featuring Davis, Foster (and their secret weapon, Goins who who blacktopped us in a tailback role last year or the year before)

Plus (a) Delhomme is a high efficency QB and (b) they've got a new pair of excellent corners.

This game will present a huge challenge for us.
Your right, and I think we finally rise to that challenge and the Cards start in motion what we wanted from the get go. I stellar defense and a Passing attack. I think the D finds a way to stop there running game and We again have a fine day passing and out score the Panthers. Our running game will have to catch up but will have a decent day. Cards Win.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Some things I got from traveling around the Panthers message boards.

1. Peppers hasnt been to good, they feel it is part injury and part double teams becuase no one else on the dline is stepping up. They do not have a high opinion of their dline right now and think they are overrated as a unit. In the words of one poster the dline looks lazy.

2. They hate their DC right now. They dont like his schemes at all and feel he isnt being imaginative enough. They feel he is relying way to much on his front 4 getting pressure and becuase of that crutch he is reluctant to blitz, which he hardly does now a Days, which is why the pass rush is so poor right now.

3. They want Davis to sit on the bench and only be a goal line and short yardage guy and start Foster who they feel is a much better RB inbetween the 20's compared to Davis. Their YPC and Davis 5 TD's seem to support this, and I agree.

4. Lucas can be beat deep. But on short and meduim routes he is a gamer.

5. Smith is the man.

What I got out of the Panthers fans in terms of what our game plan should be is this:

Run right at Peppers early and often and double him the 1st quarter. If you lean on him and make him a none factor the 1st quarter he will wear down and loss confidence and make him a none factor the rest of the game, especially with his injury and he lacks confidence at times, which is the same tactic the first 4 teams used against him and it worked.

Try beating Lucas deep early and often becuase they will slide deep coverage to his side of the field and becuase the coverage is over deep on that side of the field the Underneath routes to a #3 WR, TE, or RB will be open on that side of the field with Fitz or BJ going deep.

Double cover Smith. Take their one and only recieving threat away from them. They get to the red zone on Smith shoulders and we dont want to handle Davis in the red zone.

Spread it out with 4 WR's. They tend to not blitz, so see if our front 5 and a RB can handle their front 4. Their pass rush has been nonexsitent so we should try to air it out deep and have time to do it.(see comments on Lucas)

If Foster is in the game, Contian, Contian, Contian, he is money on the edges. When he is in the game our DE's and OLB's need to be aware of it.

If we throw it Gambles way and he gets his hands on it he will catch it and have a chance at taking it to the house, so McCown needs to be aware of that and not force anything Gambles way and get torched for a Defensive TD.

Delhommey

Reaction score
Pretty good read on our team guys. Pretty sound football knowledge on this site.

You've covered most everything, but one thing to note, our CB's are quite good, especially Lucas. It's our safeties that have been having a little bit (but not too much) of a problem.

Our D can be monsterous, but for whatever reason, they are not living up to their billing. And yes our D-Coord is coming under quite a bit of fire from our fanbase (for good reason)

JakeFranchise

Reaction score
Regarding joeshmo and some other comments:

1. Ken Lucas has dominated his side of the field all year. During the regular season, he may have had three balls thrown to his side, and I don't recall any being completed. In our preseason game with the Giants (our 3rd game as I recall), he gave up a fairly deep pass, but kind of joked about it because it was the first pass he'd seen his way up to that point. He's physical against the run, and is our best cover guy by a mile. Look for McCown to go to Gamble's side with the deep ball.

2. Peppers has indeed been a disappointment, but he is also a notoriously slow starter, gathering the vast majority of his 30 career sacks in the second halves of seasons. Rucker has made some nice plays from his end, forcing a couple of big fumbles. An advantage for you since double teams do not seem critical at this point.

3. Our offensive line will get better as the year goes on; LT, LG, and RT are either new or playing a new position. They have been good on pass protection, but relatively weak on run protection. The company line is that we take what opponents give us, so while we are run first, if you bring a lot of guys to the line we will go to the air more frequently.

4. GB double and even triple covered Smith. Colbert stepped up and made some nice plays, along with a couple of TDs to TEs (Gaines, Mangum). In single coverage, Smith seems to ALWAYS get open, so he caught most of the balls the first 3 games. It would be a mistake to assume that Smith is the only one who can catch a pass.

5. I disagree with most of our whiners regarding our DC. He does pressure relatively consistently; the problem is the Dline not creating enough of a push. I expect that to change at some point. Our problems tend more in the soft zone coverages, due to concerns with our safeties. Underneath routes, quick slants and outs are where Fitzgerald and Boldin can make big plays. The deep ball is tough to complete against Lucas and/ or Gamble.

It is very tough to run against us, and that is probably your greatest area of concern since Shipp's production has been limited. When opponents are in obvious deep passing situations, we will aggressively blitz, which has forced more misfires and incompletions than sacks this year but still effective.

Congratulations on the quality of the board here. You guys do a nice job of actually talking about football. There are an excessive number of yahoos on our boards. I expect a tight game- good luck Sunday.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board Caronlina Guys. Your insight is appreciated.

A-Bomb

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JakeFranchise said:
Regarding joeshmo and some other comments:

1. Ken Lucas has dominated his side of the field all year. During the regular season, he may have had three balls thrown to his side, and I don't recall any being completed. In our preseason game with the Giants (our 3rd game as I recall), he gave up a fairly deep pass, but kind of joked about it because it was the first pass he'd seen his way up to that point. He's physical against the run, and is our best cover guy by a mile. Look for McCown to go to Gamble's side with the deep ball.

I thought the first GB TD on Monday was Lucas' man? I know there were at least 2 completions on that last drive alone that were on Lucas because they said his name on both as having been the guy that was beat. The second TD was the one Gamble tried to jump the route and Chatman took it for a TD, but Lucas gave up at least 2 completions on that drive and I'm pretty sure the 16 yard TD to Lee came off Lucas.

Does Carolina play sides or do they put Lucas on #1WRs? It would be interesting to see if they put him on Fitz or Boldin is why I ask. I'm pretty confident that Anquan and Fitz can make plays, if they get open and josh sees them they're going to make plays, really more concerned with can we run the ball enough to keep the Carolina D honest?

Smith is sure fun to watch with our current CB situation he scares the heck out of me.

JakeFranchise

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I thought the first GB TD on Monday was Lucas' man? I know there were at least 2 completions on that last drive alone that were on Lucas because they said his name on both as having been the guy that was beat. The second TD was the one Gamble tried to jump the route and Chatman took it for a TD, but Lucas gave up at least 2 completions on that drive and I'm pretty sure the 16 yard TD to Lee came off Lucas.

Does Carolina play sides or do they put Lucas on #1WRs? It would be interesting to see if they put him on Fitz or Boldin is why I ask. I'm pretty confident that Anquan and Fitz can make plays, if they get open and josh sees them they're going to make plays, really more concerned with can we run the ball enough to keep the Carolina D honest?

Smith is sure fun to watch with our current CB situation he scares the heck out of me.

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure Martin's TD was all Gamble. They mainly play sides. Gamble had Chambers against Miami, and gave up a couple of big plays. Gamble had Stallworth and Lucas had Horn against NO (most of the game) and both played really well (the TE and therefore the safety play killed us in that one). There's no doubt that you guys have a couple of elite WRs and I expect them to make a couple of big plays at least.

I agree that the game will depend on who can win the battle in the trenches. I like our chances for that reason: our rushing defensive stats are somewhat skewed since we hold teams to 1-3 yards/ carry but have given up a couple of big ones.

How do you guys feel about Shipp?

Reaction score
Panther's CB Ken Lucas played in Seattle until this season, right? He is a good CB but Clancy P. and the Cardinals should have a good read on him, having played Seattle twice per year for the last couple of years.
JakeFranchise said:
Underneath routes, quick slants and outs are where Fitzgerald and Boldin can make big plays.
The Cardinals have been making these plays all year, could be a long hot afternoon for the Carolina secondary. :thumbup:

Had to look twice at the JakeFranchise screen name; thought it was another Plummer fanatic throwing in... :D

JakeFranchise

Reaction score
CardLogic said:
Panther's CB Ken Lucas played in Seattle until this season, right? He is a good CB but Clancy P. and the Cardinals should have a good read on him, having played Seattle twice per year for the last couple of years. The Cardinals have been making these plays all year, could be a long hot afternoon for the Carolina secondary. :thumbup:

Had to look twice at the JakeFranchise screen name; thought it was another Plummer fanatic throwing in... :D

I like Lucas because he has the stones to call out the team when the intensity isn't there. Whoever he matches up with will be an interesting battle. It remains to be seen how McCown performs against a more aggressive pash rush this year. In my mind he should have played ahead of Warner all year.

There is only one Jake to me. Kudos to you guys for getting rid of Plummer.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JakeFranchise said:
Kudos to you guys for getting rid of Plummer.

3....2.....1.... let the meltdown begin.

:D

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
I agree...this will be a tough matchup for the Cards..But I do like our chances at home. I think it will boil down to the defense again. They need to come out focused and set the tempo for the game. The Cards can't give up easy touchdowns in any area of the game. I could see Smith burning us for an easy TD at some point in the game. Tough to call...I say a 7 point game..
My gut tells me the Panthers find a way to win this game..but the Cards really need the win...If they don't have the usual afterbigwin hangover..then the Cards have a shot to pull the upset...and would be right back in the NFC West mix...

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
JakeFranchise said:
I like Lucas because he has the stones to call out the team when the intensity isn't there. Whoever he matches up with will be an interesting battle. It remains to be seen how McCown performs against a more aggressive pash rush this year. In my mind he should have played ahead of Warner all year.

There is only one Jake to me. Kudos to you guys for getting rid of Plummer.

I personally don't think Gamble is that good at all. Also, I've been impressed this year by your LBs, my uncle is a huge Carolina fan and he actually works for their flight company. I watch most of the games so I can talk with him.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Which one of Boldin or Fitzgerald was Lucas covering last year in Seattle?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05