Parsons - screwup

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, at the very least we need two viable options at backup. The Rams proved this last year. Jaime Martin was supposed to be the GUY be hind Warner, but when he didn't work out they turned to Bulger with good results.

But both Martin and especially Bulger were big question marks beforee they came in to start. Viable backups can come from unexpected places--ie Bulger and maybe McCown or Parsons.

I'm fine with going into the season with those two.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
blake did his thing, two scores and no turnovers. what do you want, plummer throwing some behind the back passes or maybe a couple between his legs. blake is the man and we better pray he does not get hurt. he threw the long ones away because he does not trust his wrs yet but he did hook up nicely with kasper.

cardagon7

Reaction score
guys

Hey it's PRE-season! There are going to be kinks to work out. Blake is going to overthrow the ball every now and again. It'll work itself out. As for McKnown and Parsons, they haven't seen REAL game time in 2 years. Yes, this IS the NFL but it's the FIRST PRE-season game. I give props to all that played who came off a cold bench! GO CARDS:thumbup:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the radio booth, some of those incompletions were Blake throwing it away.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My take on the QB situation last night:

Blake and the WR's need to work on their timing. The balls he overthrew (almost all misses were overthrown) are strictly due to unfamiliarity with his WR crew. By the end of the pre-season, they will have that worked out and the Cards will have a very potent offense this year.

I was not impressed with McCown at all. He has "happy feet" and was hopping around like a rabbit every time he got even a little pressure. He kept hurrying up his throws and his ability to throw when running was not very impressive at all.

Parsons didn't come in until the 4th quarter, but I thought he had a lot more poise out there than McCown had. He stayed in the pocket, even under heavy pressure, and still tried to complete his passes. His results might not have been as good as McCown, but he is willing to take a hit in order to complete his passes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
McCown looks ten times better than last year, but I still don't want him as backup, yet. He's a decent third string at this point, not a #2 QB. IMO.
Couldn't see/only read and hear - but McCown yesterday sure didn't sound any different than McCown a year ago (at least in the first half).

If so, it's not good enough. We need someone behind Blake who can win games for us.

COLOR]

Jeff, he might not have "sounded" any different, but he surely looked different.

He wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but from watching the scrimmage and the first preseason game, I will confidently say that he has improved a lot.

His release is effortless and he throws a pretty ball. He also moves well in the pocket too. What he needs to work on is his chemistry (timing) with the receivers, and reading defenses better.

Parsons missed a very wide open McAddley, and if he could've completed that pass, it would have probably been a td. One of the worst throws I've ever seen to a completely wide open receiver...

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
(McCown) wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but from watching the scrimmage and the first preseason game, I will confidently say that he has improved a lot.

His release is effortless and he throws a pretty ball. He also moves well in the pocket too. What he needs to work on is his chemistry (timing) with the receivers, and reading defenses better.

Krang:

I dunno if it was his inability to read the defense, but McCown put at least two throws in the hands of Cowboy DBs. He was a couple of dropped INTs away from potentially changing the course of this game.

I thought the Cardinals were crazy to enter last season with McCown as their #2. I haven't seen much to make me more confident, this year.

WC

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wild Card
Krang:

I dunno if it was his inability to read the defense, but McCown put at least two throws in the hands of Cowboy DBs. He was a couple of dropped INTs away from potentially changing the course of this game.

I thought the Cardinals were crazy to enter last season with McCown as their #2. I haven't seen much to make me more confident, this year.

WC

Completly agree. I think McCown COULD be a compitent backup but right now, entering this season, I would like to see the Cards get on the horn to a veteren QB.

<cough>LUCAS<cough>

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wild Card
Krang:

WC

Oh I agree, I was just saying that he has improved since last year, which is a really good thing.

We'll be dogmeat if Blake goes down.