Patrick Peterson

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'd argue team. Get him in on some offensive packages too. PP6 (sorry he doesn't get credit for the point after) is legit.

Yes, I just have a hard time saying anyone is more explosive than Fitz, even though Peterson obviously has more speed.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for cleaning up this thread, mods. :thumbup:

That was a helluva play by PP. He had to run/jump quite a distance from his man to make that catch, even if he was padding his own man a bit too much. The extra padding tells me that he's trying to avoid giving up the big play for now, and the interception tells me he has a feel for what to do when the ball goes in the air. Once he gets it all figured out, he'll be a solid addition to the team. I hope to see more of those in the future. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for cleaning up this thread, mods. :thumbup:

That was a helluva play by PP. He had to run/jump quite a distance from his man to make that catch, even if he was padding his own man a bit too much. The extra padding tells me that he's trying to avoid giving up the big play for now, and the interception tells me he has a feel for what to do when the ball goes in the air. Once he gets it all figured out, he'll be a solid addition to the team. I hope to see more of those in the future. :)

I agree. I should have just skipped the post and kept my mouth shut.

As for PP, don't you just love watching him move. He's so incredibly fluid that I think it's a safe bet that we'll be seeing a lot more of this.

Steve

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
watching him live, a few things stand out:

explosive is the right word. He may be no faster than DRC in the 40, but he is absolutely faster in the first 10 yards of that 40. The speed he has in his first four steps just jumps out.

On playing corner: this will be a work in progress. On the int, he comes off his guy to make the pick. Outstanding play --

but on a subsequent play -- I watched him locked up on Malcolm Floyd wide left. Ran with him, and then came off to cut in front of Walters who had lined up in the slot and ran a pattern underneath Floyds deeper route. Rivers went elsewhere with the ball -- but in coming off his guy, he left Floyd running alone to the endzone.

Teams notice this stuff on film.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree. I should have just skipped the post and kept my mouth shut.

As for PP, don't you just love watching him move. He's so incredibly fluid that I think it's a safe bet that we'll be seeing a lot more of this.

Steve

I probably shouldn't of taken the teachable moment, but sometimes in the grand scheme of things, you need to teach something to the world, because it's there to be taught. (and while not here, if it's NOT taught, we're screwed) Because everyone of us at a point in time are in the perfect spot to teach something, and we should take it if it's there. I can respect the mods decision.

Now on PP, the way he stretches out for the catch is absolutely beautiful. It was like watching a soft handed wide receiver. He broke on that ball while other cards were just standing there (well in a way ofc...like a car going 40mph looks standing still to a car going 80 mph).

I don't think he is a bust. He's had less opportunities then most other db's coming into their rookie season, with nothing besides training camp.

...and lots of cb's get beat on back shoulder endzone throws.

I wouldn't expect Deion Sanders to consistently break those up. Those are money plays, and if you don't scheme to stop it, your cb is screwed. We've seen how well they work when Warner used to throw them. They are basically indefensible if you allow the wr/qb to get to that stage.

Also playing 10 yards off the ball doesn't make him look very good either. So combine all that stuff with his own mistakes, if you don't sift through them right, and buy into bs, he could indeed look like a bust under that colored lens.

So I don't buy all the bs about Peterson being a bust on the radio. While there will be real growing pains, since you can't fake reality on the field, he has the tools to succeed, and has now shown some of why we drafted him. His KR at the beginning wasn't bad either.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did show me something as both the PR and nickel CB last night. I could see the Peterson pick before it happened. I knew it was coming to his side.... called it out loud.

Keep it up!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just have a hard time saying anyone is more explosive than Fitz, even though Peterson obviously has more speed.

Really? Explosive isn't one of 5 qualities that I'd call Fitz. He isn't quick off the line or sharp in his route running, despite what the announcers said. Fitz himself would tell you himself (and has) that the area he could improve the most his route running.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Really? Explosive isn't one of 5 qualities that I'd call Fitz. He isn't quick off the line or sharp in his route running, despite what the announcers said. Fitz himself would tell you himself (and has) that the area he could improve the most his route running.

Disagree. He is not fast, but he is certainly explosive. Explosive getting off the line and when he is leaping. Also he is much improved in his route running.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. He is not fast, but he is certainly explosive. Explosive getting off the line and when he is leaping. Also he is much improved in his route running.

But he isn't. Fitz doesn't beat his man off of the line of scrimmage using his speed and acceleration. That's explosion IMO. He knows how to use leverage, timing, and leaping ability as good as anyone in the NFL. He certainly has the best hands in the NFL.

He has improved his route running for sure, but he isn't 'explosive.'

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But he isn't. Fitz doesn't beat his man off of the line of scrimmage using his speed and acceleration. That's explosion IMO. He knows how to use leverage, timing, and leaping ability as good as anyone in the NFL. He certainly has the best hands in the NFL.

He has improved his route running for sure, but he isn't 'explosive.'

Concur

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
what the hell are you talking about? Rookie Newton has hung over 400 yards on PP and the Cards? A record 400 yard game for the first game.

Can't crown crap on that!

Plus the hot doggin before you score on the return? get the score keep the ball in your hands and then celebrate after the game! When you get big money on your new contract!

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Im impressed. :-O

He has a longgggggggggg way to go!!! He was abused in the passing game but his X-factor won it for us.

I'm still think he's playing in the wrong system which is predominately zone & many draft people didnt like his skillset in that system...he's better in press man.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been telling my wife since we drafted him to watch for PP21 to start breaking long returns for TD's. Probably said it so much she is sick of it. Was so glad when he broke one for the long TD today !!! :notworthy: