Patrick Willis

BigWatson

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Spoken like someone who didn't watch Willis play. He was all over the field yesterday. Yes Smith made a great block, and took Willis out of that play. The other play, Shipp got a block on him, but he still forced Leinart out of the pocket, and into an incomplete pass IIRC.

Are you really saying that Derek Smith, Brandon Moore and especially Manny Lawson outplayed him yesterday? Seriously?

Read this again if you missed it.

9 tackles, 2 assists, 1 QB hurry and 1 forced fumble
Wow, you're making a lot of sense. First accusing me of not even watching the game even though you exactly confirm what i said earlier and then you keep coming up with stats, like that proves anything.

Like i said, he looked bad out there. He gave up that rushing TD, he failed to make the sack when he came through the line unblocked and his tackles came after 5 yards. If that's what consider a great game, well i think every LB has a great game every time they step on the field. I think the guys on ESPN must have brainwashed you or something, because he defenitely did not have a great game. Statistically, yes. If you watch him on tape - no.

Genus49

Reaction score
I'm not crying, it was a penalty that wasn't called.Stuff like that happens all the time. I wouldn't necessarily say getting the ball and tackle is the mark of a good LB if he's getting to the ball carrier 8 yards downfield. I'm not ripping the guy.He was all over the field. I'm just not ready to annoint him DROY after 1 game where the offense ran for over 150 yards. Karlos Dansby had a much better game than Willis and you don't see people on here naming him all-pro.

Once again...it wasn't called because there was nothing to call. He didn't hit with his helmet. Watch it again.

...you see me call Willis an all-pro? But if you had a rookie linebacker look like that against a good offense in his first game, wouldn't you be excited?

Dansby played great but he's a vet...that's a big difference.

Genus49

Reaction score
Wow, you're making a lot of sense. First accusing me of not even watching the game even though you exactly confirm what i said earlier and then you keep coming up with stats, like that proves anything.

Like i said, he looked bad out there. He gave up that rushing TD, he failed to make the sack when he came through the line unblocked and his tackles came after 5 yards. If that's what consider a great game, well i think every LB has a great game every time they step on the field. I think the guys on ESPN must have brainwashed you or something, because he defenitely did not have a great game. Statistically, yes. If you watch him on tape - no.

You're blind. He was all over the field. Considering the DL wasn't really holding up it's point of attack on rushing plays he did a great job getting to the ball and making tackles.

As for the "no sack" play. Do you understand the meaning of the word unblocked? Didn't you claim that Shipp destroyed him on that "block"? How can he have been unblocked if Shipp was right there? Well take a look at that play again. Willis exploded into him not the other way around, Leinart happened to move to his left, while Willis went past him from the momentum of the collision with Shipp...if he goes in lightly, Shipp gets out there when he's supposed to and the timing of the play isn't off so there's no flag on the play.

I don't know what tape you're watching but I suggest you get a less fuzzy copy.

BigWatson

Registered
Reaction score
wow...take off the rose colored glasses.

All MLBs get blocked at some point, they are men after all. Good for Smith to get a nice block on Willis. But you're on crack if you're saying Willis didn't do a good job. He was all over the field and in on almost every defensive play.

As for that play you claim Willis got smacked BY Shipp...dood open your eyes. Willis blitzed and he got back there so quick the line didn't have time to pick him up. It's not like they just let him go. And Shipp just got in his way he certainly didn't smack anyone. Willis blew through him and that threw the timing on the play off...causing the penalty for an illeagal man downfield.

And please don't mention Derek Smith and Willis in the same breath. I still get sick thinking of how he just pushed Edge when he caugh a shovel pass from Leinart.
Colored glasses? That doesn't even make sense. I just gave credit to Derek Smith, Manny Lawson and Brandon Moore. Whatever, be happy with his performance. I'm sure opposing running backs would be happy as well if Willis keeps performing the way he did yesterday.

I'm not even saying he's a horrible player so calm down already. He's very talented and i think he will be special in a year or two. That being said he did not look great yesterday. That's just my opinion.

Genus49

Reaction score
Colored glasses? That doesn't even make sense. I just gave credit to Derek Smith, Manny Lawson and Brandon Moore. Whatever, be happy with his performance. I'm sure opposing running backs would be happy as well if Willis keeps performing the way he did yesterday.

I'm not even saying he's a horrible player so calm down already. He's very talented and i think he will be special in a year or two. That being said he did not look great yesterday. That's just my opinion.

Fair enough.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Put it this way. If Willis had hit Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Brett Favre in the exact same fashion there would have been a penalty called and the announcers would've been in an uproar. Willis may have even got hit with a fine. But it wasn't those guys, so it was deemed a legal, good hit. No problem. From what i saw they could have called a penalty for either leading with his helmet, helmet to helmet contact, or a blow to the head. It wasn't called and it's not the reason the Cards lost. I just thought, in alot of cases, the flag gets thrown there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Blah blah blah. He didn't give up the rushing TD, he almost saved it. He was blocked by Gandy in the second level, got away from the block to make the tackle. If Willis wasn't there, he would have went in untouched.

Second, I do consider 9 tackles, 2 assists, 1 QB hurry and 1 forced fumble a great game. How many other LB's in that game put up those kind of numbers? Look at another rookie Paul Posluszny's stat line. There were a lot of people that said he had a great game too. 9 tackles and 1 assist. No matter how you cut it, Willis had a great game.

Or you must be right, ESPN has everyone but you brainwashed. :sarcasm:

Put it this way. If Willis had hit Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Brett Favre in the exact same fashion there would have been a penalty called and the announcers would've been in an uproar. Willis may have even got hit with a fine. But it wasn't those guys, so it was deemed a legal, good hit. No problem. From what i saw they could have called a penalty for either leading with his helmet, helmet to helmet contact, or a blow to the head. It wasn't called and it's not the reason the Cards lost. I just thought, in alot of cases, the flag gets thrown there.

Just because Leinart doesn't get the star treatment that Manning or Brady would, doesn't make it a penalty. The replay CLEARLY shows that this was not a late hit, that he didn't make helmet to helmet contact, and he didn't lead with his head. If you haven't seen the replay, I suggest you watch it again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dansby should already have an extension - why Dockett does and he doesn't is beyond me.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dansby should already have an extension - why Dockett does and he doesn't is beyond me.

Injury and attitude during tha last offseason is my only guesses.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very sinple really IMO. Last season he was diagnosed with a possible career threatening toe injury. You just dont extend a guy like that until you see thyrough a substantiated amount of time how that BIG TOE will hold up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very sinple really IMO. Last season he was diagnosed with a possible career threatening toe injury. You just dont extend a guy like that until you see thyrough a substantiated amount of time how that BIG TOE will hold up.

that apparently had zero effect on him last season when he led the team in sacks and then appeared at all the off-season workouts/practices this season. Get the guy signed - he's probably our most talented defensive player on the entire team and the second best defensive player. Get it done. He goes to FA and he's probably the number one defensive FA on the market, which means he's as good as gone... although, both Briggs and Samuels are also FA next year, right? Man, it would just be sick to get Dansby back in the frey and FINALLY use that "dry powder" on signing those two guys, just making this defense a freaking beast.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
that apparently had zero effect on him last season when he led the team in sacks and then appeared at all the off-season workouts/practices this season. Get the guy signed - he's probably our most talented defensive player on the entire team and the second best defensive player. Get it done. He goes to FA and he's probably the number one defensive FA on the market, which means he's as good as gone... although, both Briggs and Samuels are also FA next year, right? Man, it would just be sick to get Dansby back in the frey and FINALLY use that "dry powder" on signing those two guys, just making this defense a freaking beast.

Briggs and Samuels - and maybe others, would rank above Dansby as a FA... However, I agree with you here Cheesy... Get the guy signed... I can't even begin to imagine how bad our defense would be without Karlos back there!

the donald

Reaction score

in previous years, yes that very well could have been a penalty. but the NFL is now shying away from protecting the QB so much. i was watching the session with the head refferee on NFL network. he was saying that the borderline late hits will be called less frequently if they are clean.

overall, the QBs will be treated like regular players.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
it wasn't helmet to helmet
You're right. I meant helmet to chin strap which is probably more dangerous to the QB. I was actually surprised Leinart got up so quickly.

Sorry Skorp, i had to get a last word in ;) .

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. I meant helmet to chin strap which is probably more dangerous to the QB. I was actually surprised Leinart got up so quickly.

Sorry Skorp, i had to get a last word in ;) .

But you're wrong. :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blah blah blah. He didn't give up the rushing TD, he almost saved it. He was blocked by Gandy in the second level, got away from the block to make the tackle. If Willis wasn't there, he would have went in untouched.

Second, I do consider 9 tackles, 2 assists, 1 QB hurry and 1 forced fumble a great game. How many other LB's in that game put up those kind of numbers? Look at another rookie Paul Posluszny's stat line. There were a lot of people that said he had a great game too. 9 tackles and 1 assist. No matter how you cut it, Willis had a great game.

Or you must be right, ESPN has everyone but you brainwashed. :sarcasm:

Just because Leinart doesn't get the star treatment that Manning or Brady would, doesn't make it a penalty. The replay CLEARLY shows that this was not a late hit, that he didn't make helmet to helmet contact, and he didn't lead with his head. If you haven't seen the replay, I suggest you watch it again.

FYI the 49ers coaches game review credited Willis with 15 tackles, it was in this morning's paper.

They said he made a few mistakes on reads but overall he graded out extremely high.

That was Mike Singletary who graded him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't he the leading tackler for the 9ers in that game, too.

The man is the real deal, IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI the 49ers coaches game review credited Willis with 15 tackles, it was in this morning's paper.

They said he made a few mistakes on reads but overall he graded out extremely high.

That was Mike Singletary who graded him.

It wouldn't surprise me, he was everywhere.

Odin

Reaction score
So everyone can see it was just a shoulder.

You must be registered for see images

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05