Pats cut player because he was diagnosed with type II diabetes.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dude had a problem with his weight because of it. Even his agent says he should be 100% "soon". They were already rebuilding that line before this, but his weight fluctuation made it easy. Dan Williams didn't even have diabetes and they sat him because of his weight. It happens.

The NFL isn't charity or College, it's big-boy league. Some good quotes from the rookies this year: one of them said it's tough in meetings and in practice because they don't wait for the "slower kids" to catch up like they do in high school or college--they just keep going and if you don't keep up they'll find someone who will. Another player, forget who, from a small school, was in shock that there was Gatorade in every room and that when you needed new cleats some **** would run in and give you new shoes.

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Don't see the irony in a league/ position that requires the player to be large? They were upset that he LOST weight. Dude was just diagnosed, so he will learn to manage the problem and Type II is much less severe than type I. This was a productive player and the pats are
Jerks.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough decision made by a tough organization. No biggie!

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
But would Type II even be a issues for athletes in great shape as you can expect an NFL player is?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Don't see the irony in a league/ position that requires the player to be large? They were upset that he LOST weight. Dude was just diagnosed, so he will learn to manage the problem and Type II is much less severe than type I. This was a productive player and the pats are
Jerks.

Player to be strong.

I know there is the stereotype in all sports, and some players (Andre Smith) re-enforce those stereotypes, that the big guys are "fatty's". Not anymore. These big guys are athletes and need to perform like other athletes.

There are many reasons for getting diabetes and who knows what the case is with Love, but it is a players responsibilty to keep himself heathly even when the sport demands you alter your body for performance reasons. Whether that is putting on wieght or shedding it off.

Take it from a guy that played from 260lbs to 290lbs based on where I was needed. At 290lbs I was not the fastest guy in the first 30min of a game but I was for the 60min.

Being in shape is more then what your body looks like.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I doubt diabetes was a factor - if Pats thought he could paly they would not have cut him.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Type 2 is easily controlled with diet and exercise.

Beerz, are you a diabetic? Just curious because being a type 2 myself, it isn't all its cracked up to be. There are foods you don't even realize can cause spikes and screw your stuff up. Had to make a whole lifestyle change to control mine.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Beerz, are you a diabetic? Just curious because being a type 2 myself, it isn't all its cracked up to be. There are foods you don't even realize can cause spikes and screw your stuff up. Had to make a whole lifestyle change to control mine.

x2. I work my arse off every day to keep from having to medicate myself. If I take a rest day, my numbers spike way the heck out of control. Very frustrating.

Personally, I'd love to see the player get picked up by another team, and squash Brady in a game.... but that's just me hating on New England.

Go Cards!!!

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am and I agree with your assessment. You learn to read labels and control what you eat. Medication is important to keep it in check.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
There has been past athletes who have dealt with not just type 2 diabetes but with type 1 and have been very successful. Gary Hall the Olympic swimmer was famous for having type 1. Fat Man and former starting guard of the Steelers Kendell Simmons had type 2. Those are just two off the top of my head. Cutler has type 1 doesnt he?

If I were the Cards I put in a waiver claim for this guy to see if he can be a rotational guy with Dan Williams. PFF gave him very good grades for his run D.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerks.

Don't forget, Jay Cutler have Type I and is just fine, well health wise he is just fine. ;)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
There has been past athletes who have dealt with not just type 2 diabetes but with type 1 and have been very successful. Gary Hall the Olympic swimmer was famous for having type 1. Fat Man and former starting guard of the Steelers Kendell Simmons had type 2. Those are just two off the top of my head. Cutler has type 1 doesnt he?

If I were the Cards I put in a waiver claim for this guy to see if he can be a rotational guy with Dan Williams. PFF gave him very good grades for his run D.

Yes. Cutler is Type 1

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough decision made by a tough organization. No biggie!

Yep. I would say that the Cards cutting Chris Gedney when he got Crohn's disease is worse. (Unless that is not what happened.). :)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

Yes I am a type 2.

My comment was talking more about a young athlete. It all depends on your age and how bad your condition got. If caught early enough you can get control of it.

You absolutely right abount an entire life style change. That goes for most people, because today's diet is very unhealthy. The amount of sugar in food and drinks is huge compaired to just 20 years ago. The way were going it will be an epidemic in the very near future.

I was able to drop my A1C from over 8.6 down to a 5.5 with diet. Anyone need some diet advice feel free to PM me.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see my folks, I am reminded how bad my diet used to be. I wonder how they don't have diabetes yet.

Yesterday, my Dad ate oatmeal for breakfast, popcorn for lunch, and two hamburgers for dinner. The only vegetables all day long was the lettuce and tomato on the burger. Eesh.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Whenever I see my folks, I am reminded how bad my diet used to be. I wonder how they don't have diabetes yet.

Yesterday, my Dad ate oatmeal for breakfast, popcorn for lunch, and two hamburgers for dinner. The only vegetables all day long was the lettuce and tomato on the burger. Eesh.
Off topic but when I get upset is when I see extremely overweight kids. It isn't fair for the child and its the perents Job to take care of and protect your children. Shove what ever garbage down your throat you like, but don't ruin your kids life. Let them make that choice.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off topic but when I get upset is when I see extremely overweight kids. It isn't fair for the child and its the perents Job to take care of and protect your children. Shove what ever garbage down your throat you like, but don't ruin your kids life. Let them make that choice.

Yep.

Interesting that Love's attorney admitted the player wasn't healthy, but Florio seemed to imply he was healthy, but was fired due to "possibility" of not being healthy.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
x2. I work my arse off every day to keep from having to medicate myself. If I take a rest day, my numbers spike way the heck out of control. Very frustrating.

Personally, I'd love to see the player get picked up by another team, and squash Brady in a game.... but that's just me hating on New England.

Go Cards!!!

Same here. Diagnosed 4 years ago with type 2. My whole lifestyle had to change. Lost weight diet, exercised and take my meds each day. All to keep it under control and stay off insulin. Not easy watching football or BBQ'ing without having a beer.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes I am a type 2.

My comment was talking more about a young athlete. It all depends on your age and how bad your condition got. If caught early enough you can get control of it.

You absolutely right abount an entire life style change. That goes for most people, because today's diet is very unhealthy. The amount of sugar in food and drinks is huge compaired to just 20 years ago. The way were going it will be an epidemic in the very near future.

I was able to drop my A1C from over 8.6 down to a 5.5 with diet. Anyone need some diet advice feel free to PM me.

Good job on lowering the A1C. When I was diagnosed Type 2 my A1C was 14 but I only weighed 210. Weight was the only reason why my doctor did not put me on insulin. So I went on a strict diet, exercise, and medication. That was 4 years ago. Now I weigh 165 and the A1C is 6.7. Still a little high and still working on lowering it but I feel a lot better than I have in years.