Pats cut player because he was diagnosed with type II diabetes.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Same here. Diagnosed 4 years ago with type 2. My whole lifestyle had to change. Lost weight diet, exercised and take my meds each day. All to keep it under control and stay off insulin. Not easy watching football or BBQ'ing without having a beer.

Beer is pretty low in sugar as long as you don't go crazy. But stay away from hard liquor its all sugar.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Good job on lowering the A1C. When I was diagnosed Type 2 my A1C was 14 but I only weighed 210. Weight was the only reason why my doctor did not put me on insulin. So I went on a strict diet, exercise, and medication. That was 4 years ago. Now I weigh 165 and the A1C is 6.7. Still a little high and still working on lowering it but I feel a lot better than I have in years.
210-165? WOW THATS GOOD.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
Off topic but when I get upset is when I see extremely overweight kids. It isn't fair for the child and its the perents Job to take care of and protect your children. Shove what ever garbage down your throat you like, but don't ruin your kids life. Let them make that choice.

x10

What's worse is that it isn't just the parents. Public schools also feed children food that is full of fats and sugars and rarely offer healthier alternatives.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Type 2 is easily controlled with diet and exercise.

I think it would be less of a problem if he was a lighter position. But how heavy he has to be to play his position, he's not going to have an easy time of it.

the article I read stated that he lost 20lbs and put 10 back on. Being 10lbs under weight with so much time before the season wouldn't have been an issue with the majority of other players. It's a shame. His story was inspirational

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Player to be strong.

I know there is the stereotype in all sports, and some players (Andre Smith) re-enforce those stereotypes, that the big guys are "fatty's". Not anymore. These big guys are athletes and need to perform like other athletes.

There are many reasons for getting diabetes and who knows what the case is with Love, but it is a players responsibilty to keep himself heathly even when the sport demands you alter your body for performance reasons. Whether that is putting on wieght or shedding it off.

Take it from a guy that played from 260lbs to 290lbs based on where I was needed. At 290lbs I was not the fastest guy in the first 30min of a game but I was for the 60min.

Being in shape is more then what your body looks like.

There is a genetic factor with diabetes. If your dad or mom has it your chance greatly increase for getting it. Speaking of weight I looked at some of my class pictures from the 7th and 8th grade which was around 1945. There was not even one kid that looked to be overweight much less fat. We had no TV or computer games to keep us on our butts much of the time. We were out playing some sort of ball. There were no McDonalds or KFC although we did get the occasional moon pie and a big orange soda. I was a frequent caddy carrying double for 36 holes and usually for duffers. $.75 a bag for 18 holes but with duffers 18 holes was like 36 holes. The bags weighed almost as much as me as I was a runt. That would keep the weight off of you. I came out of high school weighing almost 140 lb.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
There is a genetic factor with diabetes. If your dad or mom has it your chance greatly increase for getting it. Speaking of weight I looked at some of my class pictures from the 7th and 8th grade which was around 1945. There was not even one kid that looked to be overweight much less fat. We had no TV or computer games to keep us on our butts much of the time. We were out playing some sort of ball. There were no McDonalds or KFC although we did get the occasional moon pie and a big orange soda. I was a frequent caddy carrying double for 36 holes and usually for duffers. $.75 a bag for 18 holes but with duffers 18 holes was like 36 holes. The bags weighed almost as much as me as I was a runt. That would keep the weight off of you. I came out of high school weighing almost 140 lb.

We didn't have modern wheat back then either.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57505149/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/

Then consider the sugars and HFCS that are added to almost everything and we are in a whole new world today.

Then we wonder why diabetes is an epidemic.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
We didn't have modern wheat back then either.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57505149/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/

Then consider the sugars and HFCS that are added to almost everything and we are in a whole new world today.

Then we wonder why diabetes is an epidemic.
Also its man made super sugar, called modified corn starch.. Much much worse that anything else. I read somewhere, that 30 or 40 years ago the average Amount of sugar a person consumed was like 35 table spoons a year. Now its more like 25 per DAY.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Been wheat and gluten free for 2 months now and feel great. Bobby Clarke had a long hockey career with the Flyers and was diabetic.

Glad the guy was picked up.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Been wheat and gluten free for 2 months now and feel great. Bobby Clarke had a long hockey career with the Flyers and was diabetic.

Glad the guy was picked up.

Did you follow a certain diet to go 2 months free? I have been trying the Paleo diet and have lost 20 lbs in 2 months.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pro sports is a business first and last.

If Ryan Williams so much as stubs his toe this year, they should cut him so fast itll make his head spin.

You dont help us win on the bench

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you follow a certain diet to go 2 months free? I have been trying the Paleo diet and have lost 20 lbs in 2 months.

Not really. Just a couple of books with food and recipe suggestions. I feel better and lost 14 lbs but hardly starving myself.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I had very similar results. The best part is the weight has not returned even after a couple years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05