PFW reporting that GB's Mike McKenzie

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Link:http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+North/Green+Bay/Features/2004/reynolds042004.htm

Mentions Cards as one of teams interested. Perhaps Renaldo Hill as trade bait so we don't have to give up a pick as high as a second rounder? (Don't quote me on the Hill thing, it's just me thinking to myself)
I'm sure every team is interested, he is a good player. However if he said he would retire before playing for the Packers again, whats to say he won't say that for another team he doesn't really want to play for.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
If he doesn't want to play in GB, what makes you think he will want to play here? Unless of course he has listed us as one of his desired destinations.

Mike is mad that his position coach was passed over for the GB Defensive Coordinator position.

ESPN Insider said:
Green Bay Packers: For various reasons CB Mike McKenzie isn't happy about being on the roster right now, and he has talked to coach Mike Sherman about his issues. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Sherman and McKenzie have spoken within the last couple of days to discuss McKenzie's unhappiness and desire to be dealt to another team. It was believed to be their first conversation since McKenzie demanded a trade. The Packers originally denied his request to be moved but if they choose to deal him, the timing might not be better than it is right now. The draft is nine days away and the Packers could net an attractive draft choice for the six-year veteran.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I'm sure every team is interested, he is a good player. However if he said he would retire before playing for the Packers again, whats to say he won't say that for another team he doesn't really want to play for.

If all this is true then what you are saying is relevant. However there is no indication that he wouldnt want to play here!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

It isnt that he doenst want to play for GB it is the fact that he has had a fallout with Sherman and some of the other defensive coaches, not sure of the exact situation, but it has nothing to do with GB or money, it is all about the coaches.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Interesting idea on Hill. Give them Hill and our 3rd for McKenzie.

It was just an idea if the Pack wanted an NFL-ready player.

The fact remains none of us know if McKenzie does or doesn't want to play here or what kind of deal it would take to get him. I'm just hoping Rod has done his homework on this one and has at least tried to sell the organization to McKenzie's agent.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
McKenzie, who I think is from Trinidad or some other Caribbean nation, would undoubtedly like the climate here better than in GB.

As I recall we picked Tom Burke three or four picks before McKenzie in 1999. We also took Rheinhart in the 6th round that year! He and Shelton are the only ones left from that draft class.

I would not give out a 2nd rounder, knowing what we'll probably have to pick from there. Then thinking that Sopoago dt, Joey Thomas cb, Stepanovich c, Tatum Bell rb and Kelly Butler ot may be available in the third rnd, I'd want to be real sure McKinzie wanted to come here on good terms. Even then, I'd say the best value would be a 4th rnd pick.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
If he doesn't want to play in GB, what makes you think he will want to play here? Unless of course he has listed us as one of his desired destinations.

Green Bay is a rathole of a place to live. Without Ron Wolf to call the shots and Holmgren to coach the talent, the rats are deserting the ship.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
I'll give them this years 4th or 5th round picks nothing more. Btw the #33 pick is way to high for him.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Green Bay is a rathole of a place to live. Without Ron Wolf to call the shots and Holmgren to coach the talent, the rats are deserting the ship.

The Packers are the ultimate underdog and always will be. They have the smallest market in sports to support them. Some black players don’t like it because there is not much black culture there. Some players in general don’t like it because there isn’t much nightlife compared to the big city teams. Some players don’t want to play in the cold weather or an outdoor stadium during winter.

I like being the underdog. Like coach Sherman once said, you can either look for excuses to lose, or find reasons to win.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Personally I think we should offer better than any other team for his services. he is a great CB and would have been better than almost any available in the free agent market this year. If the best offer they have is a third rounder give them the first pick in the third round. If it is a second I say screw it and give them the #33. We won't be able to draft a better CB that is for sure and we could easily afford to give him the 4 million a year contract. We need a CB of this stature for our organization.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll admit, I don't remember seeing him play, but his numbers are very impressive. If I were the Cards, I wouldn't give up Hill and a draft pick for him.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Here is the link for stats http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4737/career

What I like about McKenzie is he really jams the recievers at the line due to his size. He seems to have good to above average speed and always around the ball. In addition he is a pretty good man to man cover CB that we are going to need bad.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
I really doubt they are looking for a second, however after the Bungles just received a second for Dillon I would not be suprised. I am pretty sure they would bit for that third or fourth round pick.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
ThunderCard said:
I really doubt they are looking for a second, however after the Bungles just received a second for Dillon I would not be suprised. I am pretty sure they would bit for that third or fourth round pick.

For what it is worth, and remember it is just a rumor but, news out of a chicago sports radio show, says that they have heard a rumor that houston has already offered GB there 2nd rounder(#40).

I say give them our 2nd round to beat houston if the rumor is true, or see if our 3rd and Hill would beat houstons offer. Either way, who can we get at #33 that is a better proven player then McKenzie? I will tell you, NO ONE.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Chainthroer said:
I would not give out a 2nd rounder, knowing what we'll probably have to pick from there. Then thinking that Sopoago dt, Joey Thomas cb, Stepanovich c, Tatum Bell rb and Kelly Butler ot may be available in the third rnd, I'd want to be real sure McKinzie wanted to come here on good terms. Even then, I'd say the best value would be a 4th rnd pick.

I agree the 100th pick is plenty.

First off, you don't know what kind of salary he'd demand on a move, and most likely is demanding from GB. GB would be happy with anything worthwhile. Hill might make the deal go but then I'd get something for him in return too, like GB's fifth.

But is he worth it (the money he'd ask)? Remember Hill is still a bargain and you could wrap him up long term for ALOT less. And he's a decent corner, (nickel back). Get a solid rookie to learn while Maklin and Hill split time this year, while bringing along the rook.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
For what it is worth, and remember it is just a rumor but, news out of a chicago sports radio show, says that they have heard a rumor that houston has already offered GB there 2nd rounder(#40).

I say give them our 2nd round to beat houston if the rumor is true, or see if our 3rd and Hill would beat houstons offer. Either way, who can we get at #33 that is a better proven player then McKenzie? I will tell you, NO ONE.

If that were true the deal would've already been done.

Look what Cincy got for a pro-bowl RB. A second , a low (54) second at that.

GB would be lucky to get a mid third round for him.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

That rumor was reported on a Houston radio station yesterday as well. The Houston Texans later denied it and said there was no truth to it.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I hope we offer a 3rd or 4th. We really need depth at CB. If Starks isn't fit we could be in alot of trouble.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Holmgren and Wolf are both overrated.
Sherman I actually thought was underrated, but that PHI was horrendous maybe he isn't as good as I thought.

DG knows McKenzie he coached against him. If he likes him and can get him at a reasonable price I am sure he would at least put his bid in.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Sherman I actually thought was underrated, but that PHI was horrendous maybe he isn't as good as I thought.

DG knows McKenzie he coached against him. If he likes him and can get him at a reasonable price I am sure he would at least put his bid in.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

For being overrated, all 3 of those guys somehow have a better playoff winning percentage than Green has. Wolf owns Super Bowl rings from the Packers and Raiders.

The Packers lost to Philly, but they were on the road and were the underdog. That's not as bad as being a 15-1 team that was the favorite at home and choked in the playoffs.

Bears and Lions fans hate the Packers too, but at least the majority of them keep their objectivity when trashing the Pack.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05