Phoenix should trade for Brandon Jennings

sunsGM

Reaction score
The bucks have not yet extended him and the Bucks need a starting center. Phoenix could trade Gortat for Jennings.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
good grief, yuck.

Gortat is a top 10 c. You do not trade him for a midlevel pg.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lopez for Jennings and now we are talking.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Lopez for Jennings and now we are talking.

+1. Though I don't know why the Bucks would do that, the Suns would have to toss in something/someone else. Jennings probably is what he is, but he does have some upside, Lopez has none.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1. Though I don't know why the Bucks would do that, the Suns would have to toss in something/someone else. Jennings probably is what he is, but he does have some upside, Lopez has none.

Alright fine, they can have Lopez AND his hair.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't trade a big for a small.

Unless it's Lopez.

OP
OP
S

sunsGM

Reaction score
nevermind....bucks came out and said they are not legally able to extend his contract until july 1st, but they know how important he is to their franchise...............so apparently the bucks are not looking to move him. scratch that idea.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
John Hammond said the Bucks plan on beginning contract discussions with Brandon Jennings on July 1.
"Once that date comes around, we'll start discussions," Hammond said. "Until then, we're not allowed to, and that's the reason we haven't.
"I think we all understand the importance of Brandon, who he is to our organization and what he has done for us."
Jennings has shown gradual improvement during each of his three NBA seasons and averaged career-highs in points (19.1), shooting percentage (41.8) and steals (1.6) last season.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Jennings for Gortat? Wait, what? Top 6 pick in this draft plus a salary dump or ****. People act like 7-footers that average 10 rebs a game and run the PnR grow on trees. They don't. Despite the fact that Gortat comes up small in big games (unless its Bynum) you still have to pay a premium for him. You know what does grow on trees? Shoot first PGs that can score 20 a game. We have one as a RFA as a matter of fact.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You would not consider something like

Jennings +#11 for Gortat?

or

Lowry +#14 / #16 and maybe Marcus Morris for Gortat and something?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would not consider something like

Jennings +#11 for Gortat?

or

Lowry +#14 / #16 and maybe Marcus Morris for Gortat and something?

I'll take the Lowry scenario as it allows the Suns to rebuild quickly if the Suns know how to draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take the Lowry scenario as it allows the Suns to rebuild quickly if the Suns know how to draft.

How so? Even the best scouting departments miss often. Two mid-teen picks aren't likely to significantly change the makeup of a bad team (which we will clearly be with Nash gone) especially if you go for the best player available. When you have needs such as ours, you can't go for the best player available, you have to go for the player you think might eventually become the best player. Once you get into projections you might as well buy a crystal ball because so many factors are outside your control (injury, motivation etc).

If we're going to move Gortat, I'd much rather take on a bad contract along with a low first round pick this year and 2 future unprotected picks. Even though this is a deep and strong draft, the majority of 1st round picks will still end up being role players or busts. We already have plenty of role players, we need a Durant/Westbrook kind of duo to put them around. We have too much ground to make up to try and do it in one draft.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How so? Even the best scouting departments miss often. Two mid-teen picks aren't likely to significantly change the makeup of a bad team (which we will clearly be with Nash gone) especially if you go for the best player available. When you have needs such as ours, you can't go for the best player available, you have to go for the player you think might eventually become the best player. Once you get into projections you might as well buy a crystal ball because so many factors are outside your control (injury, motivation etc).

If we're going to move Gortat, I'd much rather take on a bad contract along with a low first round pick this year and 2 future unprotected picks.
Even though this is a deep and strong draft, the majority of 1st round picks will still end up being role players or busts. We already have plenty of role players, we need a Durant/Westbrook kind of duo to put them around. We have too much ground to make up to try and do it in one draft.

Steve

The Suns would be getting a young PG in Lowry in that scenario, maybe Marcus Morris and if the Suns can't hit two out of three with draft picks at #13, 14 and #16... well they should get out of the business. I'm not sure of the value of Gortat but if you see him having this much value I can see where you are coming from. I'm not sure of a team that would pay this price.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns would be getting a young PG in Lowry in that scenario, maybe Marcus Morris and if the Suns can't hit two out of three with draft picks at #13, 14 and #16... well they should get out of the business. I'm not sure of the value of Gortat but if you see him having this much value I can see where you are coming from. I'm not sure of a team that would pay this price.

What do you mean by "hit"? If you're willing to play it safe you can find some decent players in that range but if I read you right you're expecting more than that. If so, I believe your hopes (demands) are unrealistic. Here are the players that were drafted between 13 and 16 the past 5 years: Julian Wright, Al Thornton, Rod Stuckey, Nick Young, Brandon Rush, Anthony Randolph, Robin Lopez, Mareese Speights, Tyler Hansbrough, Earl Clark, Austin Daye, James Johnson, Ed Davis, Patrick Patterson, Larry Sanders, Luke Babbitt, Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris, Kawhi Leonard, Nikola Vucevic.

That list includes some pretty decent players but I really don't see 3 names on there that I could point to and say, get us those guys and we'll be well on our way to contending. I'd trade every name on that list for a Kevin Durant or a Russell Westbrook.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "hit"? If you're willing to play it safe you can find some decent players in that range but if I read you right you're expecting more than that. If so, I believe your hopes (demands) are unrealistic. Here are the players that were drafted between 13 and 16 the past 5 years: Julian Wright, Al Thornton, Rod Stuckey, Nick Young, Brandon Rush, Anthony Randolph, Robin Lopez, Mareese Speights, Tyler Hansbrough, Earl Clark, Austin Daye, James Johnson, Ed Davis, Patrick Patterson, Larry Sanders, Luke Babbitt, Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris, Kawhi Leonard, Nikola Vucevic.

That list includes some pretty decent players but I really don't see 3 names on there that I could point to and say, get us those guys and we'll be well on our way to contending. I'd trade every name on that list for a Kevin Durant or a Russell Westbrook.

Steve

The center piece of the trade would be Lowry. Then the Suns could draft young athletic players with upside at #13, #14 and #16 always with their eye on talent and the future. The Suns are not going anywhere next season anyway. If one can get a better trade for Gortat so be it. I'm just playing the game if the Suns traded Gortat.

Maybe the Suns can throw Childress in the trade. :D

There is an article in RealGm that describes what the Suns thought process should be in drafting written by By Ronald Tillery.
"You can't just pigeonhole yourself into a pick by saying we're going to take the best two guard available or the best three man available," said Tony Barone Sr., Griz director of player personnel. "This is a talent league so you always have to consider the most talented player at that pick. Needs come into it, but talent is really the bottom line."

Via Memphis Commercial Appeal

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jun/17/grizzlies-prepping-for-draft/?partner=RSS

The Grizzlies draft at #25, but it still holds true.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think it's incredibly unlikely that the Rockets will let Lowry go in favor of Dragic. They'll keep both or only Lowry.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's incredibly unlikely that the Rockets will let Lowry go in favor of Dragic. They'll keep both or only Lowry.

That would be great news for us. I would love to bring Dragic back.

About Brandon Jennings, wouldn't it be easier just to sign Aaron Brooks? They bring about the same thing to the table.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be great news for us. I would love to bring Dragic back.

About Brandon Jennings, wouldn't it be easier just to sign Aaron Brooks? They bring about the same thing to the table.

I still worry Dragic quit giving his best to the Suns. He didn't workout well for the Suns the first go around. I'm not willing to pay him more money (which I think he will get) for a second go around even if Nash leaves.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how many of these high risk/high reward players have actually turned into high reward players drafted 10-20. I'm talking since the players had to go to one year of college.I would go with good, solid, role player types. They are great trade assets at the least.

Joe

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how many of these high risk/high reward players have actually turned into high reward players drafted 10-20. I'm talking since the players had to go to one year of college.I would go with good, solid, role player types. They are great trade assets at the least.

Joe

Very few. Most of the time they don't fall out of the top 10 but this is a deeper draft than usual. Also, with the screwy NBA age rule more freshman come out today than used to so you have a larger group that falls into that talented-but-mostly-unproven player pool to draw from. In general, taking a huge gamble at the 13 spot is probably a bad idea. If we had almost anything else to cling to, I'd be pushing for us to grab a safe, solid player and leave the gambling to the perpetual losers. Unfortunately, I think we're about to join that perpetual losers crowd once Nash leaves (or once his game takes another inevitable dip).

I'm not sure my thinking is really correct on this but for me, I see it this way. Take a huge risk on a player that might become a game changer. If you fail (and you probably will), you're looking at a better draft slot and a better chance to grab that game changer. Even if you get lucky and find a Kevin Durant in the making, you're still probably going to be a top of the lottery team for a few years.

Steve

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Williams opts out of his contract from the 76ers.

please no to brooks. i'd take jennings over him, and Dragic of jennings and brooks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05