Phoenix vs.Houston game thread

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Another solid performance by Marion. hopefully all the bashers shut the f%$K up now.

I'll wait till Amare comes back to make a judgement call. Shawn will have to accept that he'll be the third option which I'm not sure he's mature enough to do - we'll see though.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great Performance

I only caught the second half, but except for cold shooting at the start of the 3rd quarter it was a great performance. Defense was best I've seen this year. Shawn and JJ attacked the basket. White was a big factor with 10 rebounds and 4 blocks.

The Rockets played on Friday, but I they did not seem tired. It was just that the Suns played better. They held the Rockets to only 36.7%. The Suns blocked 7 shots compared to 5 by the Rockets.

It was their best performance of the year. The Dallas game was one where the Suns were hitting their shots and the Mavs weren't. In this game, the Suns defense was super.

:fans:

Last edited:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
From the net, it looked like the Suns were doing a great job--especially taking the ball inside, which got Yao Ming in foul trouble.

It looks like Shawn Marion and Jahidi White both had good games.

The Suns got the FG% they wanted on both ends of the floor, which says to me that they probably deserved to win tonight. ;)

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Of course those were the stats before the Rockets started to intentionally foul the Suns.

Well, there's proof that you aren't watching the game. Are you even listening to it, or are you just facing all of his negativity on statistics? The Houston Rockets did not intentionally foul the Phoenix Suns but one time. That's two free throws. That can make up for the two free throws Yao Ming took on that horrible charging call against Jahidi White.

Joe Mama

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by the3rdside
I'll wait till Amare comes back to make a judgement call. Shawn will have to accept that he'll be the third option which I'm not sure he's mature enough to do - we'll see though.

i don't see this as an issue. Amare isn't the man just yet, so i'm not sure Marion should be taking that much of a back seat. Plus Marion is a guy that can get his points through hustle. Doesn't really require alot of plays to be run for him. It's the little things that we take for granted in his game like the steals, the blocks and of course his rebounding is sensational for a SF.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys ready for this whopper? Here goes - posted this on another thread:

okay - now you all are going to call me absolutely nuts here - but here's my prediction - IF the Suns are within 7 games of .500 when Amare and Zarko come back - they sneak into the playoffs as the 8 seed. I don't know why - but one - this team, even without those guys is starting to actually become a little competitve and with those guys - this team has the ability to be very good - not to mention there are always teams that come out of the gate who stumble as the season goes along (would it shock anyone to see Seattle, Clippers, Memphis and even Denver back hovering around.500 by season's end).

I know this is a stretch - but I am the same guy who in college, stood up in my frat monday meeting and proclaimed the Suns would make the playoffs in 1997 - they were 0-14 at the time. If the effort like the last couple games continues - and this team can just keep up until the big guys come back - I can see us going on a late season run - likely - no - possible - not really - but hey - we can't give up on the season already.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Plus Marion is a guy that can get his points through hustle. Doesn't really require alot of plays to be run for him.

I totally agree but, if and when they decide to go through amare i just wonder if he'll be happy to take backseat to a second year player.

When frank was still here, i dont think we ever heard who exactly were the players that were tuning him out and my guess is that Shawn was one of, if not the main one. That says something to me regarding his attitude - was he pouting? will he pout again? I hope not of course but you never know.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
With less than 3 minutes to the Rockets had 29FTA and the Suns had 15.

Then Francis commits an absolutely stupid foul and a T on top of it go give Marbury 4 freethrows.

The next 4 freethrows were with the Suns up by 10+ already.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Then Francis commits an absolutely stupid foul and a T on top of it go give Marbury 4 freethrows.

And the Suns suck, right? No matter what? This was a lucky win--we didn't deserve it, just like we didn't deserve the rest of our wins. Right?

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
I agree, this season is far from over. teams like Denver, houston, and seattle, will come back to reality as the season pans out.

I still rate us better then all of them. If we can break even on wins whilst amare and zarko are out i'm thinking we can put together some big runs throughout season when they're back.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's great, but I just watched the game. I only remember one intentional foul at the end of the game. Besides, what do you expect when they are playing a big team without their power forwards?

The Phoenix Suns won the game because they played good defense and shot the ball well overall, especially in the fourth quarter. I'm really not sure what more you want.

I've enjoyed watching this team since D'Antoni took over.

Joe Mama

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by the3rdside
I totally agree but, if and when they decide to go through amare i just wonder if he'll be happy to take backseat to a second year player.

When frank was still here, i dont think we ever heard who exactly were the players that were tuning him out and my guess is that Shawn was one of, if not the main one. That says something to me regarding his attitude - was he pouting? will he pout again? I hope not of course but you never know.

Hopefully they can see what potential they possess when all 3 are firing. Regardless of who's the No1, No2, or No3 the Suns will only suceed if all 3 are playing together, feeding off one another. I think Marion will just play his game and let everything take care of itself.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marion will adjust

The Suns ball movement opened the lane for Shawn to attack the basket. As long as everyone tries to hit the open man, Shawn will get his touches. The direction of the offense only matters if guys refuse to pass the ball.

scudney

Registered
Reaction score
crap.. i just got back home... and what do u know, i screwed up taping the game.. damn, looks like i missed out on a good game

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was at the game tonight and the 4th qtr was great. I have 1 question though, When Jahidi White went to the basket in the 4th qtr and hit into Ming and threw a shot up that went in, what was the correct call? It looked like Ming was inside the circle, but I was upper level at the other end of the court.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbeecham
I was at the game tonight and the 4th qtr was great. I have 1 question though, When Jahidi White went to the basket in the 4th qtr and hit into Ming and threw a shot up that went in, what was the correct call? It looked like Ming was inside the circle, but I was upper level at the other end of the court.

Ming's heels were inside the circle, yes.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I was at the game as well. That Ming call was horrible. Then Jahadi got pissed and fouled him on the next play, which eventually put him out for the game. He was playing nicely too.

I was glad to see JJ get two clutch hoops, and not just short jumpers. A 3 and a 3 point play.

Marion turned it on big time in the 4th quarter.

There wasn't much intentional fouling at all. The 4 FTs for Marbury definitely wasnt intentional, they were just stupid.

Great game all around. The suns toughed it out. Getting Ming in foul trouble was instrumental. He played only 9 minutes through the first 3 quarters, and had that call not been switched, he would have seen a lot less action. If we had been forced to matchup with a Cato Ming front line, it could have been a long night.

matt_whitlock

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You know, you could analyze the hell out of tonight's game, talking about the coaching change, Marion's resurgence, JJ's added consistency, Penny's very solid play, etc. but the bottom line seems to be:

The Suns are simply starting to play well. And all other things aside, it makes my life a much more enjoyable experience. So that's a positive....

Big test tomorrow. Lakers in LA? I hear they're kinda good this year.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm sorry Matt, I missed the penny's solid play comment?
The suns finally played a good defensive game tonight, I saw the intensity tonight that has been lacking all year! That is what is going to turn this thing around, if it does turn around. The intensity on D also creates alot more team play on offense. I only saw the last part of the 2nd Quarter and the 2nd half tonight but it looked like every one was on the same page. JJ's 3 point play was sick!!! He still has a lot of indiscission with his jump shot, but after that play he was just playing ball with out having to think about what he was doing, and looked like a different player after that. Casey is steadily improving with his consistency shooting and playing D :thumbup: Shawn was absolutly huge in the 4th qtr. His defense and offense was worthy of a max player salary tonight, hopefully he can continue this type of play though out the rest of the year! 1st game in along time I can remember steph not trying to do it all by himself in the 4th quarter, hopefully this will become a trend. Good to be back on the winning side again.:thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We certainly needed another win.

Hey at least we aren't the Denver Nuggets, who got torched for 31 points by that offensive juggernaut, rookie Richie Frahm! :confused:

Errntknght

Reaction score
On the broadcast they showed a replay of Jahidi's charging foul from the endline camera looking right up the lane. Not only were both of Ming's heels inside the stripe he was still moving laterally at impact. Confirming that refs call what they expect to see instead of what they see a lot of the time. Actually, I think the ref on the baseline who first called it had it right but the two with no view overruled him.

Marbs made a smart play to draw that foul on Francis... the latter had his arm out in front of Stephon who swung his arms up into it as though he was trying to get off a shot then hammed it up a bit. Until I saw the replay at a better angle I thought Francis might have a legit beef but he just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Reverse the roles and Stevie would scream his head off if the refs failed to make the call.

The fourth Q was great... even if the shots hadn't started to fall like rain the Suns would have eked it out. They were staying right with the game plan all the way... no forced or rushed shots, no dribbling for 15 seconds without a pass, no one refusing a good open shot.

People are saying the team quit on FJ and while there is some truth to it, Frankie earned it in spades. I don't know how many times I said last year I didn't know why the players weren't disheartened by a coach that wasn't getting them adequately prepped for the games besides his poor sideline coaching. Well, it finally happened. Credit the guys with being too loyal, if anything, to a coach who wasn't doing his job.